Graphite shaft prep

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
What is the general consensus around what tools you use to prepare a graphite shaft tip and butt?

Manual with a good hacksaw & blade?

Chop saw using a good blade and care?

I’ve done both & my chop saw is a small 2” Harbor Freight thing that doesn’t have enough horsepower to do a quick cut and multiple cuts.

I like the chop saw as it’s faster and easier to get a good clean cut but I need to upgrade my small one to a slightly bigger one with more grunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butt trimming, I can use a flywheel and just buzz it, then use the flat edge of a bench grinder to clean it up. Tip prep, I'll use sandpaper or another dremel tool and just use light pressure until it's missing paint and not more than that. A bit of painters tape helps too so you don't prep more than you need to!

Butt trimming, I can use a flywheel and just buzz it, then use the flat edge of a bench grinder to clean it up. Tip prep, I'll use sandpaper or another dremel tool and just use light pressure until it's missing paint and not more than that. A bit of painters tape helps too so you don't prep more than you need to!

Sorry, for tip prep I meant tip trim. Curious on what tools are being used out there.

Sorry, for tip prep I meant tip trim. Curious on what tools are being used out there.

OH, I misunderstood that one a bit then. Back to the flywheel comment then. It gets the job done, and then it's easy enough to just buzz down any spots if it's not to my liking until satisfied.

I use a hacksaw with a blade specifically made to cut graphite. Wrap the area I am going to cut well in masking tape before taking saw to shaft.

I do butt trimming with a cut-off wheel on my Dremel and then smooth with a 2” belt sander.

Tip prep is on said belt sander.

Back