I like to know the distance to the pin but I also like to know the front and back numbers.

If I had to choose one, it would be a laser rangefinder

I carry both, with the lazer getting the most use. It's the quicker one of the two for me to use. Especially when riding.

That said, I rarely use either one when playing for a score. Most of their use is during my practice routines. Saves a little on course time.

When playing, I see shots, (lies/yardages) and just pull the appropriate club.

I prefer laser, that way it is an exact number to the target.

...However, GPS is inherently inaccurate by comparison, with even the best accuracy stated as being 95% of the time. GPS.GOV states smart phone accuracy at a 16 foot radius. Higher end devices using augmentation systems, dual frequency or other error correction hardware or software can improve accuracy significantly.
16 feet is just over 5 yards - my distance control with my irons probably isn't that precise! :LOL:

16 feet is just over 5 yards - my distance control with my irons probably isn't that precise! :LOL:
I doubt that mine is much better! :LOL:

However, if one is a "gambler" and is trying, say, to get the ball close to a pin cut tight behind a bunker, 5 yards can spell success or failure; same with trying to lay up to a hazard.

I have happily just used a GPS watch for years, I have recently invested in a laser as I found on some holes I wanted a distance to the pin when I couldn't see the bottom of it so I was guessing front middle or back pin placements. So far the jury is out as whether it is making a difference but if i had to choose it would be the watch for me.

use lazer almost 100%, but i think Bushnell Phantom/Ghost or Arccos GPS might be better for my approach shots.

I have both, use the GPS the most but I’ll bring the rangefinder out when I want to be more precise.

I have had both previously, but I found myself only using my GPS as of late.

I use both. Arccos and bushnell rangefider.

I only have a laser now. I did have a Callaway GPS POS and am glad that thing is long gone.
I prefer the laser although over the horizon distances would be nice sometimes.

I have both. But I am about done with the GPS. My Garmin S20 works perfect when I am between software updates. But updating it is a pain. Software is complete junk. I can't get support to respond. The sensors are complete trash. Haven't gotten them to consistently connect and as of right now I can only get 3 of them to connect at all.

I have both but I only use GPS to (very rarely) mark shots here and there.

Both but early in the season I most often use the "back" number on the GPS -- helps reduce the number of shots that come up short and/or roll back from false fronts.

man i used to be a laser or nothing kinda guy, but i've gone 180 and almost never use my laser anymore. my ball striking is too inconsistent to care about a 2-5 yard margin of error in gps vs using the laser.
This sums it up for me! I just need general distances and I am good.

I have both, although my GPS is outdated except for the courses that were programmed years ago.
I find the GPS helpful on courses that I don't know (trouble you can't see), but I prefer the Laser by a long shot, especially when you can see the trouble you have to navigate like bunkers, water etc...I also use it to mark dogleg trees and such.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

I've had a GPS for maybe 10 years now. I chose that because I'm not a great golfer (varies between 15-20 hdcp) and frequently find myself off the fairway and even behind hills. A laser does you no good if you can't see the flag. With the GPS I always know how far away from the front, center and back of the green. If the laser is more accurate (?) there is not enough difference to make a difference in my game. My game is not that precise.

I have both but mostly use my Arccos. I walk most of the time and find the weight of the laser on top of everything else to be too much. I generally get front back left right numbers. Only time I miss the laser is on wedge shots from 50-145.
GPS might be a tad off but I have yet to meet someone who could repeatedly hit any club to the exact number every time 😂 2-3 yards to center of green is fine.

Just as an experiment today, I left my rangefinder in the bag and played off the GPS distances on my watch for everything except a couple shots where I wanted to double check carry distances to clear hazards. I didn't notice any difference from my usual game, where I usually use the rangefinder a lot more for pins.

If I was forced to give up one or the other it would be my rangefinder, since my Garmin watch also tracks all my shots/distances, uploads my scorecards to Garmin Golf, and is also my daily activity tracker.

I'm kinda waiting for a hybrid which has GPS and laser combined. Carrying both is a pain.

I'm kinda waiting for a hybrid which has GPS and laser combined. Carrying both is a pain.
Voice Caddie has a great hybrid device.

sometimes I miss the depth of info that comes with a GPS both off the tee and green based location points, but it is impossible to beat the ease of use of a rangefinder. One or two zaps and you know what you need to know.

Bushnell has a Hybrid Laser/GPS.
1620753981466.png

Works great, quick glance to get yardage to the center of green. Or laser to the exact distance.

I have used a hybrid laser/GPS and it is really good (Voice Caddie SL1), but I find myself leaving it in the bag and just using the Arccos GPS on my phone most of the time.

Back