Three things in common--Both can be expensive to get into , you are always wanting to upgrade your equipment and both takes practice to get better.

Alcohol
Tobacco
and
Firearms
i mean, who wouldn’t want to work there?

I used to get funny looks from the conservative guys I golf with when I tell them I'm pro LGBT until I tell them it stands for....Liquor, Guns, Bacon and Tata's:p

I don't have thousands of 9mm rounds, but I do have thousands of bullets… mail day!

I'm debating getting something in .45 Auto though since Large Pistol Primers seem to at least appear periodically unlike the SPP :(

Are ya reloadin' yet? ;)

Friday is my shooting day with friends and I am the only reloader amongst the four of us. One of the guys had some extra 700x powder he gave me for free that he got from somebody else. It's an old metal can that holds probably 8 lb of powder, in which there was 4 lbs left. It looks like it was manufactured in the late eighteen hundreds but I've loaded several different loads with it and it shoots great. Not only is loaded ammo hard to find, but components for reloading are now very difficult to find and buy. Thankfully I have a good supply downstairs that I can milk out for another year or two.

I saw the title to this thread and wondered if there had been some confrontation on the course that involved guns, LOL. That sounds like a fun day.

I saw the title to this thread and wondered if there had been some confrontation on the course that involved guns, LOL. That sounds like a fun day.
That would be a bad day for sure..

I can drive tacks at 25-30 ft. with my Remington R1 Enhanced shooting freehand, it's never missed a beat after a couple hundred break-in rounds, and the fit and finish are as good as anything I own.

I figure that you're shooting a pistol, since you are quoting a range in feet! As far as I'm concerned "tack driving" doesn't begin before 100 yards and beyond!

A chronograph measures the bullet velocity at the muzzle. All reloading books publish loads, with barrel length and muzzle velocity. All chambers are slightly different, which is why you always start at 10% below maximum listed powder charge and work up, slowly. You test fire each incremental batch as you work towards maximum load. When you achieve bullet velocity listed for the maximum load published in the manual for that bullet.... STOP!!! you are at maximum load in your gun, for that bullet, for the specified powder and primer/cases. Even though, you may not have gotten to the published maximum grains of powder. When you hit max velocity, you are at max pressure.

That is why a chronograph is essential for safety. Don't ever load to maximum powder charge straight away and go fire those rounds. This is how people get hurt.

I load 9 rifle cartridges... 223, 243 Win, 270 WSM, 7 STW, 348 Win, .30-06, 300 WSM, 375 H&H and 416 Rigby.... and four handgun cartridges.... 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 38 Special and 45 ACP.

Good post! There are many amateur re-loaders who think all they have to do is stuff the max load of the fastest burning powder they can find in the case, then stuff the lightest bullet they can find into it, and they will have ONE HOT LOAD!. Oh, it will be hot, but it won't be accurate!

Before we sold the Pain in the Butte Ranch in Durango several years ago to go full-time in our DP motor coach, I sold off my safe and a number of safe queens that sat in the safe unused to good friends with first right of refusal and kept the best, most practical, select dozen representing each category that I consider the best of what they are for my purposes. I only have two more I want to add to that group and they are available in the used market (I don't care much for most of the new, current industry production).

I also passed my reloading setup to other friends after loading up 1k-2k each of 45 ACP, 9mm, 380ACP, 223, 45 Colt, 38+p and 357 magnum as a hedge against times like these when I cannot find new stock to use first. I also kept several cases of 12ga, some 32ACP and a lot of 22 rimfire (LR and WRM) and have all that in secure storage except what I want while we are traveling.

I worked for a while in the firearms and ammunition industry and learned some good lessons. Guns and ammo will get you through times of no money better than times with money but no guns and ammo available will. Things do not look like they will get any better for the foreseeable future, I am afraid...

Last edited:
So, we've officially reached peak panic.

Someone at work that I've taken shooting offered me waaaaay too much got some 9mm and 5.56.

Another friend made a ridiculous offer for an AR pistol.

:(

So, we've officially reached peak panic.

Someone at work that I've taken shooting offered me waaaaay too much got some 9mm and 5.56.

Another friend made a ridiculous offer for an AR pistol.

:(
Did you sell?

I have a couple pistols I could probably sell, maybe now is a good time to put them on the market ?

Several of the guys at the club know I'm a retired LEO and I've been approached by several first time buyers asking if I know where they can get a gun "cheap".
I have to tell them "travel east through Utopia and when you get to the unicorn turn left, the shop will be on the right side of the road".
Never saw so much demand.

I'm seriously considering a safe reduction. Prices are nuts. One LGS usually has 3-500 in stock at any point in time and are a top 10 on Gun Broker. They might have 50 in stock, and all oddball stuff.

I'm seriously considering a safe reduction. Prices are nuts. One LGS usually has 3-500 in stock at any point in time and are a top 10 on Gun Broker. They might have 50 in stock, and all oddball stuff.

Meanwhile I'm expanding :) Added this to the collection yesterday
IMG_0522.jpeg62259545508__452F4894-8EA5-4D3F-9C43-0274BCD44E3D.jpeg62259546494__F97253CB-908E-4A45-9603-504D2B39AF5B.jpeg

One of the guys had some extra 700x powder he gave me for free that he got from somebody else. It's an old metal can that holds probably 8 lb of powder, in which there was 4 lbs left. It looks like it was manufactured in the late eighteen hundreds but I've loaded several different loads with it and it shoots great.
That's a risk I was never willing to take. Once a container is opened and used by someone else, there's no knowing what might have been mixed in with it. Not everyone is conscientious about the one-can-at-a-time-on-the-bench rule, and accidents happen. Would hate to find out the hard way that someone accidently dumped some slow burner like 4350 in there, too.

I trust the guy who gave me the powder, as he is my friend and a very intelligent person. Besides I have already used it to load several batches of ammo and shot some of them with perfect results. Yes, if you aren't careful this could be disastrous if the powder came from unscrupulous individuals, but that is not the case here.

One thing one should always do is match the correct Ammo to the handgun.. Obviously Lee Van Cleef did not do this.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is what I load for

Attachments

• E138CD6F-F37C-4743-A96A-29ACFBFCD4F1.jpeg
    E138CD6F-F37C-4743-A96A-29ACFBFCD4F1.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18
Several of the guys at the club know I'm a retired LEO and I've been approached by several first time buyers asking if I know where they can get a gun "cheap".
I have to tell them "travel east through Utopia and when you get to the unicorn turn left, the shop will be on the right side of the road".
Never saw so much demand.

We have outdoor stores here in Ohio called Fin, Feather, Fur. They're kind of a mini Cabela's here. I think they have 5 or 6 stores around the state. When the pandemic set in hard, and paper good were disappearing from shelves, guns and ammo were also disappearing the the local FFF. They tried to limit traffic in the store, stationing a cop at the door with a counter, to 50 people. That didn't work, because people weren't shopping normally. They didn't distribute themselves throughout the store. They immediately head to the gun counter at the back of store. So, the owner closed up for a few months until things died down.

Sales are still brisk, but the traffic is manageable!

Back