Graphite Iron Shafts vs. Steel Iron Shafts

TC

Keg Thrower
Reaction score
Handicap
Now we may proceed with the discussion.

I find it comical that guys try to justify their graphite iron decisions. You know who I'm talking to. Why? Old deano gets fit for S300 shafts and wants PX 5.5 graphite. A little different characteristics between the two mon frere'.

And Tmex, constantly going on and on about his C.Kua's yet the i20's w/ CFS STEEL shafts blow them away not only on a monitor, but on the range.

So what's the deal dudes. Are your wrists, elbows, etc that bad?

I love this thread already.

I love this thread already.

I have my theory as to why they love the graphite breezy. And yes, it's going to be entertaining. Every piece of data Tmex has shared has proved to us that a cast head/steel shaft combo destroys his forged head/graphite combo. So why not the change?

I'm interested in this as well because I had never even thought of graphite in irons because I have no health issues whatsoever. If I found some graphite shafts that gave me the same or better results than steel, I might consider them for the long run. But as of right now, I'm an all steel irons guy too.

I knew where this was going when I read TC's last comment about the shafts in my fitting thread. That's the first thing the fitter asked me if I had elbow or wrist issues because that was the only reason I should be playing graphite in my irons in his opinion

I have a pretty slow swing speed and I had a lot of trouble getting a higher ball flight. I switched to the Prolaunch blues in my irons and it really has made a big difference.

I'm interested in this as well because I had never even thought of graphite in irons because I have no health issues whatsoever. If I found some graphite shafts that gave me the same or better results than steel, I might consider them for the long run. But as of right now, I'm an all steel irons guy too.

I think that's what people just assume, that graphite is for health preservation, but the fact is, there are some graphite offerings that perform quite well. If you can afford them. In my limited experience, I see more spin and slightly higher launch. No thanks.

I knew where this was going when I read TC's last comment about the shafts in my fitting thread. That's the first thing the fitter asked me if I had elbow or wrist issues because that was the only reason I should be playing graphite in my irons in his opinion

Your write up was awesome. And full of good stuff Tim. It was part of the inspiration but there's more to it. I'm ready to get down to the root of some of these dudes infatuations.

Is it double cheating if you use a belly putter and graphite iron shafts?

Is it double cheating if you use a belly putter and graphite iron shafts?

Absolutely. Or you're just so frail you shouldn't be playing golf.

Well TC to be fair the i20's blow away anything else i've tried. Period. Lol. They're that good for me.

I've hit my C Kua ZStars to the Steel ZStars and not only is my distance better but the shafts felt more stable and my dispersion was better. All prior to swing change haha.

The steel shafted Nike VR Forged were close to my C Kua ZStars, and still above the steel ZStars.

My point with the comparisons is really the only iron I've hit that blows the C Kuas out is the i20. Even theDPC's and CB's with the PX 6.0 was still shorter than my C Kuas and about the same dispersion wise.

Graphite has this stigma of not holding up... For a lot of people, shafts are holding up but their swings are not there. I swing hard even though my SS doesnt always show it. Everyone that has hit these ZStars has either been blwon away by how nice these lightweight graphite shafts have felt or wanted to buy them from me.

I'm not gonna BS ya with all graphite shafts are equal. As I got stronger with the Adams, the Pro Launch Blues werent the best fit in a few areas. The PX graphites I'm just not a fan of. Short and too much spin compared to their Steel counterparts.

I'm not old enough for graphite just yet so I will wait another 20 or so years. Seriously though I like the heavier feel of steel shafts now. Maybe when arthur comes to visit and hopefully he won't, I will have to try the lighter and softer feeling shafts. Less vibration could be a really good thing for those who need that comfort.

I have my theory as to why they love the graphite breezy. And yes, it's going to be entertaining. Every piece of data Tmex has shared has proved to us that a cast head/steel shaft combo destroys his forged head/graphite combo. So why not the change?

Dude not even close. I've provided you with numbers brohammer!

TC, the only experience I have ever had with the graphite shafts were the Miyazaki's that come stock in the Cleveland Black irons. I dont know if it was the shaft, the iron head, or the combination of them both, but I just loved the feel of that set, and hit them very, very well. Thats the only reason I have for liking those shafts, however, I have never hit them on a monitor or anything like that, only during my rounds, so I dont have any hard data.

Thanks Tmex. Makes complete sense to me. But, let's look at the steel shaft arena for just a minute too. Companies seem to be embracing the lighter, softer movement, without sacraficing performance. Do you think that this could potentially hurt graphite as an option? Or will there always be graphite to quite simply, "cater to the seniors"?

Your write up was awesome. And full of good stuff Tim. It was part of the inspiration but there's more to it. I'm ready to get down to the root of some of these dudes infatuations.

Couple of things... his lie angle was altered too no? He wasnt hitting off the rack... Razr Blacks should be longer. I'd be concerned if he walked away and they werent.

Thanks Tmex. Makes complete sense to me. But, let's look at the steel shaft arena for just a minute too. Companies seem to be embracing the lighter, softer movement, without sacraficing performance. Do you think that this could potentially hurt graphite as an option? Or will there always be graphite to quite simply, "cater to the CHUNKY"?
FIFY, I think while there have been huge advancement in graphite iron shafts, steel has made big advancements too.

I think that's what people just assume, that graphite is for health preservation, but the fact is, there are some graphite offerings that perform quite well. If you can afford them. In my limited experience, I see more spin and slightly higher launch. No thanks.

Doesn't Kuchar and maybe even Sneds use graphite in their irons? I would like to hit some graphite at some point to see how I like them, but right now I'm perfectly happy with steel so I see no reason to change.

Thanks Tmex. Makes complete sense to me. But, let's look at the steel shaft arena for just a minute too. Companies seem to be embracing the lighter, softer movement, without sacraficing performance. Do you think that this could potentially hurt graphite as an option? Or will there always be graphite to quite simply, "cater to the seniors"?

I think it could big time dude. Part of the problem is most of the graphite shafts that would cater to the faster swingers (not trying to generalize but I have too) are going to cost a bit of $$$. Who the hell would want to pay $100+ for an iron shaft? Lol. Not this dude.

If Miyazaki can get their C Kuas around the CTapers of the world, you just have to get out of the mindset of graphite vs steel and look at premium vs premium... then let the numbers and feel decide. But only one graphite shaft maker wont be able to hold it down. PX needs to figure out their shafts and quick. They have a huge opportunity and I think its hard to shuck the seniors only rep for graphite. I liken it to the forged vs cast debate.

Couple of things... his lie angle was altered too no? He wasnt hitting off the rack... Razr Blacks should be longer. I'd be concerned if he walked away and they werent.

Yes, I did go 1* up...but I went all the way to 120g shaft weight vs 60g graphite

Doesn't Kuchar and maybe even Sneds use graphite in their irons? I would like to hit some graphite at some point to see how I like them, but right now I'm perfectly happy with steel so I see no reason to change.

Let me ask, why is it graphite vs steel? Why isnt it shaft vs shaft? Dont you just play what works and not care what it is?

I'm trying to find something lighter that doesn't feel as crappy as the DGS300. My first thought was graphite. Though lately I have been trying other options as well. Could always use those shaft inserts to absorb the shock anyway if needed.

As soon as I get home I will stick up for my shovel/graphite bros. How dare you Big Carolina!

Let me ask, why is it graphite vs steel? Why isnt it shaft vs shaft? Dont you just play what works and not care what it is?
IMO, that's what it should be. People always say "Play what fits your game."

Back