Great short article on improving your putting warm ups and practice.

dhartmann34

Reaction score
Handicap
I've always been a decent putter, averaging around 29 putts a round but getting to the 24-25 level was always tough unless I was missing greens like crazy. Came upon this article talking about starting your round by making a bunch of 1 and 2 footers before you start taking 5, 10, 25 footers. In my head it made a lot of sense. I'll admit it's helped me tremendously and I've been MUCH more confident and successful with the 3-10 footers as of late. Give it a read!!

http://pluggedingolf.com/putting-start-with-makes/

I might have to do this. When I work on my pre-round putting, I just drop a ball, pick a hole, and go for it. I miss every time. The psychology of this game...

I agree with this approach. When I do decide to putt on the practice greens, I always start with 2-3 foot putts. After I can make those regularly, I'll move back to 5-6 feet and make some of those. From there I'll move back to about 10 feet and try to make a few. From there, I'll back up and go cross green for the longest putts and try to make them or leave myself a putt within 2-3 feet which I was practiced at the start.

This is an excellent idea - my putting is not good (I average around 36 putts a round) and I've still shot rounds in the low 80's and high 70's with putting like that. If I could cut back on the putts on the days where my ballstriking isn't that great, my index would probably drop a few points from that alone. I will have to try this before my 9 holes tonight.

Good article Derek, caught this one from you following them on Facebook I think. I've incorporated this into my practice even when not playing a round. I think it's boosted my confidence from that as well.

Good article Derek, caught this one from you following them on Facebook I think. I've incorporated this into my practice even when not playing a round. I think it's boosted my confidence from that as well.

Yeah, it's been a great help for me. I played in a tourney last weekend and didn't miss one putt under 5 feet and made 90% under 10 feet. Those short ones really get the stroke going smooth and gives me the confidence to see it going in the hole.

This is an excellent idea - my putting is not good (I average around 36 putts a round) and I've still shot rounds in the low 80's and high 70's with putting like that. If I could cut back on the putts on the days where my ballstriking isn't that great, my index would probably drop a few points from that alone. I will have to try this before my 9 holes tonight.

Let me know how it goes for you!

Back