My retirement gift. FNX45 Tactical 45
Found a good supply at my local gun store!
That's an awesome looking pistol, I just love the FDE color (flat dark earth). How does this model compare to the 1911 gov model pistols?

Popular hearing protection are the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. Here is an upgrade, if you happen to own a pair, that provides a better noise reduction rating (NRR) to them:

So while I'm avid pistol shooter and do love the hell out of my AR I've had never actually fired a shot over 50 yards because anything with an outdoor range near me is all private.

Well, this last weekend I changed that and with my new rifle I took a long range class and man, did I have fun! We started by checking our velocities and then doing a tall target test at 100 yards to calibrate clicks.
IMG_1620.jpg

After that it we worked up our shooting solution to get on paper at 600 and these were my three shots.
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-04-18 11.jpg

Then it was on to punching steel and breaking sporting clays at the same distance. Finally dialed it back and shot smaller steel righty and lefty at 500 and 300. Happy to say I only missed 3 shots all day and that was on the sporting clays.
IMG_1632.jpg

Took out my great grandfather’s .300 Savage over the weekend. Probably had not been shot in 50 years. Original scope was still dead nuts. Such a fun gun to shoot and loved being able to shoot a family heirloom.

Took out my great grandfather’s .300 Savage over the weekend. Probably had not been shot in 50 years. Original scope was still dead nuts. Such a fun gun to shoot and loved being able to shoot a family heirloom.
That is such a cool thing!!!

My first rifle was a Savage 243. Very accurate especially with hand-loaded ammunition. It was not uncommon to have groups with 3 of 4 shots touching. The rifle is more accurate than I'll ever be as a shooter.

Before I ever brought it out hunting, I took it to the range several times. One day at the range I heard a couple of guys talking and one of them referred to the 243 as a "woman's gun". My buddy - who got me into shooting and reloading - laughed at the comment. On my first morning of hunting whitetail, the largest buck I've ever shot came in to within 100 yards and I dropped it where it stood. When that same friend came over to look at the buck the first thing he said was "not bad for a woman's gun". Of the dozen or so deer taken with that rifle, all but a few never took a step.

The rifle is still in my cabinet but now belongs to my son who lives downstate and leaves it up here.

Exactly! It's shot placement! I guess some guys can't get their rifles figured out, so they just shoot for the "big middle". You don't need anything more than a 100gr .243 to kill any whitetail in North America. Can't use my .243 here in Ohio, but I can in PA. Here in Ohio we can use "pistol caliber" rifles with straight walled cartridges.

And speaking of ammo, there was quite a bit of controversy over a certain load a few years back. I don't shoot one of those rifles, so I can't remember what it was. But it became all the rage for a while, untile hunters got a look at what it did to a deer! On the offside, it looked like a grenade went off inside that deer where the bullet exited! Yes, they dropped in their tracks, but there was an incredible amount of waste! It fell out of favor pretty fast.

I've got an inherited Remington 81 in 300 Savage. It's awesome.

Very cool. We have two Savage Model 99s. Story is that my great grandfather bought the .250 in the 1950s and hated it. Then bought the .300, added a scope and it became his “go to” for the rest of his life.

Those old rifles are so good! I'm lucky I bought my .243 before Remington went with cheap stampings!

So, the abomination is complete, and zero'd. It's a stainless Contender action with an action/trigger job. SSK barrel, threaded, in 30-30, LaRue AR stock for adjustable LOP, Aimpoint Pro, and a Gemtech Tracker silencer.

My son is left eye dominant and has issues with a regular scope right now. This checks all the boxes for the under 75 yard deer hunting I do on our land.

IMG_20210904_164257393_HDR.jpg

Still waiting for my Hellcat to be added to the Approved list for MA. Such stupid rules!!!

I've really been getting into NRL22 and NRL22X lately and about a week ago I did a Rimefire Academy class with Rifles Only. It was a pretty good class and it's a trip shooting long range with a .22LR - My longest hits were on a steel target at 505 yards and we did some fun positional work.

mgjPB0T.jpg

OG11whR.jpg

I've really been getting into NRL22 and NRL22X lately and about a week ago I did a Rimefire Academy class with Rifles Only. It was a pretty good class and it's a trip shooting long range with a .22LR - My longest hits were on a steel target at 505 yards and we did some fun positional work.

mgjPB0T.jpg

OG11whR.jpg
505 yards with a rimfire 22 is impressive!!

It’s been a 1 1/2 yr since I bought a new gun. I need to step up my game LOL

Same here. Not anymore. Haven’t bought a club since spring, haven’t even really golfed, lol. Did pick up this H&K Beauty recently.

A05CE6B1-3E0F-44FB-BBD4-FAE4DC8CBAC4.jpeg

Got it mainly to teach my lady friend how to shoot. We’ll go from Peep, to Red Dot, to Low Variable Power Optic on it. Will be fun while not intimidating. Cheap to train with too. Then if I ever need to hand her a real one she’ll know how it works. Plus we’re going to have some fun clearing her gardens of critters with this, 🤣.

Same here. Not anymore. Haven’t bought a club since spring, haven’t even really golfed, lol. Did pick up this H&K Beauty recently.

View attachment 9029605

Got it mainly to teach my lady friend how to shoot. We’ll go from Peep, to Red Dot, to Low Variable Power Optic on it. Will be fun while not intimidating. Cheap to train with too. Then if I ever need to hand her a real one she’ll know how it works. Plus we’re going to have some fun clearing her gardens of critters with this, 🤣.
Needs more silencer ;)

Needs more silencer ;)

Nah. I have a pistol range in my basement, so naturally since it’s been raining for 3000 straight hours, I popped off a few. As long as I stay subsonic It doesn’t even hurt inside without ears on. I’m already deaf so I’m happy to check these things out?

What didya say??? 🤣

Nah. I have a pistol range in my basement, so naturally since it’s been raining for 3000 straight hours, I popped off a few. As long as I stay subsonic It doesn’t even hurt inside without ears on. I’m already deaf so I’m happy to check these things out?

What didya say??? 🤣
Watch your lead levels.

Watch your lead levels.

Thanks. It’s nothing but a bullet trap to test something on when I don’t have better options. I’ve probably fired less than 100 rounds down there, maybe half that?

Yeah, just be careful. The lead that gets you is from the primers if you don't have good ventilation. ;)

Well I’m happy to say that I’ve fired 50 more, 🤣. It was just too fun. This was offhand with 50 shots (yes there are 50 holes) from 15 yards. Not for pure accuracy but to see how fast I could hit. I’ll take it. I was averaging about .14 splits on it, but no kick so just keep on trucking as long as you see the sights and aren’t distracted by hot brass. 5E2578F0-6086-41D2-B9C6-223EF30BC1B8.jpeg

yes it shoots low right. The target was flipped for a few shots. Have to get to at least 25 yards to sight in though and the peeps were likely for today only anyways.

View attachment 9029605

THATS DOWN RIGHT PURTY

Back