GraniteRoost's Callaway Tour Fit Iron Fitting

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
I just got back from a Callaway Tour Fit club fitting experience hosted at a club near me. I booked a one hour “full-bag” session with 28-year veteran Callaway Master club fitter and greater Boston sales rep Erin Henderson. I arrived about 15 minutes early and observed as the guys before me finished up. There were about 8+ bags full of demo gear as well as a bunch of fitting heads and shafts, I would venture pretty much the entire current model line-up. Activity at the demo was brisk, with two Callaway staffers handling scheduled appointments, as well as a steady stream of walk-up traffic.

thumbnail_IMG_0069.jpg

After hitting a few warm-up shots and waiting for others to finish, Erin gave me a warm welcome, took down some details, and we were on the range. We decided to work on iron fitting as a priority. I had my Apex MB’s with me, but I established right away that I was more interested in the fitting process and what he would put me into as an open book i.e. a more forgiving cavity. He watched me hit a few with the Apex MB, and we decided to work with Apex Pro and X Forged. I expressed a general overall interest in graphite, and we had a discussion that he probably does not see me in the 105TX MMT’s that are in my MB’s, as they tend to require hitting them hard all the time and my speed is not high enough to warrant them. We plugged in MMT 95 S, and I hit about 10 balls each with Apex Pro first, and X Forged second. I had very good results with both. We were hitting off grass into a gentle breeze, and I was having great luck with the ball holding its line into the wind with both. Results interpreted by ball flight and a very experienced fitter’s eye… no tracking data. After that I hit a few with Apex just for grins.

Then we discussed if I was a hard lean on graphite or open to steel. The MMT’s in 95S were a little light, and he mentioned that they might be contributing to a couple of the floatier trajectories we were seeing playing into the breeze. His comment was that being a good ball striker and having the strength to play either capably, that steel might be a little better at keeping the flight down, and he had some ideas that might match well. After checking again if I tended to prefer a 90-95 lighter shaft or a 105-120 heavier shaft, we both agreed that I liked 110 _/- historically, and that it would be a good weight for my tempo.

He selected ProjectX IO 6.0 and we plugged it into the X-Forged as the head of choice. I could have gone either way on heads, but I was getting in a real groove with the X-Forged and he liked them as well. After about the 5th or 6th shot with X-Forged and ProjectX IO 6.0 he cut in and said that if I walked in as a blank slate, he’d stop right there. The shaft was working great, and I hit pretty much all of them dead on-line with a 2-3 yard curve. He then broke out the lie-board and sole impact tape, and I hit a few to see where I was on lie. Slightly to my surprise (but not really given my swing and divots), I was coming through at about 2-2.5* upright due to my more upright plane and bad habits about standing up at impact. He said that the build should be more like 1.5* upright so that we were not over-correcting for lie and making the clubs more prone to over-draw.

After that talked through grips (standard size for my medium hands, cord please) and set makeup. I would go with 4-P in this set.

Overall, it was a great experience. I can highly recommend a Callaway Tour Fit day if available in your area. Toward the end there were a lot of walk-ups, so we ended after my iron fitting and did not get into other areas of the bag, but I’m fine with it. I even walked away with a couple of two-ball trial packs of the latest Chrome Soft X! This session confirmed a lot of things I thought I knew, and opened my eyes in others, in particular possible lies angle adjustments. I am also very, very comfy with the idea of ProjectX IO shafts… I’ve hit them a few times and they have been great every time. I could also be pretty happy with a set of X Forged, they are great irons. Fun stuff!

Final Specs:
Callaway X-Forged 4-P, 1.5* upright
Project X IO 6.0 Standard length
Lamkin Crossline Cord

thumbnail_IMG_0071.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0072.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0073.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0074.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0075.jpg

I bet that was a blast!

Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s really interesting that he fit you by eye.

This sounded like a great experience! If I were to have purchased irons this year, the XForged would have been in serious contention. Loved this set up when I hit them.

I bet that was a blast!

Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s really interesting that he fit you by eye.

It was a lot of fun. I was super impressed with how experienced and easy to talk with the fitter was. Erin is a real pro. Another women next to me wandered in looking for a lofted fairway and was hitting some beautiful shots 10 minutes later.

That's awesome, glad it was a great experience and you came out with irons that work really well. Did they arrange trade in for you current irons? And callaway often does the 50% trade in bonus

Did you hit the other clubs like wedges and driver?

That's awesome, glad it was a great experience and you came out with irons that work really well. Did they arrange trade in for you current irons? And callaway often does the 50% trade in bonus

Did you hit the other clubs like wedges and driver?

I didn’t order yet - thus was mostly about going through the fitting experience because I have some good iron options already. It does make me ponder though... I hit exact same setup 6-7 months ago and they were great then too.

I could trade in my Apex MB w/ MMT, but I’m not sure I’m ready to do that. I like them. And the 105TX aren’t the worst, at least IMO. Erin also has blades in his bag and we agreed that we both should play a cavity if if score was the only factor, but that he likes blades and sometimes it’s what you like that matters too.

I do want to put ProjectX IO into something. I feel like somehow that needs to get figured out.

I would have enjoyed going through the Epic Speed line and even though I booked an hour slot and only used 35 minutes, a bunch of walk ups started hanging around and I let the Callaway guys move on to them.

... I hit exact same setup 6-7 months ago and they were great then too.

I do want to put ProjectX IO into something. I feel like somehow that needs to get figured out.

That's always big to me, and jumps right in my face when someone says it. Because bodies and swings change, even for pretty consistent players. So that says to me that there's something at the core there which fits well, and will, throughout those little changes. I don't know. I feel like I have a lot of questions about things over time, and when I see that, it feels like a big one answered. :confused2:

Also, IO's!!:p I fell in love with them demo'ing X Forged, ordered them in my MB's, and by the time they arrived I had tried them in the X Forged and other heads on more occasions, and just always hit them well. I really think they're underrated. And it's interesting to me that he wanted to put you in them what sounds like based on weight and the desire to lower the flight little. I prefer to, because prairie winds will scar you for life lol, and the majority of the other guys I know who've ended up in them struggle to keep the ball down a bit. Seems to benefit them in that way.

Sounds like a great experience with a really good fitter, which is just all kinds of awesome. Thanks for sharing!!

Great write up thanks for sharing. Sounds like a fun time

That's always big to me, and jumps right in my face when someone says it. Because bodies and swings change, even for pretty consistent players. So that says to me that there's something at the core there which fits well, and will, throughout those little changes. I don't know. I feel like I have a lot of questions about things over time, and when I see that, it feels like a big one answered. :confused2:

Also, IO's!!:p I fell in love with them demo'ing X Forged, ordered them in my MB's, and by the time they arrived I had tried them in the X Forged and other heads on more occasions, and just always hit them well. I really think they're underrated. And it's interesting to me that he wanted to put you in them what sounds like based on weight and the desire to lower the flight little. I prefer to, because prairie winds will scar you for life lol, and the majority of the other guys I know who've ended up in them struggle to keep the ball down a bit. Seems to benefit them in that way.

Sounds like a great experience with a really good fitter, which is just all kinds of awesome. Thanks for sharing!!

The X Forged w/ IO shafts picked up right where I left off with them in December. I told the fitter that I was super comfortable with every part of the spec we came up with, they seem like a combo that would play well on course. We talked about personal preference of combo set vs picking the best profile and playing that all the way through. He mentioned his personal slant is to pick one set that you like and use it to best effect, as its simple and maybe gives you less transitions to worry about. At the same time, Callaway obviously offers combos sets so there is a place for them... it depends what you want.

It would have been cool if TCB's had been on hand... I kind of assumed they wouldn't be and should have actually asked / checked. I didn't. The biggest takeaway from me is the ProjectX IO is a shaft I need to get in a gamer set.

I forgot to mention that I'm a shallow swinger and as such tend to float the ball a bit, and we have mountain wind here where I play. So I also have a preference from keeping it down. A reason I'm not hot to move off the MB's is that with the 105TX MMT's that shaft is curing some of the perceived looseness/lightweight I feel with the 95S MMT. It is the right weight for starters. It is a stiffer than usual experiment, yes, but that was the point and its been going OK on course. The MB's naturally keep the ball down with the 105TX. They are a pretty sweet package that does a lot of good things.

All that to say the weight and the flight of the IO are a really good match. They keep the flight down, have a great feel, and deserve time in the bag.

I forgot to mention that I'm a shallow swinger and as such tend to float the ball a bit, and we have mountain wind here where I play. So I also have a preference from keeping it down. A reason I'm not hot to move off the MB's is that with the 105TX MMT's that shaft is curing some of the perceived looseness/lightweight I feel with the 95S MMT. It is the right weight for starters. It is a stiffer than usual experiment, yes, but that was the point and its been going OK on course. The MB's naturally keep the ball down with the 105TX. They are a pretty sweet package that does a lot of good things.

All that to say the weight and the flight of the IO are a really good match. They keep the flight down, have a great feel, and deserve time in the bag.
It's funny, as I was reading it, I was thinking 'but the weight and flight of the IO's might give you that in an easier head'. I totally get the love for those MB's as you know, and how they keep the ball down, but a higher launching shaft and lower flight but way more demanding head sounds like a lot of work. Lol I want what sounds like the same thing as you, but I will take it in the laziest way I can get it! :p At least as part of the rotation - break up the 'work' week.

It's totally bugging me now that you're not 100% sure they didn't have the TCB's there too. I would have loved for you to hit those and hear your thoughts. Especially with that shaft since it's nearly exactly what I game. ... This thread pretty much feeds all my flaws and addictions at this point, so thanks. :ROFLMAO:

It's funny, as I was reading it, I was thinking 'but the weight and flight of the IO's might give you that in an easier head'. I totally get the love for those MB's as you know, and how they keep the ball down, but a higher launching shaft and lower flight but way more demanding head sounds like a lot of work. Lol I want what sounds like the same thing as you, but I will take it in the laziest way I can get it! :p At least as part of the rotation - break up the 'work' week.

It's totally bugging me now that you're not 100% sure they didn't have the TCB's there too. I would have loved for you to hit those and hear your thoughts. Especially with that shaft since it's nearly exactly what I game. ... This thread pretty much feeds all my flaws and addictions at this point, so thanks. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it's bugging me too. I should have been more assertive/inquisitve.

I'm pondering IO's in the Srixy. Or maybe get fully committed with IO + TCB, but I'm not sure I "need" them. I've got more ponders than rounds on course due to circumstances lately.

Back