Greatest amateur golfer you have ever played with

For me it would be John Harris. He had a brief PGA Tour career but when I played with him in 1986 he was an amateur. He was a stud hockey player for Minnesota in college and won the US Amateur in 1993 when he was in his 40's.

^^^ this guy. He gets into this more where it's surgical. Really cool to watch unfold on the course
He can no doubt hit all the shots, but he literally had my mouth wide open with his short game during our round. Especially a straight downhill from about 30 feet that had a couple feet of break. I thought he'd do good to get it within five feet. Of course he drained it with perfect speed.

Dan I'm sure you remember that one, from the back of that green that was elevated to a front pin, can't remember the hole but it was on our back nine.

One of two guys here at the club, not sure which is better. One has won the Georgia state am two or three times and finished in the top six for years as well as the state match play championship three or four times. He previously played some minitours and regained his amateur status, his current handicap index is +4.9. The other is a young guy going in the other direction, still improving, he played on a NCAA national championship team at Alabama and made it through Q school but finished too low in status to play every web.com event and will have to go through q school again. The younger guy is probably better now but I don't know who was better when both had amateur status. The most amazing thing I've see the young guy do, he borrowed my three iron on the range and began striping it 250 high and straight, amazing because he plays right handed.

Very rare and crazy for a +6 handicap player to not be a professional golfer. I think Phil Mickelson is a +4.7 or something like that.
I think Phil and most pros are closer to +7 or +8 than four or five.

The lowest cap at my home course is +3.5

There is local guy who I have met but not played with who is +5 and works for a living and only plays competitively locally.

He plays a 6800 yard home course that is one of the more difficult local tracks.
He has shot a 58 and 59 there.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I've played with a few local pros who have shot 66-69 on occasion, but nobody anyone would know.

Gonna go non-THP because I could name 5 or 6 guys off the top of my head.

I've played in scrambles with a couple of guys who went to Q-School and even when they didn't have their A-game, you could tell they were really, really special.

Bad answer, but I have no idea. I know a guy who plays on the mini tours, so maybe him, a couple guys at my old club stick out, this guy I played with in TN a few weeks ago was a .5 and I remember playing with Canadan and the score from our round made him a scratch I believe. And I suppose I should mention myself...

I played with a guy this past summer that just blew my mind. According to another guy I met at their clubhouse he offered many times to cover the expenses and get him into q-school but he had no interest. I played a qwk 9 with him, he shot a -3 and lipped out 3 other birdie attempts. The sound that ball made as it ripped through the air was something. I knew I had to pay attention to what he was doing. When he hit a 9i 200yds with some backspin I just laughed. Disappointed he doesn't try for the odd tournament like the opens etc.

Pete Detemple here where I live. Wins every club championship around here and pretty much every GCAT championship flight tournament he enters. Also made it to the Senior US Open. Just crazy how good he is.

Also honorable mention goes to David Winchell, he has got some game!

Canadan... enough said.

I think Phil and most pros are closer to +7 or +8 than four or five.

The lowest cap at my home course is +3.5

There is local guy who I have met but not played with who is +5 and works for a living and only plays competitively locally.

He plays a 6800 yard home course that is one of the more difficult local tracks.
He has shot a 58 and 59 there.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/yes-some-tour-pros-have-a-handicap-phils-is-52

Granted this is from a few years ago, but it shows quite a few tour pros handicaps.

He is an incredible player and one of the best I've been fortunate to play with, probably the best on course dimeanor I've witnessed.
I appreciate the kind words my friend.

A friend of mine hangs around a 1-2 handicap and he is the straightest longest hitter I have played with. Having never seen my home course he shot a 77 first time out and he was recently the runner up in the UK Northern Masters with a 2 round total of +3 gross

It is fun to watch him play but annoying at the same time when he smacks one 300yds straight down the middle of the fairway and makes me feel jealous. He is a bloody good badminton player as well and games at our badminton club are always fun when we get together

Pete Detemple here where I live. Wins every club championship around here and pretty much every GCAT championship flight tournament he enters. Also made it to the Senior US Open. Just crazy how good he is.

Also honorable mention goes to David Winchell, he has got some game!

Hey thanks man! ?

I only saw him hit 6 iron. The entire round. Including putting.
I feel robbed.
:alien:

My January golf lacks a majority of the seriousness necessary... But JB's altitudes hit so well it was a crime to use anything else!

He can no doubt hit all the shots, but he literally had my mouth wide open with his short game during our round. Especially a straight downhill from about 30 feet that had a couple feet of break. I thought he'd do good to get it within five feet. Of course he drained it with perfect speed.

Dan I'm sure you remember that one, from the back of that green that was elevated to a front pin, can't remember the hole but it was on our back nine.

hahaha I am still not convinced that putt went in..

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/yes-some-tour-pros-have-a-handicap-phils-is-52

Granted this is from a few years ago, but it shows quite a few tour pros handicaps.

Isn't whispering rock an extremely difficult course? That's an insane handicap for that slope/rating.

While watching the golf channel during a tournament that Furyk has won a couple times, they said during tournament play at that course his handicap would calculate out to around +8. That's stupid. If tour players played the courses I set my handicap on (and most others on here), they would be much more than that I would probably bet.

Isn't whispering rock an extremely difficult course? That's an insane handicap for that slope/rating.

While watching the golf channel during a tournament that Furyk has won a couple times, they said during tournament play at that course his handicap would calculate out to around +8. That's stupid. If tour players played the courses I set my handicap on (and most others on here), they would be much more than that I would probably bet.

Not sure on Whispering Rock. I just remembered reading the article about their handicaps. From everything I've read, it seems to me that professional golfers fall between +4 and +8.

Those tour pros are so so so so good. Why it is useless even comparing to them or trying to emulate their golf swings. Everything they do is exact opposite to us . Either online forum chatter or non online forum everyday golf groups. I'm sure they country club i play they would have a few break 60 in a round. ( course rating is 70.1 from the back tees)

why fell back in love with golf late this summer. I care less about what other people do golf wise , but am all about what I do with my game

Ole Gray can back me up on this one!

When I moved to Augusta at age 24, I joined a local goat track named Green Meadows, and soon met a kid named David Usry - he was 14. We started playing a lot - like maybe 250 rounds a year for the next several years. He was a high school All-American at the same time as Billy Andrade, who at the time was supposed to be the next Nicklaus. By the time David graduated HS, he had scholarship offers and chose Georgia Southern - but he only stayed a few quarters. Then he was offered pretty much a full ride on the Florida mini-tour circuit, where he made enough to just better than break even. But, he was a homebody - which is why he didn't stay in college, and why even though he had paid-for lodging he came back-and-forth to Augusta between every tourney instead of practicing at the tournament courses between events like his competition.

One summer I had my cap at its peak at about +1.5, but David was better than +4 - and in that entire year I only beat him one time. He shot 62 or 63 at virtually every local course that summer. He had a long, rhythmic, fluid swing and a ball flight I have never seen before or since. His iron shots seemed to hook upwards to the peak, then fall softly out of the sky like a fade. He was the best iron player I ever saw (and I have played with around 20 guys that made the PGA Tour). It was common to see him hit it within 5 feet 6 or 8 times per round. He was not the most consistent driver of the ball, but was so good with the 3 wood he probably could have made it w/o driver. He ultimately became a club pro and worked at several clubs in GA and SC.

Ole Gray caddied for David some in those years - I hope he sees this and adds his perspective.

Jimmy Key (Former Yankees Pitcher) he was impressively good

I have a played with a bunch of good players including city and county champions, high school state champions, mini tour players, state and USGA qualifiers, NCAA D1 and D2 players and a whole bunch of guys who can flat play. Around 8 to 10 years ago my regular group in our weekend skins game was my buddy who missed senior tour by a stroke at Q school, a OSHAA state champion, and a USGA Pub Linx semifinalist.

The best of them all was my buddy who missed the senior tour. He was 55 or 56 when I started playing with him and played so good it was unreal. I can only imagine how good he played in his prime. In the the club championship one year we are even on 7 tee. I play holes 7 thru 14 in -2 and he plays them in -7. To beat me 5 and 4 on 14. One other time he had 56 straight holes making no worse than par for that stretch.

I've played with a number of guys who went on to D1 schools to golf, and a few of them played the Mini Tours.

Though I've not got a chance to play with him, Steve Gotsche, he use to be the Head Pro here in town, and is now the Head Pro and Colbert Hills in Manhattan, KS. I've watched him play some. He played and had a PGA Tour card for a few years. PGA Tour Profile shows he played in 90 PGA Tour events, and made the cut in 37 of them. He's played in 9 US Opens, only made the cut in 3 of them, highest being T32 (1996). If he could ever putt consistently for 4 days in a row, he would have won a few events ON Tour. He won 2 Nationwide Events back (1990) when they were the Nike Tour as well as Kansas Open and PGA Assistant Professional Championship the same year. He won the Nebraska Open (1998), Midwest PGA Championship in 2008. Most recently he qualified for the US Senior Open when it was in Nebraska in 2013, but didn't make the cut.

EJ Tackett. +3 handicap and pro bowler.

I had the good fortune to play with a multiple time state champion who was also a coworker and I also played with a young man who was a neighbor who played on the PGA tour i a few tournaments.

The first gentleman was not especially long or flashy but, at the end of the day, he was always right around par.

The second player was very long (for the 90's) and had a great short game. It just seemed he did not have the killer instinct to finish four rounds with all low scores.

Back