TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
What is thee advantage or dis advantage of having a grip weight less or more than whats you have on the club now?
Replacing a grip with one that weighs more- may throw off the swing weight in total of the club or club head?
Replacing a grip with one that weighs less - what does that do?
Or the grips I have are 52g do you find a replacement grip that is close within a gram or two?

Can you help me decipher the information above and what it means?
Any information helps and is appreciated!

Is this about your jumbos?

A heavier grip with lighten the swing weight and increase total weight. It's different than going to a heavier shaft or something in terms of balance point. It's more counter-balance like.
A lighter grip will increase swing weight, alter balance, and decrease total weight.
If you like the swingweight you're at, then yeah, you'd probably try to find something pretty close. They're fairly close across manufacturers based on size. Change size though, and you tend to change weight quickly.

Some people care about swingweight changes and some don't. Some people really notice and some don't. There's a ton of different opinions, most of which ultimately just think your clubs should be pretty consistent at whatever swing weight you go with. There are people that feel strongly about not going over or under certain total weights, too.

any change in grip may change the swing weight, however what you lose in SW by a heavier grip can be negated by the appropriate addition of club head weight. OTOH, you probably wouldn't be able to discern any difference. Other factors such as moving the balance/kick point could have an adverse effect. What you do not want to do is something that is irreversible such shortening the shaft (using shaft extenders "might" tend to negate the change-addition of overall shaft weight not-with-standing). You could place weights on the grip end temporarily to see what the effect is. Bottom line: "If it ain't broke-don't try and fixit".

i have 52g
i want to go to a 47-50g
is there going to be that big of a difference or none at all really?

52 down to 47g = 1 SWP = no difference.
No worth worrying about especially if you are doing the whole set.

Is this about your jumbos?

A heavier grip with lighten the swing weight and increase total weight. It's different than going to a heavier shaft or something in terms of balance point. It's more counter-balance like.
A lighter grip will increase swing weight, alter balance, and decrease total weight.
If you like the swingweight you're at, then yeah, you'd probably try to find something pretty close. They're fairly close across manufacturers based on size. Change size though, and you tend to change weight quickly.

Some people care about swingweight changes and some don't. Some people really notice and some don't. There's a ton of different opinions, most of which ultimately just think your clubs should be pretty consistent at whatever swing weight you go with. There are people that feel strongly about not going over or under certain total weights, too.

yes, this is about the jumbos, ive narrowed it down to these four-
winn dri tac 50g
winn dri tac lite 49g
winn excel 47g
winn dri tac wrap 50g

my current grips are golf pride tour velvet at 52g

What is thee advantage or dis advantage of having a grip weight less or more than whats you have on the club now?
Replacing a grip with one that weighs more- may throw off the swing weight in total of the club or club head?
Replacing a grip with one that weighs less - what does that do?
Or the grips I have are 52g do you find a replacement grip that is close within a gram or two?

Can you help me decipher the information above and what it means?
Any information helps and is appreciated!

A heavier grip weight shifts the balance towards the butt end of the club.............head feels lighter.

A lighter grip does the opposite.

Also, the diameter of some grips regardless of weight will have a affect on club head feel because you have more/less hand and fingers contact with the grip and this affects the overall feel and sensitivity. So, it's not just about grip weight.

The right grip can make a world of difference, but it's sort of trial and error.

Last edited:
A heavier grip weight shifts the balance towards the butt end of the club.............head feels lighter.

A lighter grip does the opposite.

The right grip can make a world of difference, but it's sort of trial and error.
i like thee idea of shifting 5g's more towards the head, im leaning towards the excel even if it makes a difference or not..

i like thee idea of shifting 5g's more towards the head, im leaning towards the excel even if it makes a difference or not..

I thought I liked a heavier head feel when I came back to the game a few months ago because I liked heavy all my life. But my body is changing with age and I am finding that a slightly lighter head weight feels and works better a little better for me.

I am playing with various shafts, weights, grips, and lengths every day out in my shop. I am the modern version of Frankenstein with what I have going on out there every night. It's a lot of fun for me.

Back