Greatest Player Ever to Have Only Won One Major: Round 1, Match 2 (Woodland v Coody)

Pick one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Gary Woodland, 2019 US Open
Professional wins: 4
PGA Tour wins: 4
Major Top 10’s: 3 (including the win)
Career low round: 61, 2019 CIMB Classic (Round 2)

Charles Coody, 1971 Masters
Professional wins: 15
PGA Tour wins: 3
Euro Tour wins: 2
Other wins: 1
Senior PGA Tour wins: 5
Other Senior wins: 4
Career low round: 62, 1971 Cleveland Open Invitational (Round 3)

Continuing the theme, pick who you think is the greatest player between the two above. Preliminary relevant stats are listed, but feel free to add other stats to support your theory. I get that most of these young guys haven't had the time on Tour that the old timers they're going up against have had to amass victories, etc., but I don't think that you automatically assume they'll get more and you have to give credit to the guys who have actually hammered out the wins.

Plus, I'm not sure of a better way to match them without a great debate seeding them all and that wasn't in the plans.

I think a title edit may be in order

edit my bad. Understood it wrong

I think a title edit may be in order

edit my bad. Understood it wrong

Yeah, I was informed that the wording from Round 1 implied that these guys would never win another major so I changed it to "Have Only Won". If we get through one round each day from here on out, then we'll finish before anyone can win another major, I think.

Yeah, I was informed that the wording from Round 1 implied that these guys would never win another major so I changed it to "Have Only Won". If we get through one round each day from here on out, then we'll finish before anyone can win another major, I think.
What’s tough...Woodland is still in his prime. May be at his best right now so it’s tough to compare to someone with Senior wins.

What’s tough...Woodland is still in his prime. May be at his best right now so it’s tough to compare to someone with Senior wins.

Understood, but you can't go on what might be. Heck, he might get killed in a vehicle crash tomorrow. No one know the day or time that they'll meet their creator. We can only judge based on what has already been accomplished.

I'll leave this up until tomorrow around 1130 CDT or so. Get those votes in. I'm sure some of these, especially the first few, will be rather lopsided, but there's gotta be some conversations to be had in here.

I'm gonna leave this up for a bit so we can get a tie breaker.

@IceyShanks @BoilerCLE @*Range Rat @bigfish1217 you guys put up your thought process as to who you picked. Hoping to get a discussion going at some point in one of these.

@obedt you wanna be the tie breaker?

This is a tough one. Giving it to Woodland since he's still young...

Gary is at his prime. Coody has a bugs name. Woodland for the win.

With it being said that Woodland is still young. In this day and age where numbers rule everything, my pick was solely based on the players’ stats listed above.

This is a tough one. Giving it to Woodland since he's still young...

I get that. This has to be based on what a player has already accomplished and not what they might (probably will) accomplish. That's especially true since many of the guys that will be debated are dead already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back