Any reloaders in here? Anyone still shooting competitions?

I shoot IDPA and USPSA twice a month during the golf off season.

I thought about reloading but I’m not competitive enough for it to matter. I don’t think reloading 9mm or 5.56 is cost effective either. However, if MD adopts California style ridiculousness I’ll start reloading. 8ish more years and I’m moving out from behind the iron curtain.

Last edited:
I shoot IDPA and USPSA twice a month during the golf off season.

I thought about reloading but I’m not competitive enough for it to matter. I don’t think reloading 9mm or 5.56 is cost effective either. However, if MD adopts California style ridiculousness I’ll start reloading. 8ish more years and I’m moving out from behind the iron curtain.

We're dealing with that crap up here in WA. The gals in my shooting group are trying to get me to do ASI comps, but it's been too rainy and cold right now. I watched a couple on Youtube and they looked like fun. I'll wait for it to dry out a little. I need to get a comp holster rig for my PPQ to do that.

We're dealing with that crap up here in WA. The gals in my shooting group are trying to get me to do ASI comps, but it's been too rainy and cold right now. I watched a couple on Youtube and they looked like fun. I'll wait for it to dry out a little. I need to get a comp holster rig for my PPQ to do that.

It’s a lot of fun. ASI is very similar to IDPA. Don’t go crazy buying stuff before you try out competing. Any regular holster will do.

I have a Dillon 550b and it takes time to pay back the initial investment but you can load better loads for significantly less. One of the biggest cost savings is if you already have spent brass you can tumble. I knew I wanted to reload so I collected spent brass for 8 years before I purchased my reloader. I now have brass to last me a long, long time. I haven't shot a competition in a long time as now most of my time is having fun with my kids who aren't old enough to shoot yet. I do want to get back out for some fun 3-gun at some point.

I don't believe guns and golf go together, but separately.

I'm really curious what percentage of people I see on course in this area are armed. I bet it would surprise me. It would never even occur to me to carry while playing, but I bet the reasons others here would mention would range anywhere from wildlife to public place to crazies out there to I never take it off. I bet it's around one in eight. I think I even mentioned that in a thread where someone was talking about an on course altercation. You never know who's carrying.

You never know who's carrying.

True but everyone should be carrying.

I imagine it would be uncomfortable to swing with it on the hip or appendix. Normally, I carry a P365 and don't even know its on. However, when I swing and have my phone in my pocket it annoys me. To each is own. I leave it in the car because if I ask someone to grab me a ball and they go in the wrong pocket I don't want to have an issue with some snowflake we might be partnered with.

I imagine it would be uncomfortable to swing with it on the hip or appendix. Normally, I carry a P365 and don't even know its on. However, when I swing and have my phone in my pocket it annoys me. To each is own. I leave it in the car because if I ask someone to grab me a ball and they go in the wrong pocket I don't want to have an issue with some snowflake we might be partnered with.
I don't ever carry anymore. Ever since having young children I just don't have the desire. I've never needed one on the golf course. For me, it's always a last resort anyways. I'd rather hand over my watch /wallet/etc to de-escalate.. Those things are easily replaceable. Human life is not.

I'm really curious what percentage of people I see on course in this area are armed. I bet it would surprise me. It would never even occur to me to carry while playing, but I bet the reasons others here would mention would range anywhere from wildlife to public place to crazies out there to I never take it off. I bet it's around one in eight. I think I even mentioned that in a thread where someone was talking about an on course altercation. You never know who's carrying.
I will never tell, it's called concealed for a reason.

It depends on what you are carrying. I have a Browning 1911 in .380 that I have forgotten to take off & played a whole round with & don't believe it messed with my swing at all.

I don't ever carry anymore. Ever since having young children I just don't have the desire. I've never needed one on the golf course. For me, it's always a last resort anyways. I'd rather hand over my watch /wallet/etc to de-escalate.. Those things are easily replaceable. Human life is not.

We can have this argument all day long. You are assuming they are going to give you mercy for handing them something.

I got held up at a gas station. 2 guys. They took my wallet then turned to another customer and shot and killed them. Emptied the till and ran off. Made zero sense but ever since then I carry, train, and carry some more.

Assuming anything will just make you dead.

Ever since I had little kids reinforces my decision to carry and they will learn to shoot ASAP. No one is saving your kids but you.

We can have this argument all day long. You are assuming they are going to give you mercy for handing them something.

I got held up at a gas station. 2 guys. They took my wallet then turned to another customer and shot and killed them. Emptied the till and ran off. Made zero sense but ever since then I carry, train, and carry some more.

Ever since I had little kids reinforces my decision to carry and they will learn to shoot ASAP. No one is saving your kids but you.

I can understand that completely. If I had witnessed something like that I would likely feel the exact same way. For my families safety I moved us out in the country and I do keep loaded firearms readily available. But I do choose to not frequent the more dangerous areas of town especially late at night. My 8 year old daughter and 5 year old son already shoot archery and have been taught firearm safely. When they are ready there is already a single shot 22 training rifle in my safe for each of them. I will ensure that each of them are capable of defending themselves and hope they have a love of shooting like I do.

But I do choose to not frequent the more dangerous areas of town especially late at night.

Happened to me in a wealthy well travelled area of Virginia at 1pm on Sunday afternoon.

Not to get on a soapbox but I highly recommend everyone to find a reputable training facility that has instructors who were former police officers. A simulator is also ideal to put you in real life situations. It can happen anywhere at anytime to anyone.

My parents were victims of a break in. Luckily they weren’t home but they live in a ridiculously wealthy double gated community with guards at the front gate. They had a false sense of security with the not going to happen to me attitude.

I used to be the biggest anti-gunner there ever was until that day. Now I teach gun safety to scouts at my club and volunteer for local 2A organizations. Practice and train as much as possible.

Keep your powder dry and stay safe out there.

Last edited:
Happened to me in a wealthy well travelled area of Virginia at 1pm on Sunday afternoon.

Not to get on a soapbox but I highly recommend everyone to find a reputable training facility that has instructors who were former police officers. A simulator is also ideal to put you in real life situations. It can happen anywhere at anytime to anyone.

My parents were victims of a break in. Luckily they weren’t home but they live in a ridiculously wealthy double gated community with guards at the front gate. They had a false sense of security with the not going to happen to me attitude.

I used to be the biggest anti-gunner there ever was until that day. Not I teach gun safety to scouts at my club and volunteer for local 2A organizations.

Keep your powder dry.
Are you still in Virginia? If so, we should go shooting sometime!

Are you still in Virginia? If so, we should go shooting sometime!

No, moved to MD but made the trek to Richmond to show support with the 22k others that were there on lobby day. It was pretty amazing how many people were there. We are lucky if we can get a hundred in MD. I don’t think voter turnout will be low in VA this Nov. seems like people are learning a hard lesson.

That day happened to me in Old Town Alexandria about 20 years ago. I’m guessing you are much further out from the beltway.

Also, I used to frequent the range off 495 that became the first TopGolf. The name of the town escapes me. It was close to Springfield.

No, moved to MD but made the trek to Richmond to show support with the 22k others that were there on lobby day. It was pretty amazing how many people were there. We are lucky if we can get a hundred in MD. I don’t think voter turnout will be low in VA this Nov. seems like people are learning a hard lesson.

That day happened to me in Old Town Alexandria about 20 years ago. I’m guessing you are much further out from the beltway.

Also, I used to frequent the range off 495 that became the first TopGolf. The name of the town escapes me. It was close to Springfield.
That's awesome. I'm in Hanover (just northwest of Richmond). I know where you are talking about in northern VA. I hear they are going to close down that Top Golf location.

I do have an Ruger LCP in my pocket holster when playing golf. My regular playing partners shoot also ,but I have played with plenty of other guys and no one ever knew I was carrying.

Just picked up a EMP4 Concealed Carry Contour in 9mm today.
1st 9mm 1911 for me. Up here in the people’s republic of NJ it’s almost impossible to get a CCP. Hoping to make the move to PA soon.

Over Christmas I got a new 9mm that I haven't even shot yet. What's wrong with me?

Last year there was a spent bullet on the ground right beside the rear tire of my cart, looked like a wadcutter

I do have an Ruger LCP in my pocket holster when playing golf. My regular playing partners shoot also ,but I have played with plenty of other guys and no one ever knew I was carrying.

I had a Sig P938 in a pocket holster but never could get the hang of drawing it out quickly or cleanly. Better than nothing but I gave up on it and put the holster in my box of shame.

1st 9mm 1911 for me. Up here in the people’s republic of NJ it’s almost impossible to get a CCP. Hoping to make the move to PA soon.

NJ!!!

Take time out of listening to whatever you normally do and listen to Anthony Colandro. Guns for Hire radio podcast. Great NJ 2A information.

Last year there was a spent bullet on the ground right beside the rear tire of my cart, looked like a wadcutter

Me too. New AR pistol still sitting in the safe. When the weather breaks it’s difficult to decide which type of range to go to. Golf usually wins.

Come join us, it is wonderful. When I moved to PA from PRNJ, getting my LTC was a real PITA. It took almost 25 minutes.

Me too. New AR pistol still sitting in the safe. When the weather breaks it’s difficult to decide which type of range to go to. Golf usually wins.
I just realized something. Did you say you conceal carry in Maryland? I have friends who live in MD and claim it's near impossible to get the carry permit. Are they missing something / exaggerating??

Back