Hacker-sourcing My 2017 Masters Trip

jrs362

Reaction score
Handicap
Long story short, I've gotten my hands on 1, and could possibly make it 2 tickets to Tuesday's practice round in 2017. I've booked a hotel room in Lexington, SC for Monday and Tuesday nights. Beyond that, I have no details set in stone. That's where I turn to THP to help plan the trip. Some key info below...

• Trip begins and ends in Vermont.
  • Can leave as early as 4/1.
  • Must be home before 4/10.
  • Previously mentioned, hotel room booked for Monday and Tuesday night in Lexington, SC.

Some things I've considered/need to decide:

• Go alone or find a companion? Alone allows me to do my own thing. Traveling with someone else likely rules out any spur of the moment change of plans. If I go alone, I can always meet new people wherever I end up and being alone has never been a problem for me. In fact, a lot of time, I prefer it.
  • Drive or fly? Driving is cheaper and allows a bit more flexibility on the way there and back, but the trip is almost 16 hours. Flying is faster, but more expensive and limits any potential for changing plans on the fly.
  • Golf trip? I wouldn't be heart-broken to play some golf on the trip but don't have a travel cover for my clubs. I'd feel more comfortable driving if I'm bringing my clubs, otherwise I'd need to rent a left-handed set. This being a golf forum, I can sense there'll be more push for this option.
  • Catch some sports games? I'm a sports nut. I'll watch any of the major sports even if my favorite team isn't playing. A majority of my experiences are in Boston since I'm a Boston sports fan. I would love to be able to plan the trip around being able to hit either an NHL, NBA, or MLB (Opening day is 4/2) game or two in either NYC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, or DC. This would likely only be if I drove. A possibility that I've been considering is on 4/5, heading north very early to catch a Nationals game in the afternoon (game time still TBD) and then hang out in DC for the day and catch the Capitals game that night or jump back in the car and get up to Baltimore for an Orioles game.

What am I not considering? Is there anything else worth stopping to see/do along the way? I'm not a museum/art/history type of person so those types of things wouldn't be my go-to sight seeing. Budget is not strict, but I would like to keep it reasonable. What does THP have to offer? I've included an agenda below for what I'm currently thinking. Right now I'm leaning towards skipping the sight-seeing and flying down and back with no extra curricular fun. My mind can be easily changed however.

My Current Agenda (Revised 12/29)

Sun, April 2
Drive from Vermont, leaving late in the evening.

Mon, April 3
Baseball game in DC or Baltimore in the afternoon or golf somewhere in VA or further south.
Continue driving to SC.
Spend night in Lexington, SC.

Tue, April 4
All day at ANGC - Tuesday Practice Round.
Spend night in Lexington, SC.

Wed, April 5

Leave SC heading north.
Baseball and/or hockey game in DC area.

Thu, April 6
Arrive home.

Last edited:
I personally would extend the trip as long as possible and drive. While driving plan out a route that allows you to stop and play some different courses. Many of us on here would love to tee it up with a fellow THPer that is traveling through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would drive. This sounds like a perfect road trip opportunity, playing golf courses up and back as you please and watching golf at ANGC. I also like the idea of watching some baseball along the way...golf in the a.m. and baseball by night. Man, what a trip.

I was also chosen for 4 tickets to Tuesdays practice round. I am taking a buddy, his dad and friend. I live in California, so I am flying into Washington DC and we are renting a van. My friend lives in Virginia, so the plan is to drive and play as we go. I am hoping to play in Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina. We are looking at Palmetto Dunes for South Carolina. I would advise to sneak in some play if you can. If you had any interest in playing, we might be able to meet up if interested.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Just a little FYI, any course near or around Augusta/Atlanta typically have significant rate increases during Masters week for the very reason you speak of, people wanting to play golf on their way to/from ANGC. So just know you'll be paying a premium that week. However, some actually have specials that might include swag along with a tee time. I believe Cherokee Run does this but you'd have to check websites to see who also does this!

Otherwise, I think a golf stop for 18 should be mandatory at least somewhere on your trip, I know when I went to the Masters in 2014, it gave me the golf itch so bad!

I know if I'm ever lucky enough to go back I'd love another chance to eat at Rhinehart's Oysters

I have 2 tickets to the Monday practice round and I live in Arkansas and I plan on driving.

Plan on taking my dad on this trip. He has had a rough 18 months (1 colon surgery & 4 bladder cancer surgeries). This is my way of doing something special for him.

Long story short, I've gotten my hands on 1, and could possibly make it 2 tickets to Tuesday's practice round in 2017. I've booked a hotel room in Lexington, SC for Monday and Tuesday nights. Beyond that, I have no details set in stone. That's where I turn to THP to help plan the trip. Some key info below...

Good for you!

I'm going as one of time4tim's +1's. For our rounds of golf, we will have room for one more if you'd like to join you can. I think we are trying to minimize our time actually in/around Augusta the day we aren't at the tournament.

Between your two choices, I'd drive if you have the time off. At least one way I'd go through Norfolk, VA and across the bay bridge/tunnel. That is one impressive structure! You could stop and play at Bay Creek. I've been to games at Nationals Park, Orioles Park and the Hurricane's ice rink and had a good time at all. Enjoy!

That's going to be a great trip either way you go but I'd drive for the obvious reasons you mentioned.

If you want to play around Augusta, check this place out: http://www.palmettogolfclub.net/masters-week.html

They only open it up to the public during Masters week every year. It won't be cheap, but it's worth it. Alister Mackenzie did work on the design of the course, he also did Augusta National.

A few years ago on the way down we did stop for golf in VA. We stopped there and played since it was far enough away that we'd avoid the "Masters week" price increases and it was far enough away that we wouldn't be dealing with people who were staying in the area to attend the Masters.

Driving is actually starting to sound a bit better. I'd leave late Sunday night to avoid the heaviest traffic in the big cities. I could then try for a game Monday afternoon about 1/2 way there or get a bit further and play 18. Golfing on the way down sounds better than trying to squeeze in a 3-4 hr baseball game knowing I'd still be looking at another 8 hours of driving afterward. The trip back would still offer the possibility of catching a game if I golf on the way down.

I'm going to be following this thread. Got word this morning that there might be a chance of Monday practice round tickets. Would probably fly out the Friday before and fly back the Tuesday after. Fingers crossed!!

I'm still flip-flopping on my plans. I'll be submitting my time off request at work for Monday - Thursday.

I'm getting the itch to drive and golf on Monday on the way down...somewhere. Then Masters on Tuesday and on Wednesday traveling up to DC/Baltimore for a Nationals, Capitals, or Orioles game that evening. All three teams play at night that day so no luck on the day/night doubleheader. It also works out as it's a 7-8 hour drive from South Carolina so I'd have plenty of time to make the drive in time for the game. My lean now is towards Baltimore since I can grab a cheap hotel outside Camden Yards for the night and I've always wanted to see a game there.

I'm going to be following this thread. Got word this morning that there might be a chance of Monday practice round tickets. Would probably fly out the Friday before and fly back the Tuesday after. Fingers crossed!!

I'm going to be there Tuesday. Heading out the Friday before and staying until Saturday the 8th.

I'm going to be there Tuesday. Heading out the Friday before and staying until Saturday the 8th.

That's awesome Tim, truly a bucket list trip. I'm still waiting to get word but I remain optimistic.

Got word tonight. It's on!

Im in NC and would love to tee it up if you are in my area. Give me a shout

Got word tonight. It's on!

Congrats! I am meeting up with Livegolf in D.C on Friday the 31st. Supposed to play a round or two in the Virginia area, then heading hopefully to Tobacco Road for a Monday round. Then off towards Augusta for The Master's on Tuesday. Then the plan is a couple of days in Myrtle Beach and then hopefully a couple of rounds back in the Raleigh area before I fly out on Saturday, April 8th. Can't wait.

Good news! My solo trip now has a co-pilot. My father, who was actually selected for the tickets, originally didn't want to go. He went a couple years ago when I got the tickets but had since decided the amount of walking and up/down hills was too tough for him so he didn't want to go.

I purposely never committed to asking anyone else to make the trip knowing that he may eventually change his mind. I asked him again this past weekend and he gave the "I don't know; I'll think about it." responses but about an hour later I got, "I think I will go with you. I'll put in for the week off on Monday. I'd like to think the idea of stopping at Camden Yards in Baltimore on the way back played a role in him changing his mind. We're both huge baseball fans and have never been there so it's a good opportunity for us.

The start of our trip is still up in the air but it will likely be leaving VT on Sunday, golf somewhere Monday, Masters Tuesday, Orioles Wednesday, back to VT on Thursday.

We've got different options for the trip down. A few years ago I started an "I-95 Golf Recommendations" thread. Time to revisit those recommendations, as well as any along I-85, I-81, or I-77. Let's hear your favorites. We hit The Crossings in VA the last time down.

Currently sitting in a hotel in VA, about 5 hours out from the next hotel in SC. Will likely get up and on the road tomorrow and then possibly find 18 to play at the last minute. Gotta find a denim-accepting course for Dad - he forgot to pack other pants.

Back