Greatest Player to Ever Win Only One Major

Test

• Total voters

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I figured since I like polls and we all like to have contests to see the "best" of a given category, I'd set this one up. I only went back to the last 64 players with only one major championship, but that got me back to 1969 and I feel pretty good that whoever wins this "tournament" is likely the best player with one and only one major to his name. The bracket is pictured and individual polls will show up shortly for the first round. I'm going to make them all last 2 days so I'm not killing myself with this stuff every day. The first couple of days are gonna be a killer.

Anyway, I didn't feel like putting too much thought into the seeding so I just call the newest #1 seed and the oldest #64 seed. See below:SingleMajorChampionsThru11.PNG

Feel free to comment on individual matchups here, but don't just blurt out who you think should win it. I'll try to make the polls so that votes can be changed just in case someone brings up something that changes your mind on who should win a given match.

Let the best man win!

Last edited:
Man, Jimmy Walker was about to go on a tear before that Lyme disease.

Nevermind. The powers that be do not want it to be done. We can have polls about snacks, but not about golf.

Does this seriously need 32 different threads to accomplish?

seems like a basic thread question to me.

Yeah, but potato chip polls are fine. It's all good.

Nevermind. The powers that be do not want it to be done. We can have polls about snacks, but not about golf.

No, we can’t have 32 threads flooding the forum when you can easily do just one bracket like you have in this thread. Which I kindly asked you to do.

Except that is not what was said by @GolferGal
What was said was that if you want to do a 62 person bracket, great, but creating 32 separate threads at once changes the user experience for everybody as that more than fills the entire home page of the forum.

No, we can’t have 32 threads flooding the forum when you can easily do just one bracket like you have in this thread. Which I kindly asked you to do.

It can't be done with one poll.

It can't be done with one poll.

So create 4-6 With groupings.
Like we have asked everybody else that has created a bracket.

We can’t have the user experience ruined by an entire home page taken over by something that can be accomplished at a much easier pace.

Yet we still want people to be creative and create what they want. This seems like a great way to accomplish it all and you can continue it as polls end with new ones.

I can’t get behind this. Not when you seed Michael Campbell at 26 while Tom Kite sits at 44.

Couples or Weiskopf, forget the seeds and just call it ;)

My very first thought is Dustin Johnson.....

would have to look at that bracket more closely to see if anyone else stands out

Edit: After looking through it, two more contenders for me (since I am not old enough to really know all of them haha) would be Justin Thomas (lots of potential there to win at least 2 more majors though) an, an unpopular opinion im sure, P. Reed

DJ is obvious, dude has the longest streak of at least one win a season (with this year being cut short will that affect this? I hope not). Dude just doesn't win majors although has gotten better about contending the past few years.

Justin is in my list due to how good he is in general. He SHOULD move off the one major win list soon, but he needs to stay healthy and get back into form

P reed, I mean, not one of favorite guys on tour, but he is very talented and generally plays consistently well throughout the year to win or come close every year.

Last edited:
I remember as a youngster growing up, my favorite golfer was Tony Lema. Not sure if it was his on course persona, or his nick name "Champagne Tony". I just like the guy.

Tragically his golf career was cut short way too soon. .

I'd like to think he would have been the best to only win one major. If his career had continued on, he probably would have won than one msjor.

Furyk or Couples.

If DJ wins 5-10 more events before the end of his career but none are a major... Maybe bump him up to this.

I honestly believe Adam Scott has a chance to pull himself off this list.

If Westwood ever wins one, I think he has this honor.

Was Sergio on there? I only remember the Masters win but he'd have my vote.

DJ, Couples, Rose, JT and Stenson stick out to me. A bunch of real duds amongst the 64.

Couples and Weiskopf are also good choices. Couples and Venturi were hampered by injury. People today don't realize how good Venturi was and what the expectations were for him. I also didn't realize that Rose only has one major.

So, it looks like we had a little conversation going with this topic and it died.

With approval from @GolferGal, I'm going to revisit the process. I'll be posting one poll per day and we'll debate each individual matchup as they come. Each poll will run for 1 day so in just over two months, we'll have our winner.

I'll start off each thread with some basic stats for each player and a link to their Wikipedia page. I realize that Wikipedia is about as reliable as a fart after mile 15 so feel free to add your own data in the debate.

Last edited:
First matchup will be posted approximately 0900 CDT tomorrow.

I've updated the original post with the current standings (thru match 11).

@WLG1952, Michael Campbell is the 26th seed in the 2nd up from the bottom right going against Lehman in the first round. We'll get to him in a couple of weeks... or not.

Last edited:
Since this line of threads is gaining very little traction, we are going to ask that you complete the bracket you want to do in a single thread.

Thanks for understanding.

Back