I have both and use the GPS %90 of the time. My hands are not steady enough to be quick with the laser. So I mostly only use it when I'm by myself.

This thread makes me want to buy a laser at some point. What's a good, basic, entry level model?

I have/had both. GPS is quicker, but in my area it's not always accurate or working really well. So, that's why I like the laser. I'm not a pro looking for half yard distances, so it's not to big of deal to use the GPS....IF......it works on the course I'm playing.

I have both. The Bushnell laser has stayed at home for a long while. I really like my Garmin S60 GPS watch. Faster, easier to use and it's accuracy is beyond my abilities.

This thread makes me want to buy a laser at some point. What's a good, basic, entry level model?
For significantly less than the L1 you can get the Caddytek laser which also has slope from either Amazon, or even less expensive, from Costco on-line where it is NOT a member only item. I have one I've used for several years no with no issues or problems.

I have a laser but have thought about a smaller cheap GPS to try out. I find that a lot of times I try to be to precise with the laser

For significantly less than the L1 you can get the Caddytek laser which also has slope from either Amazon, or even less expensive, from Costco on-line where it is NOT a member only item. I have one I've used for several years no with no issues or problems.
That’s fantastic . We went through 3 of them in a 6 month process due to issues with battery connection.

I use the ShotScope V3. Since Im not pin hunting, GPS serves the purpose well. I get distances to the front, middle and back of greens and can estimate from there. As with other devices, it also gives distances to hazards, bunkers, etc.

I've been mostly a laser user for probably 4 years now but it seems like I use my phone GPS more and more these days. It has me seriously contemplating going back to a GPS watch. Maybe that will help me focus on hitting to the middle of the green.

Though I understand that the GPS is faster, my rangefinder takes me less that 5 seconds to shoot the pin and return it to the holder I made for it on my MGI. It's just not an impactful amount of time.

I always know the exact distance to the pin...so, I don't own a gps watch and just don't see any reason for it.

That’s fantastic . We went through 3 of them in a 6 month process due to issues with battery connection.
Wonder if that was just a bad batch. Come to think of it, I may have had a similar issue and was told to clean the contacts in the unit with a pencil eraser. I did that once and have never had a problem since. At least when buying from Amazon or Costco they both have fantastic return policies!

I'd like to kick off this discussion again, as it is a topic you can expect on Off Course tomorrow.

What is the logic surrounding your choice, and why? Have you been intentionally or unintentionally stuck in your ways for a while now? Have you considered anything new?

I'd like to kick off this discussion again, as it is a topic you can expect on Off Course tomorrow.

What is the logic surrounding your choice, and why? Have you been intentionally or unintentionally stuck in your ways for a while now? Have you considered anything new?
I use rangefinder and the GPS on my Grint app. The downfall obviously is the line of sight with the rangefinder, you don't have that issue with the GPS.
Do most of us amateurs really need much more than front middle back distances? Probably not, but sometimes having that exact pin distance can be a good thing.

I'm going through this debate internally right now. I really only need GPS and a watch would be perfect for 85% of the time and I'm pondering getting one. Over become so accustomed to using a rangefinder though I'm not sure which one I'll use more.

My GPS watch is great and I use it most of the time, but it’s not always the best tool. I bought a laser unit this year and use it for gauging the distance to the edge of the fairway on dogleg holes, and more accurate carry distances on forced carries. A few of the courses I play have changed some holes around and the GPS data has not been upgraded. The only way I can get distances on those holes is from the laser. I also use it on holes where the hole isn’t visible (but the flag is) to tell if it’s on the front or back of the green.

I’m still pretty happy with both. My depth perception is terrible so if I want to know where the best miss is I can’t rely on my eyesight. 9i and below I’m trying to get as close to the pin as possible. The last 9 hole round I played was purely GPS since all of the tips I read was don’t miss long.

I'm going through this debate internally right now. I really only need GPS and a watch would be perfect for 85% of the time and I'm pondering getting one. Over become so accustomed to using a rangefinder though I'm not sure which one I'll use more.
Listen to Off Course tomorrow. Pretty good debate

I use rangefinder and the GPS on my Grint app. The downfall obviously is the line of sight with the rangefinder, you don't have that issue with the GPS.
Do most of us amateurs really need much more than front middle back distances? Probably not, but sometimes having that exact pin distance can be a good thing.
I have always really enjoyed the debate on having your phone used during play for something like that.

Personally, I am pro "keep my phone away from me" even though it's usually in my pocket haha - just not on. Maybe that's why I used the SkyCaddie for so many years.

I’m still pretty happy with both. My depth perception is terrible so if I want to know where the best miss is I can’t rely on my eyesight. 9i and below I’m trying to get as close to the pin as possible. The last 9 hole round I played was purely GPS since all of the tips I read was don’t miss long.
You use both? That's cool. Which devices?

You use both? That's cool. Which devices?

Bushnell Tour v4 Slope and my phone with Arccos or the Grint. It’s not as slow as you would think which I thought was cool. Get green numbers before leaving the cart, grab a few clubs, laser the pin if there’s trouble, and shoot. I’ve been considering a full time GPS, but I haven’t committed to it yet.

Still a sky caddie guy. Though I want to add just a cheap laser for some things.

Bushnell Tour v4 Slope and my phone with Arccos or the Grint. It’s not as slow as you would think which I thought was cool. Get green numbers before leaving the cart, grab a few clubs, laser the pin if there’s trouble, and shoot. I’ve been considering a full time GPS, but I haven’t committed to it yet.
I really want to take another look at what is possible with GPS now, especially with the sizable units and their battery life.

Also considering giving my SkyCaddie SGXw a bump for Ohio only because it's cheaper, but we'll see. I miss having those 'click and shoot' moments, although that style of golf might be behind me a little bit now.

I use both (Garmin Fēnix 6 and Bushnell Tour V3) because there are certain conditions where each one is better than the other. Lasers are useless for blind shots - if you can't see it, you can't shoot it - and GPS (at least on my watch) can't give me yardages to random things I might want to use as targets (or avoid). I hate fiddling with my phone on the course so I don't use any of the apps - my watch gives me F/M/B, keeps score/stats and a few other things, that's plenty enough for me.

My home course also has touchscreen GPS in the carts, but it has what I call the "Bitchin' Betty" feature that shuts the cart down when you go into certain areas of the course, so I usually just turn it off.

Back