Grant Mini-documentary

I wonder what makes for a worse president, killing the natives of a land you're taking or sending your citizens to a foreign land and then turning a blind eye when they call for help and letting them be slaughtered.

I hope the cover the siege of Vicksburg in depth....

I enjoyed reading Nothing But Victory: The Army of the Tennessee 1861-1865. This book covers the transformation of Grant from civilian, a dry goods clerk in Galena Illinois, to commander of the Union Army of the Tennessee.

Can't wait to see this, DVR set. PBS (Ken Burns) did a great 6 part series on the Roosevelts starting with Teddy.

Have this one set on DVR. (y)

Nice that it opened with a scene from Shiloh and Grant’s famous statement to Sherman after a disastrous first day of battle: “Lick em tomorrow though”.

I thought Grant didn’t disappoint. Really liked the first night except for one thing. Thankfully I didn’t watch it live. I watched another show for an hour to make sure I could fast forward commercials. Oh boy were there WAY too many commercials. I checked with my son and at one point it was 5 mins of show followed by 5 mins of commercials over an over.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the Civil War section tomorrow.

I did have an issue whereas you see Grant enter the Western Theater battles and you see what is considered the Federate Flag on the building. When in fact that was not the flag of the Confederate Army at all. The flag that we always associate as the confederate flag was actually the Virginia Army Confederate battle flag. Most of the flags flown were all different as battle flags.

But the first Confederate Flag that might have been flown in the Western Theater was the “Stars and Bars” flag representing the southern states.

3389F077-3560-4E3A-A794-7BEC0C386248.jpeg

I did have an issue whereas you see Grant enter the Western Theater battles and you see what is considered the Federate Flag on the building. When in fact that was not the flag of the Confederate Army at all. The flag that we always associate as the confederate flag was actually the Virginia Army Confederate battle flag. Most of the flags flown were all different as battle flags.

But the first Confederate Flag that might have been flown in the Western Theater was the “Stars and Bars” flag representing the southern states.

View attachment 8945733
Interesting. What does the L stand for in the circle or stars? Lower I’m guessing?

I really enjoyed Washington a lot too. Looking forward to watching this one too. Surprised no one has mentioned a series on Benjamin Franklin yet but all the mentions so far would be solid. I think I’m going to watch that show HBO (I think?) did on John Adams when I need something to watch.

Interesting. What does the L stand for in the circle or stars? Lower I’m guessing?
Sorry, that was a bad picture when I took with my phone. No L in the picture.

Here, is a better one from around that timeline of 1862.
BCCDD0C0-5658-4F87-8CD9-68D267C131B0.jpeg

I enjoyed the first episode. I'm very interested in the Civil War portion of it.

Vicksburg ... 🍿

Vicksburg ... 🍿
I thought u would like tonight. They spent a great deal on the Vicksburg Seige as Grant’s masterpiece.

I thought u would like tonight. They spent a great deal on the Vicksburg Seige as Grant’s masterpiece.
Vicksburg broke the South’s back.
Along with Lee losing at Gettysburg the day before.

After reading American Ulysses, to me and just to me, there is an application to golf.:
Grant always assess the current situation, doesn't panic and made changes to his battle plan as the theater changed.
When I play golf, I like to keep these thoughts in my mind as I play.

I have this DVR'd and watched the first episode last night. Knowing a little about Grant, I didn't want to dig to deep to see how this one plays out. The early days at Fort Humboldt were interesting and I wish they would have delved deeper into that time.

I guess tonight we will see the end of the Civil War, but I thought they would have given a bit more time to his rise of becoming President and his two terms. There is some interesting items to cover there.

Back