Greatest Western movie of all time

I really liked Robert Duvall in this movie, and Costner walking up to that guy and shooting him in the head was a bad @ss move!

Haha.. love that part. Open range is a great dying breed type movie.

Someone with a fine taste..pale rider is also another fav. Awesome shootout..
I bet I have seen almost every western from the late 40’s through 80’s. My dad and grandfather was huge western fans.

The hateful eight!

Does Bone Tomahawk count?

I bet I have seen almost every western from the late 40’s through 80’s. My dad and grandfather was huge western fans.

Same.. multiple times over..

All though not the greatest, I think Quigley Down Under is a good movie.

Had a thought, is The Revenant considered a western? The cinematography is similar. Is western a style of film or a theme?

Had a thought, is The Revenant considered a western? The cinematography is similar. Is western a style of film or a theme?

I don’t consider the revenant a western. It is more like Jeremiah Johnson. A frontiers movie I guess. But not a western.

I would classify it as more horror that’s set in the west.

when I picked it to watch, I had no idea it was gonna be a horror flick...I was surprisingly entertained

Tombstone is one of my favorites period so it'd be my favorite western for sure.

Shane
Unforgiven
The Searchers
Either of the True Grit movies
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Wild Bunch
All three of the Dollars Trilogy movies

Tombstone doesn't even make the list, for me.

Toss up between Outlaw Josey Wales and Tombstone

Comedy western
Blazing Saddles, My name is Nobody.

All good. Add Silverado to the more recent list.

@ddec and I were discussing this the other night and we can’t decide. I say the best is Rio Bravo with tombstone as number 2
What say THP
Lonesome Dove.

End thread.

Wyatt Earp is a better movie than Tombstone. Kevin Costner and Val Kilmer are the better Earp and Holliday than Russel and Quaid. Tombstone has better quotes though.
I’ve always said give me Costner’s Earp and Kilmer’s Doc and it’d have been perfect.

Wyatt Earp is much more accurate, but Tombstone is just quick fun.

I haven’t seen them all, but Unforgiven is my favorite. I don’t get the love for Tombstone. Overrated IMO. Bone Tomahawk gave me nightmares.

The Sons of Katie Elder

Probably not the greatest to most but it was my grandpa’s favorite and we’d watch it all the time.

I haven’t seen them all, but Unforgiven is my favorite. I don’t get the love for Tombstone. Overrated IMO. Bone Tomahawk gave me nightmares.
Honestly, it’s less a western and more a 90’s action flick.

The Sons of Katie Elder

Probably not the greatest to most but it was my grandpa’s favorite and we’d watch it all the time.
An all-timer for sure.

Honestly, it’s less a western and more a 90’s action flick.

That’s a good way to put it. The acting is suspect as well.

Surprised no one has mentioned “Open Range”, it was just about perfect as well.

Tombstone by a wide margin.

Back