Grounding The Club Before The Takeaway

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Ever since the Hover thread was started I've been wondering about why I see most professional golfers ground their club before starting their golf swing. If sure there is a solid reason for it, I just can't figure out what it is. The only pro I can think of at the moment who doesn't ground his club before starting his swing is Jason Dufner. I'm sure there are many others, but in watching the PGA tournaments lately seems like many of the pros ground their clubs first.

They all pretty much ground the club at address. But people like Matt Kuchar hover the club right before the takeaway. Even the great Jack Nicklaus hovered the club. (y)

I do it to relax the pressure of my hands and forearms. the longer I hover, the more tense I become...

They all pretty much ground the club at address. But people like Matt Kuchar hover the club right before the takeaway. Even the great Jack Nicklaus hovered the club. (y)

Now that you mention it I do remember the Golden Bear hovering his clubs and in his tutorial videos.

I 've watched most of the pros since the early 60's. Not only did some of them hover, but many of them had swings that if you did not know they were playing on the PGA Tour you might think they were Muni hacks. It does not really matter how you hold the club either hover or not. What matters is how the club strikes the ball flush.

Grounding the club throws me off so much. I always hover.

I've tried to hover but it just messes me up.

I would think most ground the club so their mind knows where the bottom of the swing needs to be.

Even with the driver, you want the bottom of the swing roughly at or before the ball. The tour average for AOA with driver is -1.3*. If you want to hit up more you can ground the driver an inch or so behind the ball to preset your low point which would hopefully ensure the clubs is moving upward at contact.

I ground the club. Feels more natural to me.

I'm just lazy and don't want to hold the club off the ground that long.

I always start my backswing with the club grounded but have never given it any thought. A hover seems uncomfortable.

It's all about staying relaxed, you don't want tension in your arms before the swing.
Tension = not good. :cool:

I'm with the tensioners. I don't use it to gauge anything, so it doesn't really matter where I do it. I could see some value in finding a position to return the club to though. I just do it to relax my hands and regrip before I swing.

i do it to relax my hands....otherwise i get stiffed and tense before a swing. i ground the club and wiggle my fingers a little.

I played 18 this afternoon at an indoor simulator and went in with the purpose not to ground my club any more. Big improvement in ball striking for me. I shot 49+42=91. I still hit behind the ball on occasion but not nearly as many times when I was grounding my clubs. I will continue to work on this. Some good came out of my question, so thanks to all you THPers. ;) (y)

I definitely have my club on the ground before starting the back swing, never really thought about it before just feels right for my swing

I started hovering my driver this last season & seen improvement, so now this thread has me thinking I may have to try it with my irons as well.:unsure::unsure:

I keep it grounded. I’d get to ancy hovering it and probably mess up my take away somehow.

I've always grounded the club.. Feels awkward to hover

I ground my driver and putter so why not my irons?

Back