Graphite in wedges?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Thanks to some great commentary by Sir Nick Faldo yesterday haha we know he doesn’t approve of graphite shafts in wedges

Have you ever tried graphite shafts in your wedges? If so what shaft and did you notice any issues or benefits?

I missed the broadcast yesterday. Did the knight give any reasoning?

Thanks to some great commentary by Sir Nick Faldo yesterday haha we know he doesn’t approve of graphite shafts in wedges

Have you ever tried graphite shafts in your wedges? If so what shaft and did you notice any issues or benefits?
I have not. But, I haven't in irons either. Some day, when some heavier options are more widely available, I would most definitely give them a shot. Just nowhere to demo them in these parts. I don't think he has a very good grasp on how graphite has evolved over the years. Especially the graphite shafts Bryson is using. I would guess that there isn't a steel shaft that is that stiff. If there is, there can't be many of them.

I haven’t tried graphite in irons or wedges, but I’d be open to it if my fitter were to recommend it!

• Admin
When Bryson hit a few wedges off line or distance he made mention of them being graphite shafts and went on and on about true temper steel shafts being more consistent. I don’t remember it word for word but that was the gist of it

My Recoils in my wedge play is the best part of graphite

Nick Faldo's commentary on this was an absolute disaster in understanding how much composite materials and constructions have changed since he was relevant on the golf course.

• Admin
My Recoils in my wedge play is the best part of graphite
I have Recoils in my wedges this year and I don’t think they play any different than steel. I was a little hesitant at first to go that route but I quite enjoy them actually.

I put steel fiber 110’s in my wedges this year and they have been great. Really consistent and easy to hit. That was hard to listen to yesterday, old man not wanting to evolve.

yep i did it. actually loved it. super smooth feeling. i’d do it again in a heartbeat and may have to if i keep having wrist and elbow discomfort.

Nick Faldo's commentary on this was an absolute disaster in understanding how much composite materials and constructions have changed since he was relevant on the golf course.

I figured this was the case. Old stigma that is no longer valid. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

I've never tried it... but I'm open to suggestions

I have Recoils in my wedges this year and I don’t think they play any different than steel.

When I hit my SM5's w/ S300 TT shafts....compared to my RTX-4s with Recoils there is no comparison for me. Way more smooth yet you still completely keep the feel.

Thats my take on them......I dont think they are close to me

i don't think switching to graphite would benefit my game, per se...the feel would be more to my liking, i think...but i don't think it'd change my wedge play results

I'm on my second set of wedges with Recoil 95s. I noticed an increase in distance with the first set, since I changed those out from steel, but that was just the effect of going to a shaft that fits me better. Great consistency and feel, what more could you want from your wedges!

I have new MD5’s with Aerotech Steelfiber 115 stiff. I love them!!!

I have two identical sets of Jaws wedges, one with graphite and one with steel. Not really much difference other than the steel wedges feel just a bit heavier. As far as "feel" wise I can put the same touch on the ball with no issues.

seems like it was weight related...(not Bryson's weight!). Graphite being too light maybe? I did hear this and my ears kinda perked up just to hear what he said, but was also in the kitchen and multitasking. He definitely mentioned the consistency of the way the shafts played and mentioned Bryson kept hitting wedges too long (or had a few times). They were basically saying if he got wedges under control he'd be crazy deadly with his length and his putter working well...

Agreed. To me it showed old school golf thinking running smack dab into a more tech-savvy approach to the game.

Agreed. To me it showed old school golf thinking running smack dab into a more tech-savvy approach to the game.
Faldo often comes off as one of those "well here's how I'd do it" type of guys. Being in the KC area...listening to Len Dawson broadcast on Chiefs radio, he was the same way (seemed to get worse as he aged, and don't get me wrong, I love Lenny). Dawson would often come off as condescending though...that whole "ahhhh….what a dumb play" type of tone and the "back in my day" thing. Again, love Lenny...and this was probably just him getting old and crotchety, but Faldo isn't like 80 years old...so he could maybe dial back the grumpy old man vibe :p

All of my wedges except for my Ping 2.0 have Aerotech Steelfiber i95 R flex in them. To me they are more accurate in the close chip shots around the green and I don't loose anything from any distance plus they feel better.

I've had graphite in my last two sets, irons and wedges. Honestly, I can't tell much difference from steel. Graphite shafts these days aren't the twisty rubber bands they used to be.

seems like it was weight related...(not Bryson's weight!). Graphite being too light maybe? I did hear this and my ears kinda perked up just to hear what he said, but was also in the kitchen and multitasking. He definitely mentioned the consistency of the way the shafts played and mentioned Bryson kept hitting wedges too long (or had a few times). They were basically saying if he got wedges under control he'd be crazy deadly with his length and his putter working well...

Bryson only current weakness if you could call it that would be wedge distance control. It has been a theme for a few years now as he has tried many different setups to try and control wedges spin and distance. Hard to argue with his results though. Faldo was a great player but I do not think he is very knowledgeable in the gear area of the game.

Unlike steel, composite can be made to nearly any weight.
With steel, as you go lighter, other areas must change.

I like the fact that CBS was discussing graphite shafts in wedges. That's a subject that should interest many golfers. Faldo was merely giving his opinion. I think that it would have been a greater service to the viewers if Faldo were more educated as to graphite shafts and as to the shafts Bryson plays in his wedges.

Back