Got an impromptu lesson from an LPGA veteran today.

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been at a breaking point with my game lately. Like, I'm ready to quit the game breaking point. '

So, I go to the range today hoping to salvage some measure of hope. Two large buckets later and I'm one step closer to selling everything and walking away. I was more lost than when I showed up to begin with. Deflated, I mosey over to the putting green and roll a for a while. While there I noticed an older lady pulling clubs out of a big bag and shoving a few in a smaller Sunday bag. I don't know why I noticed but she was very deliberate about everything that she was doing. I also don't know why I found it to be so odd, but I did.

She gets her bag together and gets a large bucket of balls. Now, mind you, this lady is about 80 years old. I'm thinking to myself "Well, that's ambitious". I don't much mind to her until I'm getting ready to leave the practice area altogether. Walking to my cart I see a swing that I've never seen from an 80 year old woman. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like she was striping it down the range 250 yards. In fact, she was popping a wedge out there at the 100 yard marker. But she was doing it so efficiently and repeatedly that I couldn't help but notice. I sit in my cart and watch her hit about 15 balls and I finally say "Something tells me that you've spent a lot of time playing this game". She said "I guess you could say that. I played on the LPGA for about 23 years". Uhhhhh, interest piqued at a HIGH level, at this point. She continues to hit balls and I continue to give my undivided attention. Finally, I ask her "Can you please look at something for me"? She says "I suppose I could take a peak".

So there are several things that are not ideal with my swing. First and foremost is my position at the top. I KNOW that its' crap and the more that I try to fix it on my own, the worse it gets. I explain to her my miss(es) and that I'm almost certain that I'm close but that there's a fundamental flaw that is keeping me from putting something, at least somewhat, playable together. She has me take my swing to the top and makes a suggestion of a feel. She has me do it again two more times and realizes pretty quickly that what she's trying to communicate isn't translating. So, she says think of it like this "......." and boom! "That's it. Now, you've got it". To this point, I hadn't even hit a ball (mine were spent an hour earlier). She pushes two of her balls toward me and says "Now, hit one". Bang. Right at the 150 yard marker (playing at 162 today due to the position on the practice tee) and flying past. Like, 5 yards past. Then she says "Hit one more. Let's confirm". Same thing (I actually pushed this one about 3 yards). "Oh yeah, you can play with that", she says.

I thank her profusely and ask her her name. She introduces herself as Sharon Miller. I say "I owe you a ton of money, Sharon". She chuckled and said "We'll call this one a freebie". I thanked her again and asked where she teaches (San Ignacio in Tucson), went on my way and went directly to the pro shop and ask Jan (the lady who basically runs the whole show in the pro shop) what she knows about this lady. She gives me the entire run down. Colorado Golf Hall of Fame, 3 wins on the LPGA Tour, and so on. I get home and dive down the Google rabbit hole. Pretty impressive lady. And, most importantly, she sucked me back in. I CAN'T WAIT to get back out there again a mere hours after I was seriously considering hanging this sh!t up.

God I love/hate this game. 🤷‍♂️

That's awesome, but you forgot to share the tip LOL!

what a great experience! are you going to look her up and take some lessons?

Very cool story. Almost everyone needs a professional set of eyes on their swing when they are struggling. PGA pros have instructors I am not sure why we think we can fix ourselves.

I wish she was closer! I find I learn so much better from Female coaches then males. I always feel like it turns into a competition between me and a male instructor. I just do not take the "dude bro" very well. This is mostly from me being a male and always have the " oh yeah prove it attitude" that females never seem to bring out in me. I am much more respectful and want to hear insights. To many years of male golf coaches being A-holes as a kid and the old "those that can't do...teach" hammered into my head throughout the military. I just cannot learn from a male golf coach without getting pissed at them, it is very counterproductive for me.

I'd go pay for a lesson or two from this Lady. If for no other reason than as a "thank you".

Ironically my oldest son in law's aunt played on the lpga tour a few decades ago. Never met the Lady, or know her name. I know she lives in Reno, and that when he comes back grom visiting her, his game is about 5 strokes better than his normal
average. At least for awhile, until his old, bad swing habits creep back in.

I love stories like this. What a gift of an experience at just the right time. Awesome.

That's awesome, but you forgot to share the tip LOL!
Have you ever heard the tip of holding a waiter's tray at the top of your swing? It changed everything for me. No more trying to rotate everything through with perfect timing at the bottom of the swing. Just fire through to my target at the bottom of my swing. :D

Great to hear you’ve found a renewed passion for the game and instructor!

What a great story!

That is one awesome story! Good luck with the lessons!

I'm not sure what's more cool about that story...that she was able to help you with your golf swing or that she even took the time out of her own range time to take a look at your swing and give you a tip!

Yep, if that happened to me I'd be booking lessons with her immediately as well. Glad you got a renewed interest is golf!

What a great story!

That has to be one of the best posts on the site!

Fantastic story and one I’m sure you will be telling for quite a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been at a breaking point with my game lately. Like, I'm ready to quit the game breaking point. '

So, I go to the range today hoping to salvage some measure of hope. Two large buckets later and I'm one step closer to selling everything and walking away. I was more lost than when I showed up to begin with. Deflated, I mosey over to the putting green and roll a for a while. While there I noticed an older lady pulling clubs out of a big bag and shoving a few in a smaller Sunday bag. I don't know why I noticed but she was very deliberate about everything that she was doing. I also don't know why I found it to be so odd, but I did.

She gets her bag together and gets a large bucket of balls. Now, mind you, this lady is about 80 years old. I'm thinking to myself "Well, that's ambitious". I don't much mind to her until I'm getting ready to leave the practice area altogether. Walking to my cart I see a swing that I've never seen from an 80 year old woman. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like she was striping it down the range 250 yards. In fact, she was popping a wedge out there at the 100 yard marker. But she was doing it so efficiently and repeatedly that I couldn't help but notice. I sit in my cart and watch her hit about 15 balls and I finally say "Something tells me that you've spent a lot of time playing this game". She said "I guess you could say that. I played on the LPGA for about 23 years". Uhhhhh, interest piqued at a HIGH level, at this point. She continues to hit balls and I continue to give my undivided attention. Finally, I ask her "Can you please look at something for me"? She says "I suppose I could take a peak".

So there are several things that are not ideal with my swing. First and foremost is my position at the top. I KNOW that its' crap and the more that I try to fix it on my own, the worse it gets. I explain to her my miss(es) and that I'm almost certain that I'm close but that there's a fundamental flaw that is keeping me from putting something, at least somewhat, playable together. She has me take my swing to the top and makes a suggestion of a feel. She has me do it again two more times and realizes pretty quickly that what she's trying to communicate isn't translating. So, she says think of it like this "......." and boom! "That's it. Now, you've got it". To this point, I hadn't even hit a ball (mine were spent an hour earlier). She pushes two of her balls toward me and says "Now, hit one". Bang. Right at the 150 yard marker (playing at 162 today due to the position on the practice tee) and flying past. Like, 5 yards past. Then she says "Hit one more. Let's confirm". Same thing (I actually pushed this one about 3 yards). "Oh yeah, you can play with that", she says.

I thank her profusely and ask her her name. She introduces herself as Sharon Miller. I say "I owe you a ton of money, Sharon". She chuckled and said "We'll call this one a freebie". I thanked her again and asked where she teaches (San Ignacio in Tucson), went on my way and went directly to the pro shop and ask Jan (the lady who basically runs the whole show in the pro shop) what she knows about this lady. She gives me the entire run down. Colorado Golf Hall of Fame, 3 wins on the LPGA Tour, and so on. I get home and dive down the Google rabbit hole. Pretty impressive lady. And, most importantly, she sucked me back in. I CAN'T WAIT to get back out there again a mere hours after I was seriously considering hanging this sh!t up.

God I love/hate this game. 🤷‍♂️

That is AWESOME! I have always liked talking with older people no matter what their background. You can always learn something from them because they have been there and bought the t-shirt. What you got today was worth it's weight in gold. I'm so jealous!

We’ll be ready to smoke ‘em at Southern Dunes!! ;)

Wow. Great story. Makes you want to if you could...

I reckon Sharon deserves a bucket of balls and a box of chocolates and coffee , and thank you card . ‘ a Grateful lesson and person to match ‘ leave it for her next time you near ....

Sometimes the best lessons are those not sought or bought , but that little pearl of wisdom, fixes frustrations in a flash )

good for you 😁

Back