I use a range finder with slope for those uphill/downhill shots. Otherwise I rely on my shot scope v3.

I only have a Samsung GPS watch that works for me, but on a course I have never played before, I can see the use of a laser.
Spending $400+ for a good laser is a bit much for my game though.

I use laser. I don’t like wearing a watch. Have used gps on phone apps.

For my game, Laser beats GPS. We have GPS on our carts, which never seem to be that accurate. And, GPS can't give me exact distances to some of the things in front of me that would be helpful to know how far they are. Like, the back edge of a bunker, an overhanging limb, or the yahoos taking forever out in the fairway to see if they are in range or not. My Bushnell Tour V4 Slope (my third Rangefinder after two other Bushnells in the past) has also saved me on a number of occasions where using the cart GPS was a full club off. As my handicap has dropped, and my distances have become so much more consistent, I find the Bushnell V4 to be far more helpful than a GPS. Though, certainly, there are some instances when GPS can be helpful, like when playing an unfamiliar course or from a location where you can't see your target. I'm not poo-pooing GPS, but if I can only have one, my V4 rangefinder is it.

I now have both with my new golf buddy watch and I only use the laser now on the practice range to find distances to flags and would almost be willing to give it away as the watch has it all.

I have them both and use them both because I like things!

I have and use both. I like the laser because it serves a second purpose, obviously it gets a good distance but you can also see better then just the naked eye how deep it may or may not be on the green.

primarily use the phone gps but laser is always the more accurate measurement.

GPS but want a laser.

Laser. If I played a bunch of different courses, I could see the value in having both. But I don't so laser is best for my needs.

my home course is terrible about flags, red/white/blue. Too often the red flag is really middle, or the white front, etc. There are tiers on a number of greens, so lasering flag tells me which tier. But gps is nice when there are trees or other items obstructing the view.

I've never actually used a laser. I've thought about looking into it a couple of times but have never seen the potential value. I have a GPS watch which gives front, middle and back and that does for me. Now I have the Arccos Link I can attach my phone to my trolly which gives distances to hazards etc so that's sorted. Plus, I'm not good enough to be able to need distances 1-2m apart, if I need to go 147 I'm just hitting the club closest to that number I have.

I only ever use GPS on my phone. As a previous poster has written my accuracy can be out by more yards than a gps can 🤣. GPS gives me a good enough guide to ensure I at least select the correct club.

My mate however uses a laser and there is nothing funnier than him standing there lasering a target and then missing short &/or left/right. All the gear no idea springs to mind 😂

If a course has a clearly marked 150 yard pole or whatever I can get away with using neither from 120+ out. I like GPS a lot on unfamiliar courses just to see what is happening where I might miss. I am looking for hidden bunkers or creeks, stuff like that. I will usually get the zapper out from 80-120 yards. Those are the clubs I can actually hit strait enough and consistent enough to really care what the exact distance is.

I temd to use a laser these days, but I’ve used GPS and it really is the way to go. The amount of information you get blows a laser out of the water.

I’ve been a faithful laser guy since 1995. I’ve had a few different GPS units but the extra data makes me overthink and muddies up my pre-shot mental routine. GPS is only helpful for my scoring if I’ve never played the course before.

I’ve been a faithful laser guy since 1995. I’ve had a few different GPS units but the extra data makes me overthink and muddies up my pre-shot mental routine. GPS is only helpful for my scoring if I’ve never played the course before.
Like you I find the GPS "extra info" a bit distracting. But on unfamiliar courses I remember using yardage books to navigate and that was even more distracting so the GPS is an improved version of a yardage book in my opinion.

I've got an app on my phone that can function as a GPS. Maybe once a year or so I'll be playing a course I've never seen so I'll fire it up so I can check out any blind or confusing holes. But almost all of my play nowadays is either at my home course or at a handful of other courses I've played many times. The laser's all I need.

Have both and use both. However the GPS is used most of the time.

I really enjoy both, but usually use a laser.

Ironically, my scores are better with a GPS. It gets me to play at the middle more.

I use both but mainly rely on the laser.

I just got Shotscope this year, and definitely like it. I can see a laser being really useful at times, but can't justify the money given how much golf I play (not enough) and how lousy my game is. Oh that bunkers 180? I'll take a 190 club and hit it lousy right into said bunker :LOL:

I use both, but lately I have been shooting maybe 1 or 2 pins total per round.

A feature I like with the GPS is distance tracking. If you are in the rough, and you lose sight of the ball when it stops, I can usually find it faster by getting within 5 or 10 yards of my typical driving distance.

If it is something I can reliable laser, such as the raised lip of a bunker I need to carry or the flagstick itself I much prefer the accuracy of the laser. The drawback to lasers is you can't laser a distance to an object you can't see; you need GPS fo that.

However, GPS is inherently inaccurate by comparison, with even the best accuracy stated as being 95% of the time. GPS.GOV states smart phone accuracy at a 16 foot radius. Higher end devices using augmentation systems, dual frequency or other error correction hardware or software can improve accuracy significantly.

I rely more on the laser but do use GPS in a couple of instances, one being where there is a blind landing area where water comes into play and I need to keep short of it. The second instance is where there is trouble in front of the green and to play safe I want to know both the front and back distances of the green as both can be difficult to laser.

Back