Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid Shaft Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We talk about driver shafts here at THP all the time, and Graphite Design has been a big part of that conversation with their wide range of options under the Tour AD umbrella (check out a full rundown on THPTV here. However, another area which they offer top of the line graphite options is in hybrids and utilities.

THP was able to get a Graphite Design Tour AD IZ hybrid shaft in for a closer look and a full round of testing to see just what is being brought to the table.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Staff
Hope everyone enjoy this one! For an update, I’ve currently got the IZ moved over into my X Forged UT, so I’ll have more feedback for the thread and conversation soon I hope! Will be interesting to work it out in another head.

This is one of the few shafts I have not tried to date and I am not sure why as I love hybrids. Good info and data in the review and I think I will have to try this one out soon.

• Staff
This is one of the few shafts I have not tried to date and I am not sure why as I love hybrids. Good info and data in the review and I think I will have to try this one out soon.
Have you hit the AD DI hybo shaft JB? I’ll be honest, I expected to see an almost identical flight out of this one for whatever reason, but it was nice to really be able to see more of the “mid” in this one. In the right head setup….whew.

Have you hit the AD DI hybo shaft JB? I’ll be honest, I expected to see an almost identical flight out of this one for whatever reason, but it was nice to really be able to see more of the “mid” in this one. In the right head setup….whew.

I have and enjoyed that one a lot. Normally I am looking for something in the hybrids that will have some kick for initial launch.

• Staff
I have and enjoyed that one a lot. Normally I am looking for something in the hybrids that will have some kick for initial launch.
We are in the same boat there, it’s why I think this IZ stood out in a utility for me, it’s one I like that lower more mid flight all the way through with. Then add in the DI and GD has got one heck of a tandem of hybrid shafts for fitting. It’s been cool to see up close and personal.

Reactions: JB
A hybrid shaft in a utility is exactly what I have been wanting to try for some time and this sounds like a perfect offering. I like the look of the IZ more so than the DI personally and I really like what GD is doing by offering this option but man that price for a hybrid shaft is a tough one to swallow.

Great write-up @Jman ! Veyr timely and helpful as I've been utility shaft shopping of late. Definitely appreciate the info and evaluation, looks like a great shaft.

gd says this is their lowest spinning model. how did you find its spin to compare to other shafts you've tried in this head?

i know it's a different profile, but i spent a little time with the ad-iz 5s in a driver, and found it to be super soft and difficult to control, even for my smooth tempo and passive (if that's the opposite of aggressive?) load.

For those considering a Graphite Design Tour AD hybrid shaft for their utility iron, I would also suggest considering the GD Tour AD-UT, specifically designed for utilities. Comes in both the orange/white graphics, or black/white. They are available in an 85 or 95 series, in stiff and X. I put an 85 (88g) stiff @+1/2" in my Titleist U500 4i and don't think I have hit it offline yet. Loved that club before, but even more so now with the new GD shaft. It fits most utility heads perfectly with a .355 tip and retails around $100.

Back