I use both (Garmin Fēnix 6 and Bushnell Tour V3) because there are certain conditions where each one is better than the other. Lasers are useless for blind shots - if you can't see it, you can't shoot it - and GPS (at least on my watch) can't give me yardages to random things I might want to use as targets (or avoid).

My home course also has touchscreen GPS in the carts, but it has what I call the "Bitchin' Betty" feature that shuts the cart down when you go into certain areas of the course, so I usually just turn it off.
I wish our carts had the GPS.. Pretty jealous of that simplicity honestly.

Maybe I'll get the SkyCaddie going again, but leave it in the cart and take my rangefinder to the ball if it's not immediately beside it. Seems efficient.

I wish our carts had the GPS.. Pretty jealous of that simplicity honestly.

Maybe I'll get the SkyCaddie going again, but leave it in the cart and take my rangefinder to the ball if it's not immediately beside it. Seems efficient.
The ones in the carts are awesome if you don't already have a GPS device. Being able to touch the screen and get a measurement to virtually anything is pretty cool.

SkyCaddie in the cart and rangefinder with you if you're away from the cart is a pretty efficient setup. I rely on the rangefinder more for approach shots - on tee shots and/or second shots on par 5s, GPS is plenty accurate enough for me - I just want a rough idea of which club to hit, it doesn't need to be precise.

Am still pondering a laser at the moment. Currently I just use a watch which gives front, middle and back and that suits me fine. Occasionally if I need the distance to a hazard, or dogleg or forced carry, something like that I will pull out my phone and use the Arccos rangefinder which does that really well. Thinking of a laser just so I don't have to bother about opening up the app and messing about like that - but is it worth the extra money just for a second or two of convenience? Not convinced as yet...

My previous watch just gave me front, middle and back yardages, but my new one gives me an overview of the hole along with the hazards and you can tap on the screen and get yardages to all of them on the hole

I had been considering a laser before getting a new watch, but I think a lot of the newer GPS devices have more features that negate my need for one - however, any course info is still dependent on the maps being up to date, so there can still be times when a GPS device doesn't give the correct information if a course has changed slightly

I have always really enjoyed the debate on having your phone used during play for something like that.

Personally, I am pro "keep my phone away from me" even though it's usually in my pocket haha - just not on. Maybe that's why I used the SkyCaddie for so many years.
I can see that point too, I try not ever take a call or test messages while playing though. But I do like to take pictures of the course especially if a new to me course.

hahaha it's been a long year. I vaguely sort of maybe remember discussing it.

i have a sx500 as well but I prefer the 400.

I’m nuts. It’s not uncommon for me to have 3 devices going during a round. I use my Precision Pro NX9 Slope for maybe 95% of shots. But I track using the Shotscope V3 so I have the gps numbers on my watch and sometimes will corroborate my lasered yardage just in case I picked up a tree instead of the flag.

For rounds at a new course I also bring my older Bushnell handheld gps that has a screen where can see hole layouts, ponds etc.

If I could only have one, it would be a range finder.

However, in this day and age, having access to both isn't really all that much of a luxury for most of us. My home course has GPS on the carts and I have the GolfLogix app on my phone, but I rarely use either of them.

My Bushnell V4 Slope (I seldom rely on the slope feature) works for me most of the time. Though, on new courses (to me), I do appreciate GPS the first few times around. The problem I have with GPS is it's limited in getting exact distances to nearly everything on the course other than the few generic, pre-programmed spots mapped in. Whereas a good RF allows you the ability to shoot the back of a bunker, the safe distance to carry a pond/wetlands....at any point along the far edge, a mogul or ridge, a branch or tree in your path, the group ahead so you know they are far enough out of range, and virtually any other specific, visible spot on the course. PLUS, it allows you to get a clearer picture of the green complex when you use the 6-to-1 or 5-to-1 magnification built in. It's basically like looking through binoculars/a monocular/telescope.

I’ve had Arccos for a couple years now and just got a Bushnell V5 (no slope) and I absolutely love it! Much more so than the GPS. Par three tee boxes are nice as pin placement and hitting location can mean a club change. I also like the scope aspect, looking g down the course and picking a specific target.

I’m thinking I would play better with a gps watch. Probably would shoot better scores playing a center or back yardage rather then pin yardage. Seems like most will have distances front and back to most hazards so I might roll gps for a while and see how it goes.

Watch with f/m/b. Pick middle and swing away. I usually shoot better just aiming for center of green. Flag hunting hasn't served me too well lately.

GPS watch. But considering a really cheap laser for range practice. They move the teeing areas so much you really have no idea how far away the yardage markers are.

Back