JLit

Reaction score
Handicap
Moving in a few weeks, and just wondering if we have any THPers in the area. I'm all ears for golf course and golf scene news in general. Also, any areas to look for a rental home you suggest? Just as important, any areas to avoid?

We lived there for a year.
It was decent.
Golf is not great, but there are a few decent courses depending on where you are living.
Most of the stores/shopping is on a road called Woodruff. The best place to hang out and eat is downtown (which is a great area).

I'm definitely excited about the downtown area, that was one of the draws. Store will be on Woodruff and that seems to be a nice area as well.

We've just begun looking in the Roper Mt and Pelham Rd areas for a home. My biggest concern, are there any areas to avoid at all cost?

We've made one trip down and I like what we've seen so far.

I'm definitely excited about the downtown area, that was one of the draws. Store will be on Woodruff and that seems to be a nice area as well.

We've just begun looking in the Roper Mt and Pelham Rd areas for a home. My biggest concern, are there any areas to avoid at all cost?

We've made one trip down and I like what we've seen so far.

Check out the area on woodruff as you head towards Five Forks. Its a bit newer, and although a tiny bit further away, very clean and nice.
Woodruff is up there with the worst driving road I have ever been on. Horrible drivers, terrible traffic all the time and accidents every day.

Check out the area on woodruff as you head towards Five Forks. Its a bit newer, and although a tiny bit further away, very clean and nice.
Woodruff is up there with the worst driving road I have ever been on. Horrible drivers, terrible traffic all the time and accidents every day.

Is Five Forks heading into the downtown area or the opposite direction and east? We didn't venture that far down Woodruff either way yet. There was definitely A LOT of traffic on Woodruff last weekend when we were visiting. Great for my store, not something I look forward to driving in. Hence the northern areas we looked in with back road access to Magnolia Park center.

Agree 100% with your assessment of Woodfuff Road. My dad lives in assisted living facility right off it and my sister and her family also have a house right off it. My daughter and I will be headed that way on Saturday and will return to the somewhat sanity of south GA on Christmas Eve. I have played 4 courses in Greenville over the years but do not recall what they are called with the exception of Bonnie Bray. I believe that course has been there forever. I remember my grandfather used to play there and he passed away over 40 years ago. Probably been about 15 or 20 years since I last played it.

JLit, when is your move occurring?

Ary, I'll be moving just after Christmas. Wife and kids will be along sometime later, not exactly determined yet if that will be January or end of the school year.

Agree 100% with your assessment of Woodfuff Road. My dad lives in assisted living facility right off it and my sister and her family also have a house right off it. My daughter and I will be headed that way on Saturday and will return to the somewhat sanity of south GA on Christmas Eve. I have played 4 courses in Greenville over the years but do not recall what they are called with the exception of Bonnie Bray. I believe that course has been there forever. I remember my grandfather used to play there and he passed away over 40 years ago. Probably been about 15 or 20 years since I last played it.

I was totally amazed at the amount of assisted living communities we saw last weekend. There are a ton of those, and that's just the Woodruff and northern areas we checked out.

Ary, I'll be moving just after Christmas. Wife and kids will be along sometime later, not exactly determined yet if that will be January or end of the school year.

You should come down to Hilton Head for the Invitational in mid-March!

You should come down to Hilton Head for the Invitational in mid-March!

Oh I'm on that one like donkey kong! I love some HHI and the chance to tee it up with some awesome THPers puts it over the top.

Is Five Forks heading into the downtown area or the opposite direction and east? We didn't venture that far down Woodruff either way yet. There was definitely A LOT of traffic on Woodruff last weekend when we were visiting. Great for my store, not something I look forward to driving in. Hence the northern areas we looked in with back road access to Magnolia Park center.

It is the opposite direction of downtown. If you stay and Woodruff and head away from downtown you will hit the area. Lots of nice residential.
Pelham is not bad either. There are some rough stretches, but not a lot.

Didn't Skittles move down that way?

It's a pretty cool area, downtown is fun to walk around on a nice sunny day. Not sure if you like hiking or fishing but there's a park about a half hour away called jones gap state park that's pretty nice to go hike some trails if you're into that kind of stuff.

Holly Tree is a short drive to Woodruff and I bet there are rentals in there. http://www.hollytreecountryclub.com/

That is a fine place to play. Chanticleer was my favorite course in town.

Holly Tree is another solid place to look for a house. On the way to Five Forks as well.
One thing to note is that Holly Tree is a private club (and a decent one), played it with THPer Ddec last year.

Holly Tree is a short drive to Woodruff and I bet there are rentals in there. http://www.hollytreecountryclub.com/

That is a fine place to play. Chanticleer was my favorite course in town.

JB and I played 9 holes there once. It was so slow we ended up walking off. But the front 9 was very good. The other course we played was The Preserve at Verdae. I really liked that course.
Oh and go to Bova for pizza. I believe that was down towards Five Forks area, but I could be wrong.

Thanks guys. We'll be back down next weekend and are checking out these areas you've recommended.

Back