Pears

Albatross 2022 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
20 Grint
A couple GPS items came up in the grab bag thread and has got me thinking more about one for myself. I am wondering for those of you that use one, what your thoughts. I have never used gps on the course or thought about having one until recently. I'm thinking more along the lines of a clip on or a watch style.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be great. Thanks

I went with one of the Izzo models- first the 4000 series, then I'm currently using the 5000 series. It's simple to use to get distances to front, middle, back as well as distances to and carry distances to various hazards. I'm not THAT good that I need pinpoint yardages with a laser, that's for sure. But a number to near where the pin is makes club selections a bit easier. Wind, slopes, etc... still make *you* decide on what club to play, though.

GolfBuddy is great. Gives front,middle and back of green. Clips on belt and small. Plus you can find them cheap this time of year.

I went with one of the Izzo models- first the 4000 series, then I'm currently using the 5000 series. It's simple to use to get distances to front, middle, back as well as distances to and carry distances to various hazards. I'm not THAT good that I need pinpoint yardages with a laser, that's for sure. But a number to near where the pin is makes club selections a bit easier. Wind, slopes, etc... still make *you* decide on what club to play, though.

This is what I'm looking for as well, just basic yardage.

GolfBuddy is great. Gives front,middle and back of green. Clips on belt and small. Plus you can find them cheap this time of year.

Deals this time of year helps. I guess is why I'm more interested now. Plus I would like something easy to use. Last thing I want to do is slow game play down.

Has anyone tried the Garmin G10 at all?? The two above and this are about the same price point, which is what I would like to invest.

Haven't tried the Garmin.

I use an app on my phone for FCB and hazard yardages. Inside 150 I use my Golf Buddy LR7. Will admit, the sale prices on some of watches has me looking real hard right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gps/ rangefinder

I usually use the free app Golf Pad which is really great, but there’s one course that I don’t get good cellphone reception on so I just ordered Bushnell Phantom GPS for $79.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an app on my phone for FCB and hazard yardages. Inside 150 I use my Golf Buddy LR7. Will admit, the sale prices on some of watches has me looking real hard right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually use the free app Golf Pad which is really great, but there’s one course that I don’t get good cellphone reception on so I just ordered Bushnell Phantom GPS for $79.99.

I really don't want to have to use my phone, and a handheld isn't the direction I want. I will however check out that Bushnell also.

not to highjack the thread, but anyone have an opinion on an app for the Apple watch or is it better to buy a separate GPS?

Last edited:
not to highjack the thread, but anyone have an opinion on an app for the Apple watch or is it better to by a separate GPS?

Ah, no worries. Hopefully someone can help with your question also.

The Garmin Z80(with the latest firmware update) is absolutely amazing. Hybrid GPS/rangefinder and I find it to be the most helpful tool on the course that I’ve ever used.

I use both a Bushnell Phantom GPS and Leupold Rangefinder. I find that I use the GPS on every hole......and the rangefinder only on par 3’s.

I use both a Bushnell Phantom GPS and Leupold Rangefinder. I find that I use the GPS on every hole......and the rangefinder only on par 3’s.

Thank you for that, I definitely want something I can use more often.

Lots of choices for sure, even have those “voice yardage” ones that clip on belt or brim of hat.

I tried the phone apps... they work for the most part- some will work without good service if you load the course locally to phone and use GPS. But— the reason I play is to get AWAY from the phone and other distractions. “Oh, I only use the app..” then you check NFL scores... “just once”. Then you have to post a pic of that buried lie on 13, then it’s ringing because someone at work is an idiot and it’s no longer a relaxing day. Phone stays in car while I play.

I was always the anti-rangefinder guy. Thought they were far too expensive and such. I've used MANY different apps and really started having problems with them this year. Through the years I've used Golflogix, Skydroid, Swingxswing, The Grint, Golfpad and a few others. I recently tried the Bushnell V4 that my dad got and liked what it brought to the table compared to the apps. My issues with the apps this year were inaccuracies between GPS and the rangefinder and apps not updating when a course changes their layout, scorecard etc. Plus there are many private courses that don't provide yardage on course or won't allow the GPS mapping. Ran into that as well. With all that said, I ended up buying the Nikon 80vr. It's on sale right now for $169.99 at the PGA Superstore. Everything I've read has said it is as good or slightly better than the V4. Guess we'll see. But for $110 cheaper than the V4 it was a no brainer.

I use a golf buddy world for FCB, distance to hazards or unseen trouble. I also have a bushnell pinseeker 1600 for approach shots.

Back