Grant Mini-documentary

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
After really liking how the History channel produced Washington, I am very interested to see their take on Grant tonight.

Who else is watching?

I’m in... The one on Washington was great.

I will be in

I have the DVR set and will watch the start. the previews look great

I really hope they do one on Jefferson and maybe Lee , such interesting material on both.

I really hope they do one on Jefferson and maybe Lee , such interesting material on both.
The Robert E. Lee one NEEDS to be told, people with no knowledge of history have told his story wrong based simply on sides. But the current climate won’t let it be made imo.

Jefferson I’m in on, as long as they lay it ALL out there. That may ruffle some feathers too though.

The Robert E. Lee one NEEDS to be told, people with no knowledge of history have told his story wrong based simply on sides. But the current climate won’t let it be made imo.

Jefferson I’m in on, as long as they lay it ALL out there. That may ruffle some feathers too though.
That’s why I said maybe Lee, I’m not sure in our current climate someone would do it... But Lee’s story is so nuanced it would make a great multi part documentary.

I would be in for one on Andrew Jackson too.

Wish list:
Jefferson
Lee
Jackson
Teddy Roosevelt

It will be interesting to see if they show the symbiotic relationship he had with Mark Twain. back then ex Presidents could easily go broke and his memoirs published by Twain saved his bacon and his family's (while saving Twain at the same time)

I hope the cover the siege of Vicksburg in depth....

That’s why I said maybe Lee, I’m not sure in our current climate someone would do it... But Lee’s story is so nuanced it would make a great multi part documentary.
It would surprise a LOT of people, and maybe get people to stop just tearing down monuments and such without thinking of the bigger story. It could be great.

Im hoping Grant is, and knowing them it will be. I just hope it also covers HIS shortcomings too.

I would be in for one on Andrew Jackson too.

Wish list:
Jefferson
Lee
Jackson
Teddy Roosevelt
I’m out on Jackson. He was an Indian Killer, period.

Give me all the Teddy though.

I’m out on Jackson. He was an Indian Killer, period.

Give me all the Teddy though.
The Battle of New Orleans
The failed assassination attempt
“I killed the Bank”

It would be interesting...

The Battle of New Orleans
The failed assassination attempt
“I killed the Bank”

It would be interesting...
Slaughtering of Native Americans, persecution of Native American, removal and further slaughter of native Americans.

As interesting as the other stories are, he was a piece of ****.

Slaughtering of Native Americans, persecution of Native American, removal and further slaughter of native Americans.

As interesting as the other stories are, he was a piece of ****.
I don’t disagree that he was a POS...

I don’t disagree that he was a POS...
Oh I’d watch it too, but I’d be afraid they’d try to sugar coat him like a lot of history books do.

He’s the only historical figure I tee off on with no remorse, but I’m also teaching Oklahoma History when discussing him haha

Absolutely wanna see a docuseries on Custer, Jefferson, or Lee. See a series of how someone who didn’t become a hero and how we look at the history versus what really happened.

Robert E. Lee would be very interesting. I think that how he is viewed is greatly influenced by how he was presented in the biography by Douglas Southall Freeman. One could view Freeman’s biography as a hagiography. In addition, the lost cause mythology also plays a role in how he is viewed.

Absolutely wanna see a docuseries on Custer, Jefferson, or Lee. See a series of how someone who didn’t become a hero and how we look at the history versus what really happened.
Lee is perfect for that.

Custer...I have little interest in.

Custer & The 7th Calvary at Little Big Horn has been done many times, but Civil War era Custer that could be interesting.

I wonder how much time they spend on Grant’s Presidency vs the Civil War.

Robert E. Lee would be very interesting. I think that how he is viewed is greatly influenced by how he was presented in the biography by Douglas Southall Freeman. One could view Freeman’s biography as a hagiography. In addition, the lost cause mythology also plays a role in how he is viewed.
Harpers Ferry to taking command of the Army of Northern Virginia is a whole episode.

The real Lee and the mythical Lee gets blurred too often, however, Lee is an American story that needs to be told.

After reading “American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant” which did bring out his short comings, I’ll be glued to this documentary
9C8C83C1-EF9F-484F-89B4-4DDA8A61EF86.jpeg

I am not a history buff by any means, but I find these so fascinating.

@Jman your a HS History teacher correct? Boy, this is perfect for you to actually say how factual these are. Bet you would have tons of great instructional material for your classes if Covid didn’t close us down

After reading “American Ulysses: A Life of Ulysses S. Grant” which did bring out his short comings, I’ll be glued to this documentary
View attachment 8945658
Im hoping this delves into that. Because that one actually did, and did so pretty well imo.

Back