Graphite in wedges?

Unlike steel, composite can be made to nearly any weight.
With steel, as you go lighter, other areas must change.

As I under stand it. With composite you can adjust flex independent of weight. Steel not as much.

I like the fact that CBS was discussing graphite shafts in wedges. That's a subject that should interest many golfers. Faldo was merely giving his opinion. I think that it would have been a greater service to the viewers if Faldo were more educated as to graphite shafts and as to the shafts Bryson plays in his wedges.
They could stand to do what NBC did for Nascar with their "cutaway car" and retired crew chief Larry McReynolds. So this week they were obviously talking about graphite as Bryson was at the top of the leaderboard; next week they should do a tech feature (maybe include @Jman or a manufacturer's rep to provide the technical data). Or even more timely, whatever is hot during the third round could be a short feature during the final round coverage...

As I under stand it. With composite you can adjust flex independent of weight. Steel not as much.

In a general sense, that is correct.

I like the fact that CBS was discussing graphite shafts in wedges. That's a subject that should interest many golfers. Faldo was merely giving his opinion. I think that it would have been a greater service to the viewers if Faldo were more educated as to graphite shafts and as to the shafts Bryson plays in his wedges.
The problem is that it wasn’t presented as opinion, it was presented as a 4 hour lecture to viewers on why graphite is inferior to dynamic gold.

And things like that are bad for the consumer and the companies pushing to make progress.

Back to the original question, I am currently awaiting new irons and wedges all with Tensei graphite shafts, which will be a first for me.

During the fitting it was very evident that I needed to gain height on all clubs, and the ability graphite afforded in changing the kick point of the shaft was the determining factor. I'll admit that I was skeptical at first, but honestly after the first ball I hit I turned to the fitter and said "if I didn't know I was hitting graphite, I wouldn't know I just hit graphite"

I definitely agree that the ability to modify the layering/thickness etc. of the composite should provide the builder with a virtually blank canvas in terms of performance and what they want to achieve. Graphite has been around long enough now and there are enough quality manufacturers that the technology and the knowledge of same can only benefit the golfer.

Well it depends on wedges. I have it in my Apex SW. I bought it off CPO. I actually really like it. That said it’s a fairway wedge for me. I will so some partial swings but it’s a full swing club more often than not.

I play graphite irons but steel wedges. I personally don’t like graphite in my wedges. I have no issues with full shots, but as I start to play shorter swing shots, I definitely lose a sense of feel.

I only have one wedge currently with a PX Catalyst graphite shaft since I upgraded this year. When it’s time to upgrade the other two, they will also have graphite in them. The swing is smooth and my touch and feel for the shot is as good as my steel shafts. The lighter feeling actually feels better to me as well

Or if Nantz would offer up a counterpoint. I do like that Bryson has pushed the conversation though...you get that talk on the golf channel studio shows...but how often do you hear announcers on the networks talking about shafts? Would be interesting for broadcasts to do more "what's in the bag" with some guys....and discuss the equipment, etc.

I have graphite shafts in everything except my putter. UST "made for" shafts in regular flex right now. I don't see any benefit (for me) to only have steel in my wedges when all of my clubs have graphite shafts.

Graphite shafts in my wedges has made a huge difference in my wedge play.

I play graphite irons but steel wedges. I personally don’t like graphite in my wedges. I have no issues with full shots, but as I start to play shorter swing shots, I definitely lose a sense of feel.
I never played graphite in anything but my woods prior to my current Cobra irons...I love the graphite in them. I had never really thought about graphite in wedges but certainly would not be opposed. I am currently playing some cheapo wedges (but they do the job)...when I do upgrade, the shafts will certainly be something to consider. That said, I have no reason to assume I'd benefit from them...but never hurts to check all the boxes when looking at options.

I haven't tried graphite in my wedges as yet, but that being said as I watched I thought more about Bryson not being able to dial in his distances yet, and more exactly with his newfound power and swing speeds. His inconsistencies in distances swing speeds and experience with the wedges were what I attributed the errors to, NOT to graphite or composite shafts.

During #TheGrandaddy in December 2018 I was given, can't say my wedges were really "fit", graphite shafts (Recoil 460) to come close to matching what I was fit for in the irons (Recoil 760). I never had great success with them with graphite so I more recently replaced the 52° and 56° MD4's and 60° PM 2.0 with the 54° and 58° JAWS wedges with 115g KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 steel shafts. My short game around the green is way more consistent and full shots are even better. I hit the 54° JAWS as long or longer than the 52° MD4 graphite shafted wedge.

I've played a lot of sets of irons over the years with graphite shafts but had never had anything but steel in the wedges before #TheGrandaddy.

I have a Recoil in my 52* and am very happy with it. Still have steel in my 56* and 60*, and will in all likelihood move to graphite in those when it’s time for new wedges.

Have been playing them for a little over 5.5 years. Switched to all graphite (except putter) down to LW then and haven't looked back. My wedge game almost instantly improved after the switch. From full shots to chips around the green. Consistency seemed to markedly improve on all shots. I had previously just left stock DG shafts (probably in the 130 gram neighborhood) so that could have contributed somewhat also as I was playing 95 - 100 gram steel shafts in irons so a large weight difference. Paid more attention to the weight after going graphite, and being on THP, so the grpahite shaft weights in my wedges since then have been the same as irons or 10 grams more.

I switched from DG to Recoil 95s in my wedges with the Morgan Cup, and I really like them. I think that (for me) the Recoils respond much better on partial shots than steel did. I am playing the same heads, but with steel I found it good for full shots but a little stout on partial shots. The Recoils seem to feel just right everywhere from green side bumps to 3/4 and full shots.

Nick Faldo's commentary on this was an absolute disaster in understanding how much composite materials and constructions have changed since he was relevant on the golf course.
IIRC he was also not cognizant of "new ball flight" theory as he tried hitting around a tree.

I've had graphite in my wedges before and loved them. UST Recoil Wedge Protos were every bit as good as any steel option. I have that shaft in my 58 PM Grind and would have it in my 48 and 54 MD5 Jaws if I wasn't matching them to my irons.

Been playing Steelfiber i125s in my wedges for a few years now. Very smooth with no control issues at all.

I haven't had graphite in my wedges, but I did have a graphite iron set about 5 years ago. I switched to steel shafts and my play got drastically better. So, I'm not looking to switch back anytime soon.

Faldo is a dumba** on this one, with the capital D on purpose.

Graphite is in no way shape or form inferior in wedges.

I’m playing graphite Recoil 780 ES Smackwrap shafts in all of my Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges. Crazy part is that they are 87g shafts, not only much lighter than my prior wedge set of 120g, but also lighter than the Recoil 110 Prototypes in my irons.

I have loved the graphite shafts in my wedges and found that I have a lot more feel with partial shots. I think it’s a bit unorthodox, but these have been the best performing set of wedges I have had.

I actually thought it was a very insightful thing when you heard Bryson questioning the shafts in the wedges. I can't recall ever hearing a pro question his gear during the round.

While I don't have graphite in my 54 and 58, I do in my AW. I like it. But at the same time, my margin of error with any club in the bag is far different than that of a pro. The main benefit for me, my hands/wrists/elbows don't hate me after a round anymore.

Faldo is an old fart that grabs onto a sticking point and just keeps harping on it.

It does seem like Bryson does need to explore something with his short irons and wedges. He frequently seems to get extra distance and struggles with direction on his wedges. It may not be equipment based but tied to him still learning his new swing. Frankly what we have in our wedges has no bearing on what Bryson needs. Even the fastest of us (I am not on that list) doesn’t approach Bryson’s speed.

If he had dialed in his approach shots this week he would have run away even more.

Back