Graphite for wedges

jpetermann

Reaction score
Handicap
Always played steel in my wedges, but play graphite in my irons. Looking to switch the wedges to graphite now.

I just got a couple new Vokeys and the weight difference is noticeable. S200 shafts in those.

So, I play Recoil dart 90 in f3 flex.

Do I look at the same shaft or go to the 105 in the wedges. The 105 would be in f4 flex.

I can also get the DART V TSPX 90 F3 R Flex

So, if you have done this what do ya think?

I have been playing the same weight, and flex, graphite shaft in irons and wedges for years. As a general rule, you would want to go a little more flexible rather than a little more stiff in wedges in comparison irons. Of course, results may vary depending on the individual.

I generally like to step up a weight class when going to the wedges.
But in your choice going to a 105, you are also stepping up to an F4. If anything, you want your wedges on the softer side. Wedges are rarely swung at full swing. Most times, it's a 1/2 or 3/4. Staying on the softer side helps with feel.
Might want to check out some other options. You can always stay at the same weight, 90 and F3.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I went with comparable to my iron shafts. I full swing my wedges. I want that familiarity. My partial wedges feel the same as my partial irons. Consistent feel across my irons and wedges has been a big deal for me.

I have done it. It works ok.

I have done it. It works ok.
This is where I'm at.

I didn't love the weight change and added my iron graphite to my wedges to solve that. It's been... okay. Definitely not great. And if I'm being honest, a step back.

Last edited:
This previous where I'm at.

I didn't love the weight change and added my iron graphite to my wedges to solve that. It's been... okay. Definitely not great. And if I'm being honest, a step back.
There is just a muddy feeling in wedges. Not the crispness I want.

Recoil 95s in f3 in my irons, 4-AW, and went Recoil 95 f4 in my SW. SW I do have a touch of lead tape on the SW for more feel as well. Working well so far.

I have Dart V 105 F4 in my irons and Recoil 110 F4 in my wedges. Set before that I had 95 F5 Recoil irons with the 110 Recoil F4 wedges. In general I like either of those types of combos - same weight and flex in both or heavier and less stiff in the wedges.

If you are looking for 105 in the UST lines, I'd recommend considering the Dart V 105 Scoring Wedge shaft. It was a little too flexible for me coming off the Dart V F4 irons, but I think it would pair with your 90 F3 irons better than a 105 F4 iron shaft.

Interestingly I tried a Steelfiber CW 90 in my Gap wedge (50*) (and I was playing Steelfibers in my irons) and the fitter and I could not understand why we lost about 15 yards... Put a Modus 120 XS instead and that worked perfectly from a gapping perspective. Just my experience and will stick to steel from now on ;) or until my wrists and elbows give way....

A

I bought my wedge set up that I played for the last two years in the same shaft that I had in my irons at the time of purchase, which were Mitsubishi MMT 95 stiff. I loved the shafts in my irons, but didn’t work out in my wedges.

After a home course grass fitting in September with Titleist I’m switching back to steel. I take full swings with each one of my wedges, and what I found was that I was getting a lot of ballooning and less of a penetrating shot with the lighter graphite.

The result was I lost between 10 to 15 yards with my wedges that were previously steel. So anyway, after a Titleist fitting in September, I am going back to an S200 shaft and I tried a bunch of different steel and graphite at the fitting.

Overall the S200 for me was the best for flight, distance, spin. I have played graphite in my irons, for at least 10 years and was very reluctant going back to steel but I was just very unhappy with my overall wedge play and performance the past 2 years. Sometimes you just need to shake it up.

I tried a few wedges with stock graphite on Carl's Trackman range. I saw no plusses, only minuses, loss of feel, too high a ball flight almost across the board with all major models I tried, and Carls has them all. . Which is weird because I feel I gained not just comfort for my arthritics, but distance and clubhead awareness when I went to graphite in the irons.
On the other hand,I know a couple of slow swingers (I am hardly fast any more, but they are sower than me) who really upped their wedge game with a proper fitting into a graphite wedge shaft. Better flight, enhanced spin, better distance control. Perhaps I could have seen better results with a proper fitting, but I am very comfortable with where my wedge game is at the moment as it is without throwing money at something that isn't broken..

I generally like to step up a weight class when going to the wedges.
But in your choice going to a 105, you are also stepping up to an F4. If anything, you want your wedges on the softer side. Wedges are rarely swung at full swing. Most times, it's a 1/2 or 3/4. Staying on the softer side helps with feel.
Might want to check out some other options. You can always stay at the same weight, 90 and F3.

If you want the heavier shaft and it moved into a stiffer flex, what about doing that but soft stepping it for a softer feel?

@xThor might be able to help

If you want the heavier shaft and it moved into a stiffer flex, what about doing that but soft stepping it for a softer feel?
Absolutely, that will work. The 8 iron trimming code is a popular trick.

There is just a muddy feeling in wedges. Not the crispness I want.
I put a TGI 60 in my 52/10S gap wedge and it has the best feel of my wedges. All my wedges have light 40 to 50g graphite shafts. I have a lot of wedges. :)

Absolutely, that will work. The 8 iron trimming code is a popular trick.

Exactly what I was thinking. I just soft stepped dart 90 f3 shafts and I put 8i shafts in the pw/aw and its worked well so far.

I have KBS graphite shafts in some/most of my wedges and I am really happy. I was debating switching out the heavier 120g steel shaft in my Edel to match the rest but it's staying put as of now.

My KBS graphite shafts are PGI 70g so it's considerably heavier.

1st choice IMO -Prototype 110 F4 dedicated wedge shaft
I have Dart V 105 F4 & Recoil 110 F5 ssx1 irons shafts. Also play Recoil Proto W in stiff 124g in 52 56 59

Prototype 110 wedge just feels perfect...when I get new wedges - I'll go 110 proto wedge in them

Back