Green side bunker

mski

Reaction score
Handicap
9 USGA
How many tell their playing partners "heads up" when hitting out of the bunker?

I usually tell people to hide the children and bring in their pets when I am in a bunker. I don't want to kill anything!

I do if I look and see they aren't paying attention

Only if I have a plugged or other crap lie.

The only time I've ever feared for my life on a course was from a playing partner in a green side bunker. I was standing almost 90 degrees to his right and after it buzzed my head it finally came to rest 30+ yards away in the fairway of the hole next to us. I didn't even have time to react. He played for soft sand it was still hard from the rain the night before.

If they're on the green, yes.

Unless they are behind me I will say heads up.

Yuppers, I don't want to hit them in the back, prefer it if I can get them right between the eyes!

If they're standing near the hole, they're safe.

In all seriousness, if they're anywhere in the danger zone, I certainly will tell them. While I'm not a bad bunker player, I've been known to thin them a time or two, so I'm certainly going to make sure nobody's in danger.

Safest I've ever felt was standing about 3 feet offline while Luke Donald hit bunker shots right past me. No concern whatsoever.

Green side bunkers were a nemesis to me, but I'm getting better. Gary Player's "Strike a match" approach helped it click for me.

Green side bunker

James Sieckmann. Got his book. Liked it so much I bought his digital package. His bunker technique is awesome. Took me about 5 minutes to start getting that nice "thump" that I've always heard about. Bounce is now my friend.

Now I don't need to yell heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do but only because I want them to watch poetry in motion

if they are not paying attention, I do.

Only if it's a really awkward lie....or if they're standing right in front of me. Otherwise I'm fairly confident out of bunkers.

Always. That's mainly because my home course has "bunkers" on precisely one hole, and they tend to be pretty crusty at best. I don't get the practice at making bunker shots, so the results can be erratic. Better safe than concussed.

Well, being on and/or close around the green its usually obvious to everyone that its your turn to hit and quite frankly it's more the rare one is not aware that another is hitting out. Of course I think its kind of automatic I (as well as most) give a look around first before hitting out and on the occasion a person is not aware I would certainly give a heads up call.

Last edited:

Only if someone is standing in my line of play. I usually hit pretty much in the direction I intend, so I don't worry about anything but the possible thinned shot. I'm most likely to hit a bunker shot fat unless I have an uphill lie. In that case I don't swing as hard, because I almost always take less sand before hitting the ball. I play decently from bunkers most of the time - not great, but I have some idea of where the ball is going.

Yesterday no heads up was needed I was in every bunker greenside it seemed like, so they knew. But yeah I will tell people its coming out.

Only if I have a severe downhill or sidehill lie that may come out hot or even shanked!

I do. It's habit from the days when my bunker play really sucked..now it's just mediocre.

Green side bunker

I do that on any pitch shot around the green when there are others around. Grass, bunker - doesn't really matter.

I never plan on blading a pitch or sand shot, but it's possible, especially with an open club face. I want everyone to be on the lookout.

I also want people to know that I'm about to hit so they will stop moving, etc.

If they're on the green, I always say it. Haha, I never know where it's going.

I usually tell people to hide the children and bring in their pets when I am in a bunker. I don't want to kill anything!

Ha!

I say pretty much the same thing.

I did learn something this last week though: playing out of fluffy sand is WAAAAAAAY easier than the hard packed, gravel filled bunkers in most of the courses I can afford to play. I almost looked like I knew what I was doing, it was weird...

Back