Greatest American Rock Band?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
It’s a topic that’s been circulating social media, but what does THP think? Who is the greatest American rock band of all time?

My first impulse is Van Halen because I've always been a fan, but I'll have to go with Aerosmith.

• Staff
I’m firmly in the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers camp, I can listen to EVERY single album front to back, and the hits are countless.

I do also think the Foo Fighters deserve to be in the talk.

It’s a topic that’s been circulating social media, but what does THP think? Who is the greatest American rock band of all time?
I don't know it it can be determined given eras, genres, playing styles, etc. I'm with you on Tom Petty. I'm with you on Foo Fighters. I would say Nirvana. I would say Tool. I don't think it can be certain

My first impulse is Van Halen because I've always been a fan, but I'll have to go with Aerosmith.
Dang, this is perfect proof that people have different tastes because Aerosmith wouldn’t crack my top 1000

• Staff
I don't know it it can be determined given eras, genres, playing styles, etc. I'm with you on Tom Petty. I'm with you on Foo Fighters. I would say Nirvana. I would say Tool. I don't think it can be certain
That’s why I liked the Q so much, there are way more great american rock bands than I think we realize.

I can make the case for a few bands but I’m having a tough time picking just one (but thank you for causing me to explore some Spotify tonight!). I just pray no one says Green Day.

• Staff
Dang, this is perfect proof that people have different tastes because Aerosmith wouldn’t crack my top 1000
Oh come on, they’ve got to be top 50

• Staff
I can make the case for a few bands but I’m having a tough time picking just one (but thank you for causing me to explore some Spotify tonight!). I just pray no one says Green Day.
Peak Green Day was great, current green day.......puke

Pearl jam
the beach boys

Their stuff doesn’t hold up for me but I have terrible taste in music.
Hahahaha, well I don’t know how to argue you hating yourself Gary

I certainly would not argue against Tom Petty, but for me Journey is king. Don't Stop Believin' will forever be an iconic song.

I certainly would not argue against Tom Petty, but for me Journey is king. Don't Stop Believin' will forever be an iconic song.
There’s ANOTHER great one.

Eagles
Nirvana
Metallica.

Broad genere

Hahahaha, well I don’t know how to argue you hating yourself Gary
I’m the first to admit I have strange tastes
Yup. Absolutely. And I hate how the classics have been beat into the dirt but there are so many good songs

I just feel like there’s a few bands that are regarded the greatest and I just heard them over and over through high school that now I’m just so over them.
1 nirvana
2 rage against the machine
3 Green Day

I’m the first to admit I have strange tastes and

Yup. Absolutely. And I hate how the classics have been beat into the dirt but there are so many good songs
Best part is like the Heartbreakers, Journey is another if you go listen to the albums, they’re SO good outside the radio hits.

I just feel like there’s a few bands that are regarded the greatest and I just heard them over and over through high school that now I’m just so over them.
1 nirvana
2 rage against the machine
3 Green Day
I respect Nirvana, but I don’t care for them, talk about played into the ground.

Rage isn’t my cup, but I respect them too.

Some of Metallica I can still handle, same with guns and roses but jeez..

Metallica
Sound garden

everyone else..

Back