Hacksaw Blade For Cutting Graphite Shafts

Browns7213

Reaction score
Handicap
A neighbor asked if I could cut down an old set of clubs for her grandson that is just starting out. There are some graphite shafts that need to be cut down and I want to be sure I get the right blade for my hack saw. Is this the correct blade that will reduce splintering?

Thanks!

4eb954fc-472d-4f9d-ace4-a423de32a994_1.10381ff31cbe436b831fca3c00e98d0c.jpeg

A neighbor asked if I could cut down an old set of clubs for her grandson that is just starting out. There are some graphite shafts that need to be cut down and I want to be sure I get the right blade for my hack saw. Is this the correct blade that will reduce splintering?

Thanks!

View attachment 32811
To reduce splintering the risk of splintering, the real trick is to place some clear packing tape around the area you will be putting and cut right thru the tape.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Definitely wrap the area being cut in tape. I use masking tape and never have experienced any splintering issues.

Thanks I'm aware of the taping method to limit splintering, but I also read using a toothless blade like a grit or rod blade would be the best for making this type of cut.

I've always used a really high tooth count blade and wrapped the shaft in tape and go slow and smooth.

I've always used a really high tooth count blade and wrapped the shaft in tape and go slow and smooth.

what he said. Lots of teeth and smooth. never heard or used a blade as the OP is referring to...

what he said. Lots of teeth and smooth. never heard or used a blade as the OP is referring to...

tungsten rod saw blade... used for cutting graphite fishing rods as well as other 360 degree cutting applications (drywall etc)

Abrasive cutoff wheen on the 4-1/2” angle grinder is my reccomendation.

Okay now I'm more confused than when I posted. :banghead: Everything I've read says don't use a blade with any teeth!

Okay now I'm more confused than when I posted. :banghead: Everything I've read says don't use a blade with any teeth!

Interesting haha. I forgot about a cutting wheel/dremmel. Not sure what disc you’d need but that would be a decent option as well I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend a hacksaw or any saw blade with teeth. While it can be done, it's not worth the risk.

Before we used a chop saw, we used the GolfMechanix Handheld Cutter, and it works flawlessly. I believe it's just a pipe cutter that can also be found in a hardware store. As long as the blade is sharp you'll have no problem whatsoever. It can be found here

Back