Groove sharpener or new wedges?

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Pondering some new wedges for next spring. I have a few on the short list to try. Wondering if groove sharpeners even work? So many questions...

The answer is always new wedges. I hear the Cobra MIMs are pretty studly.

The answer is always new wedges. I hear the Cobra MIMs are pretty studly.
This is kind of my thought.....but also curious about groove sharpening. The Cobras are on the short list.

Sounds like a loaded question to me. New wedges. Groove sharpeners can work but you better know what you are doing. IMO it is just best to replace wedges every two years. I have 100 rounds on mine and the 50 and 58PM grind show the most wear, the 54 is still in great shape but that is from lack of use.

New wedges! Plus, groove sharpeners can make your clubs illegal

Honestly I am using various 6-10 year old Vokeys and they work so well right now not changing. Maybe will look into sharpening if could do ensure done legal before discarding.

Other than looking visually worn out, how does an amateur/novice ball striker even know if their grooves are worn out?

As for the OP's question, new wedges are the way to go.

Also, is there still that new rule requirement on grooves for amateurs that's supposed to go into effect is a few years? If so, old groover will be non conforming, so there's no need to sharpen them.

Last edited:
new wedges. aint nobody got time to mess with groove sharpeners.

Back