Graphite Iron Shafts

TWNG

Reaction score
I want to switch over from steel to graphite shafts in my irons to ease the impact on elbow joints. I borrowed some Callaway X-24 hot irons with the old original stock Callaway stiff graphite shafts and really liked them, but cant find them anywhere. Think they were 65g mid-kick. I ended up purchasing some used Callaway Steelhead XR's with Matrix Ozik Program F15 stiff shafts and like the heads, but dont really care for the shafts, as they feel a bit dead, no kick and did not get as much distance. Thinking I need a less stout stiff graphite shaft, as the old original stock ones on the X-24's were less stout, even though both were stiff. So, looking to reshaft, but not sure what shafts to try. Thinking maybe some Recoil ES 460's in a stiff. Wonder if someone has some recommendations of graphite shafts to try. My driver SS is around 100 or a few more, if I jump on it. Tempo is probably medium. My ball flight with the X-24 graphite shafts was probably on the higher side of mid to high, but I liked the flight. Thanks for any suggestions to try.

I want to switch over from steel to graphite shafts in my irons to ease the impact on elbow joints. I borrowed some Callaway X-24 hot irons with the old original stock Callaway stiff graphite shafts and really liked them, but cant find them anywhere. Think they were 65g mid-kick. I ended up purchasing some used Callaway Steelhead XR's with Matrix Ozik Program F15 stiff shafts and like the heads, but dont really care for the shafts, as they feel a bit dead, no kick and did not get as much distance. Thinking I need a less stout stiff graphite shaft, as the old original stock ones on the X-24's were less stout, even though both were stiff. So, looking to reshaft, but not sure what shafts to try. Thinking maybe some Recoil ES 460's in a stiff. Wonder if someone has some recommendations of graphite shafts to try. My driver SS is around 100 or a few more, if I jump on it. Tempo is probably medium. My ball flight with the X-24 graphite shafts was probably on the higher side of mid to high, but I liked the flight. Thanks for any suggestions to try.
Honestly, it’s worth going to a fitter and paying them so you can try several different ones. I had recoils. I loved the feel of them. Very smooth and they certainly launched plenty high.

I have since switched to Steelfibers. Several reasons but I always tell people the easiest way for me to describe them is that they just feel very stable. I still hit the ball plenty high but for me I think the recoils were a bit too high. But I also went from a 83ish gram shaft to 110g.

There are a few others out there I have not personally tried but should be available at a high end fitter. I only hit 2 iron shafts at my fitting to find what worked. The other was also a Steelfiber just heavier at 125 and that was a bit much for me.

Thanks for the responses. I would be concerned if the Steelfibers would be too stout for me, but of course, the only way to know is to try hitting them. I will look into a fitting, but I also wanted some suggestions to try out at the fitter and not rely soley on the fitter's choices. Will also check those shaft listings to see if any others sound interesting. Thank you.

Look into the Recoil 95 -- I have that and Recoil 80s -- My friend who has a bit faster swing speed prefers the 95 where I like the 80s the best.

he is in your swing speed range.

I inherited a set of Diawa graphite shafted golf clubs from my father-in-law when he passed. They have the whisker patent pending shafts in regular flex. I found them to be on the stiffer side and heavier 80 + grams. They have a noticeable kick at impact that is not there with other graphite shafts. Everybody who has hit them has commented on the kick and the added distance that comes with it. These shafts were made in the early 1990s and were quite expensive at the time.

Thanks for the additional suggestions. If I get a chance to try those two others, I will. My friends have some Aldila synergy 60 in a regular, and the Recoil ES 460 in a regular, so I will try to hit those and see how they feel. Since there can be a wide range of stiffness labeled as regular or stiff, I am open to try either. And if I get to a fitter, probably can try more options in the right grouping that fits me the best.

Thanks for the responses. I would be concerned if the Steelfibers would be too stout for me, but of course, the only way to know is to try hitting them. I will look into a fitting, but I also wanted some suggestions to try out at the fitter and not rely soley on the fitter's choices. Will also check those shaft listings to see if any others sound interesting. Thank you.
I'm currently gaming the Recoil 780 smacwrap in my i500's and my G710's and have previously gamed the Recoil 95. I have a higher ball flight with the 780 than I did the 95 but I love the feel of both. I tried to steelfiber i95 in the G710's and found it to be too stiff for my liking even in F3 flex so I went back to the recoil 780 in them. I have the Recoil 460 es in my 4&5 hybrids and I feel they were an excellent choice! Happy hunting!

I am also playing the recoils in my SpeedZones, elbow pain non existent, hands are a lot less

Thank you. Will consider to try some of the different UST recoils. Never have seen Diawa (Daiwa?) shafts, but will try them, if I ever do.

I like the Ping G710's as well, as I tried hitting them before. Only negative was a little harsh clack on the sound, but I would game them. And they are a bit pricey. Maybe will consider them when the price drops more. Until then, will try some older Callaways.

I’m about to make the switch to all graphite shafts. Thanks THP, Ben Hogan, and UST Mamyia

I currently have a Recoil 460 ESX F4 in my 4i. I use it as a driving iron and hit it better than my 5W at the moment.

im in the same approximate 100 mph driver swing as you. The 460 ESX is much lighter than I would want in the rest of my irons. But is very stable. A hack line me can crank out 225-235 yards off the tee with it.

Definitely give the Recoil line a try.

I thought graphite was the bees knees but I’ve since swapped to steel and don’t see myself going back

Back