Greetings from NE Ohio!

JoeyMac

Reaction score
Handicap
Just like to say that is a great forum. I've been lurking for some time around here and have learned alot from many of the posters here. I'm currently hanging out in Western Afghanistan and, given ample spare time with little to do, I'd love to become an active member of the board to discuss one of my favorite hobbies - GOLF!

In fact, with my R&R coming up next month just in time for the season opening, I recently purchased my first set of clubs. Up to this point, I had been playing with a mixed bag of individual clubs given gifted or purchased secondhand. In fact, I don't think a club in my bag had ever cost me more than $30 until a few days ago - haha! This is mostly due to the fact that I have traditionally, up until last year, destroyed golf clubs. My golf bag was like death-row for old used clubs so I never thought to seriously invest in quality equipment... break a club and go to Play-it--again the next day for a $7 replacement. This is a result of being a former baseball player in college and having an unusually fast swing speed with 'lacking' fundamentals. Nevertheless, I do enjoy playing golf tremendously and wanted to invest in becoming a better player and I think that starts with developing consistency in fundamentals and equipment.

Last season I really improved. I went from shooting consistent 120-130 to shooting 90-100 by the end of last season, when I played bogey golf it was a good day and I only managed to shatter one Dick's $19 driver all year. So, sitting over here in The Sandbox with my R&R coming up, I decided it would be a great time to invest in decent clubs since I'm starting to successfully develop a more proper fundamentals. And that is Where THP really came to life for me. I want to get more serious about scoring better.

After much reading, I realized I was looking for "Game Improvement" irons. On my short list due to many reviews here were the Ping G20, TM RBZ, and TM Burners. In the end I settled on the Burner 2.0 for two reasons. One, I have previous and positive experience with them. They're pretty popular so I've gotten to swing a few from other players bags and they've always left me jealous. Secondly is price as related to the G20 and RBZ with many reviews indicating the Burners having nearly the same performance. Being able to get yesteryear's club prices is just fine for me because let's face it... a 20+ handicapper is probably not going to notice significant different between those three clubs. So I went ahead and put together the bag found in my signature and when I get home will have them fitted. The whole bag below along with the bag itself and new pair of FootJoy Superlites came in just under $950. Man, I can't wait to get back home to swing these puppies.

About the only uncertainty in my purchases is the shafts. I got the Stiff shafts because I figured that even if they weren't stiff enough I would have still had to have them shafted with something even stiffer yet. That was one of the biggest improvements in my game last year - attending a Bridgestone fitting and testing out different drivers and learning to switch to high compression balls and an stiffer shaft.

Anyways, Hi guys. I'm sure I'll like it here. I have a feeling this forum will end up not only lowering my scorecard... but my bank account as well. :D

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, great intro Joey!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome, where at in ne Ohio? I'm from canton but living down in cincy now

Welcome to THP

Welcome to the forum, Joey. You've come to the right place. You're going to love it here.

I'm assuming you are in Afghanistan in the service of your country, and I thank you for that!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome, where at in ne Ohio? I'm from canton but living down in cincy now
Akron Area. My favorite Courses are Mayfair CC in Green and Sunny Hills in Tallmadge. I like Mayfair because it has lot of straight 285-315 par 4's... So I'm always trying to stick it on the green in one. 4/5 times though I slice it and end up hitting from the other fairway. Hey, it's still technically in the short stuff, right? haha. Sunny Hills is nothing too special, but my youngest brother works there so I pretty much golf for like $10/round. It costs me more in lost golf balls than green fees!

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP Joey, enjoy yourself here

:welcome:

Welcome to the Forum! From another Ohio guy!

Welcome!!

Welcome and enjoy. I grew up in that area and went to Kent State.

Stay safe over there and thanks for your service.

Welcome to Paradise! Hope the new clubs treat you well!

Welcome to THP!

Nice intro. Welcome to THP

Welcome. Thank you for your service. My brother is over in Afghanistan right now. Camp Bastain.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all. Just to clear something up, I'm not 'enlisted' in any the sevice. I'm just deployed over here as a civilian engineer supporting our forces. I would hate in any way to take any credit away from our fighting boys (and girls now too) in green over here. I'm just a nerd, hehe.

Back