Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
I have for 20 plus years been an interlock guy. I was messing around today trying to find my swing and switched to overlap. It feels incredibly weird but maybe that is what I need to find my swing again.

Mya’s anyone successfully switch their method or style of gripping the club? It honestly almost feels impossible. But I also switch to wearing glove for the first time. That felt weird too at first but I have gotten used to it I think.

I used to use baseball until I swapped to the vardon.

I won't change from here. Overlock felt AWFUL.

feels weird for sure. Feels loose, which again is weird because I think you end up with more fingers actually holding the club.. haha..

feels weird for sure. Feels loose, which again is weird because I think you end up with more fingers actually holding the club.. haha..
Interlock felt absolutely broken to me, which is funny the way you're talking.

Then again, the friction that goes on with my right ring finger and knuckle on my left pointer is... unfortunate.

Interlock felt absolutely broken to me, which is funny the way you're talking.

Then again, the friction that goes on with my right ring finger and knuckle on my left pointer is... unfortunate.

its just different. It you keep at it eventually becomes normal..

I've tried switching to overlock, vardon, and I always go back to interlock. it just works for me

I started with baseball grip, then interlock, when I tried playing 3 years ago, and stopped, it was arthritic. I fooled around, with overlap, and now it’s my grip. For me, less painful, and it works. Be patient, you may find you like it.

I changed from the 10 finger (baseball) grip to my version of the Vardon grip. This about 35 years ago.

The Vardon grip felt really strange for quite a while, but eventually it became comfortable.

I was fortunate I had the will power to stick with the new grip. It made me a better golfer.

I recently switched from overlap to interlock. It was an adjustment for sure but glad I did it.

I've tried overlap. I haven't succeeded, but I've never really tried long term. Partly because I find it less comfortable. I get more right pinky pain with it than I do with interlock. If there was a time for me to try again, it's probably now, because my hands are tighter end to end on the club then they've ever been, but it isn't actually a good time right now. And after almost 200 rounds this year, I think my interlock fingers are the only ones that don't hurt or have insane calluses, so I haven't felt a need. I don't have large hands, which I think might come into play more with overlap too.

Ok. I am doing it.. I am commuting to the change . Just to see what happens..

My first 20 years of playing golf was interlock and then about 5-7years ago I developed an issue with a finger and until it was diagnosed and treated I went two years having to play overlap and for me I got adjusted to it pretty easily. Although in my case it was either overlap or no golf.

Now that my finger is much better I’ve gone back to interlock just because it feels that I’m more connected to my grips. Good luck.

I used to use baseball until I swapped to the vardon.

I won't change from here. Overlock felt AWFUL.
What handicap did you get to using baseball grip if you don’t mind me asking? 😊

I have used them all. I really don't notice much difference between overlap and interlock. Now the baseball grip is a different story. That grip gives your hands a lot of control through the hitting area. That can be good and bad.

What handicap did you get to using baseball grip if you don’t mind me asking? 😊
Low singles if not scratch. I only changed because I was destroying my right hand pinky finger by the nail. Well, that among other reasons haha

Low singles if not scratch. I only changed because I was destroying my right hand pinky finger by the nail. Well, that among other reasons haha
Interesting thanks 😊.

I have for 20 plus years been an interlock guy. I was messing around today trying to find my swing and switched to overlap. It feels incredibly weird but maybe that is what I need to find my swing again.

Mya’s anyone successfully switch their method or style of gripping the club? It honestly almost feels impossible. But I also switch to wearing glove for the first time. That felt weird too at first but I have gotten used to it I think.

Golf gloves add a measure of counter balancing to the club. FJ softjoy weigh 26grams
Decreases SW by a few points. Might be better , one change at a time?

Last edited:
I can't recall where I read it, but supposedly wrist "flexibility" or "hinge" goes from least to most going from interlock to overlap to baseball type grip. Not that there seems to be a huge difference when I step through them.

I can't recall where I read it, but supposedly wrist "flexibility" or "hinge" goes from least to most going from interlock to overlap to baseball type grip. Not that there seems to be a huge difference when I step through them.

I have heard something along those lines as well. No idea if it is true or anecdotal..

I have been an interlock most of my life, I guess because that is how my Dad taught me. I have tried the over lap, but i always felt like i was going to drop the club or it was going to fly out of my hand

When I first started golfing, I was an interlock guy. I don't remember what made me change, but I do know I was playing like crap and was searching for anything to get back on the right track, and switched to overlap. I've tried holding clubs interlock now and I don't think I could go back.

As a senior golfer, I have a touch of arthritis in my hands and changed to the baseball grip. Works better for me. Once read that the interlocking grip is better for golfers with relatively small hands. Jack and Tiger used it.

Good Golfing ...

Back