Grip Size and Swing Speed

jmix18

I'm just happy to be here.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Does Grip size impact swing speed? If so - by how much?

I've been using MCC+4 Midsize grips for a while now but I just picked up a new shaft (Ventus Velocore Black 6s) for my driver and noticed the ball is traveling longer than the previous shaft. The only difference is the shaft (which is very well could be) and that the grip on the shaft is a standard MCC+4 sized grip.

So - Does Grip size have an impact on swing speed and thus ball flight and distance?

Per my recent experience, only if the grip size allows you to hold onto the club lighter or with less stress in the ol hands.

I got into a new Ventus Red shaft for my driver and have also picked up some yardage and have less errant shots on slight mishits... I tried a Golf Pride MCC Reg (first choice), Midsize MCC, Winn DriTac Midsize & reg, and have ended back in Reg MCC. i just like the friction from the mcc's cord on the left hand and use them throughout the set... drytac was much softer but I seemed to grip em harder, offsetting supposed advantage ... hands/fingers aren't real large so regs work fine for me.. Yardage distances were not significantly different over course of two weeks play experimenting... easier to square clubhead with the regs for me... have put my grip size thoughts to bed

Per my recent experience, only if the grip size allows you to hold onto the club lighter or with less stress in the ol hands.

I got into a new Ventus Red shaft for my driver and have also picked up some yardage and have less errant shots on slight mishits... I tried a Golf Pride MCC Reg (first choice), Midsize MCC, Winn DriTac Midsize & reg, and have ended back in Reg MCC. i just like the friction from the mcc's cord on the left hand and use them throughout the set... drytac was much softer but I seemed to grip em harder, offsetting supposed advantage ... hands/fingers aren't real large so regs work fine for me.. Yardage distances were not significantly different over course of two weeks play experimenting... easier to square clubhead with the regs for me... have put my grip size thoughts to bed
Thank you for the response. It makes sense to me. May be time to take a look at the regular sized grips for me then.

Haven't looked for any videos on this question... but there's probably something out there on Youtube somewhere, cause folks have to justify using/having their flight monitors to answer all questions !

I suspect the distance difference is more due to shaft than grip. I have experimented with different size and style grips in past few months only thing I found was getting a more comfortable fit allowed me more control, more consistent contact for straighter shots. Las time out I changed the driver from 60g flex A shaft to a 45g A flex (both rated for High Launch) but noticed significant increase in launch angle & carry distance with the lower weight shaft. Probably increased my swing speed slightly but haven't compared them on the launch monitor yet.

There's 2 components here and one is more likely than the other:
- A shaft change where different stiffness profiles can provide better strike reproduction for your swing (centerness, degree of face angle, angle of attack, etc.) would also affect ball and launch characteristics is probably where the distance came from (optimization).
- A change in grip COULD produce better length but it's less likely from a direct swing speed perspective. Most folks would see little to no change unless they were generally uncomfortable/more comfortable with a grip, for example, an increase in grip pressure can affect path and face angle. Something to note is that as grip pressure increases the less likely the average golfer will be able to wrist hinge on their takeaway and then, at impact, produce the proper face angle and deloft the club (applies more to clubs that aren't driver).

In short, maybe, but you most likely won't be able to just swing faster unless it's a comfort level thing. I don't swing any faster with Tour Velvet BCT standards vs MCC midsize +4 but strike consistency is better with the larger grip.

Back