Greatest American Rock Band?

The Band is maybe my favorite band of all time, any country.
4 of the 5 members were Canadian and they originated in Toronto.

My apologies... I am coming to this thread late and have not read through it in its entirety. What is the definition of “greatest?” If it is an objective standard, such as most album sales, it has to be the Eagles.
According to Wikipedia, Elvis Presley would take the crown for American artists. And it's sad to see that Madonna, Rihanna, Eminem, Taylor Swift and Mariah Carey all rank higher in album sales than the Eagles.

According to Wikipedia, Elvis Presley would take the crown for American artists. And it's sad to see that Madonna, Rihanna, Eminem, Taylor Swift and Mariah Carey all rank higher in album sales than the Eagles.

I thought the thread was about bands, though, and not solo artists.

I thought the thread was about bands, though, and not solo artists.
does Dave Matthews Band count as a band due to having Band in the name

what about Springsteen & the E Street Band

4 of the 5 members were Canadian and they originated in Toronto.
Yep, I know. I’ve talked about it before in the thread when they were initially mentioned.

does Dave Matthews Band count as a band due to having Band in the name

what about Springsteen & the E Street Band
Well, those are groups so obviously they count.

And it’s my thread, so.....

You provided us with Bieber, which cancels out any of the great musical artists that were from Canada.
Bieber isn’t my thing either, but he does have talent. Besides, we also loaned you Neil Young!

The Band is maybe my favorite band of all time, any country.

I’m quite familiar with nearly every band people have posted in this thread, American and not, but somehow I have never heard of The Band before.

I’m quite familiar with nearly every band people have posted in this thread, American and not, but somehow I have never heard of The Band before.

I looked them up and am listening now. I know they were before I was born but so were a lot of the others that I have listened to extensively. Not sure how I hadn’t at least heard of them.

The Traveling Wilburys....find a group with more all-time greats. Dylan, Harrison, Lynne, Orbison and Petty.

Origin...California, so this one counts, right?

Post-Orbison, this had to be one of the greatest tributes ever:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

And my post above/below this one reminds me that Prince should be in the running too........

This. They are criminally underrated and definitely the best to break out of the last 15-20 years.
Yep, they have traditional, psychedelic, blues, and pop rock all covered across their catalogue. They are a great band.

Pearl Jam
Dream Theater
P-Funk

My taste in music varies widely haha.

I didn't read most of the posts in this thread. I would guess a good argument could be made in favor of at least 10-15 different bands for various reasons, and listener tastes. There is no wrong answer I don't think.

If I had to choose a "best of the best", I'd have to give a nod to The Eagles. Just too many great songs. That, and Joe Walsh is still a classic rock star.

I am also aware that a lot of people don't consider them a true "rock band" because they had a banjo in some of their songs I am not one of those people.

PRIMUS:thp::drinks:

Just have to listen to one of their Slapping Bass Lines.

Pure unadulterated America 🎸 Rock:drinks:

So many good bands here, I'll add STP from my era, even though they were mostly panned by critics for being manufactured... I'd argue most dynamic rock front man from the 90s-2000s

So many good bands here, I'll add STP from my era, even though they were mostly panned by critics for being manufactured... I'd argue most dynamic rock front man from the 90s-2000s
Man, the “Core” album is one of my front tire back favorites.

And my post above/below this one reminds me that Prince should be in the running too........

I definitely can get behind that. Prince was a musical genius.

I definitely can get behind that. Prince was a musical genius.
Monster catalog and had one of the best Superbowl halftime performances I can recall...in the rain no less... Not sure if that adds bonus points for his score, but we've all seen some other live acts ISH THE BED bigtime on a grand stage.

Hmmmmm so many to pick Top 3 would be Steely Dan, Prince and the Revolution, and Van Halen

I really really want to say Tool, but they are more metal, and progressive metal at that, they are no where near "rock band"

Also Van Halens Fair Warning absolutely crushes to this day. Seriously its like 32 minutes of sonic assault. Its a masterpiece.

Back