Half The Weight - Twice The Energy

MonroeBob1955

Reaction score
Handicap
I guess I should preface that I’m 65 and virtually ride all the time. My club has stayed open through this self isolation period. I also noticed many of my compadres breaking out their stand bags and walking the course, in lieu of riding a sanitized golf cart.
I break out my stand bag, load it up, and head out to walk nine. Thinking I still have the energy I had when I was 40, all 14 clubs, dozen balls, tees, gloves, and rain gear went into the bag. BIG MISTAKE!! Was completely wore out lugging that 30 pound plus bag after nine. Damn I’m out of shape.
So yesterday, 8 clubs (D, 5W, 4H, 6, 8, PW, SW, P), two balls, few tees, and glove. Dang, that bag was light. Easily walked the nine. Could have done 18. To top it off, shot a very respectful 4 over.
Lessons learned I don’t need to carry all this crap, and I may not be better off with 14 clubs in the bag. In yesteryear, like many we began with beginner sets, 1W, 3W, 5W, 3, 5, 7, 9, PW, P. We learned to play with those clubs, getting creative with between club shots, punches, fades, 3/4 shots.
I was smiling all round yesterday, enjoying the pleasant walk, and attempting to hits shots I used to hit (or try to hit) years ago. It was super fun.
I may well be foregoing the carts and full bag here for awhile. Maybe get me one of those 2.5 lb bags.
Enjoy all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats awesome, Good for you! I know how you feel. I walked 18 last week and I really need to get in shape!

@MonroeBob1955 , great job on your part. I walked/carried a short bag for a few years. Found it to alot of fun, while having to occassionally "invent" a shot when I didn't have the right club in the small bag.

I still walk most of my rounds at this point, but prefer to trolley a 14 club bag. An uphill march can be annoying at times, pushing the trolley, but those downhill runs where I just let the trolley go on it's own make up for it.

I do have a push cart, although it’s an older 3wheel model with narrow tires. Fine in dry conditions but our course is quite wet/soft/muddy right now.

I’m 40, sadly I only have a staff bag at this point in my life..

0D3F7B79-CFF3-41A5-9EFE-A732D8718BAB.jpeg

I don't carry all 14, and there's probably another 1 or 2 I could manage without...

I am all about a lighter carry bag. Titleist has a 2.8 lb bag and Sun Mountain has a 2.5. I have an older SM Swift which weights 2.5 lbs and it is much easier to carry than the 4 lb bag I have. I can certainly play with 10 clubs or so and it is a much easier carry. Also make sure you don't have too many golf balls. I try to make sure I don't have more than 6 balls in my bag when I am walking.

I guess I should preface that I’m 65 and virtually ride all the time. My club has stayed open through this self isolation period. I also noticed many of my compadres breaking out their stand bags and walking the course, in lieu of riding a sanitized golf cart.
I break out my stand bag, load it up, and head out to walk nine. Thinking I still have the energy I had when I was 40, all 14 clubs, dozen balls, tees, gloves, and rain gear went into the bag. BIG MISTAKE!! Was completely wore out lugging that 30 pound plus bag after nine. Damn I’m out of shape.
So yesterday, 8 clubs (D, 5W, 4H, 6, 8, PW, SW, P), two balls, few tees, and glove. Dang, that bag was light. Easily walked the nine. Could have done 18. To top it off, shot a very respectful 4 over.
Lessons learned I don’t need to carry all this crap, and I may not be better off with 14 clubs in the bag. In yesteryear, like many we began with beginner sets, 1W, 3W, 5W, 3, 5, 7, 9, PW, P. We learned to play with those clubs, getting creative with between club shots, punches, fades, 3/4 shots.
I was smiling all round yesterday, enjoying the pleasant walk, and attempting to hits shots I used to hit (or try to hit) years ago. It was super fun.
I may well be foregoing the carts and full bag here for awhile. Maybe get me one of those 2.5 lb bags.
Enjoy all!

I was still carrying into my mid sixties and went to a push cart because of the constant strain on my back. I agree carrying is more like playing golf than riding in a cart, but if you play a lot that might cause you trouble in a few years. But enough sour grades from me I am glad you found a way to play, walk and carry you bag I much prefer that way of playing the game. Good luck in you endeavor.

I think players of all skill levels, from beginner to Tour pro, would average the same score whether playing with a bag of 14 clubs or 9 clubs.

Been using a push cart since I was 65, walking 18 3 times a week. Only a couple of holes that are problems, so I take them slow.

I feel your pain. I’ve always liked to walk but played 9 a couple weeks ago walking and carrying, which never bothered me prior. Hole 3 is an uphill par 4, it dang near kicked my ass. The back nine is much more hilly so I decided right then and there that 9 was going to be all.

I was fine the rest of the nine as it was mostly flat. My biggest issue (outside of being fat, but that never really slowed me much prior) is only having 50-60% lung capacity due to a bad car accident last fall.

If I walk and carry again I’ll probably take steps to lighten the bag as it likely weighed 25-30#. Likely didn’t need the 3 dozen golf balls I had extra and while I drank the half gallon of water I had, I might not have been as thirsty if I wasn’t hauling so much, catch 22 type thing.

Or I’ll just get a push/pull cart. Probably the best option, I wouldn’t have had near the problems then. Hole 3 would have merely stunk not felt like the Bataan Death March.

Smart thinking right there!
Lighten the load, lower the score!

Enjoy all!

I was just reading in Golf Digest about how much carrying affects our game and not for the better. I have a cheap pull cart from Target and it never tires me, so I can play my best and with all 14 clubs

I am all about a lighter carry bag. Titleist has a 2.8 lb bag and Sun Mountain has a 2.5. I have an older SM Swift which weights 2.5 lbs and it is much easier to carry than the 4 lb bag I have. I can certainly play with 10 clubs or so and it is a much easier carry. Also make sure you don't have too many golf balls. I try to make sure I don't have more than 6 balls in my bag when I am walking.

I have the Sun Mountain 2.5. I like to walk and carry. Most times I carry between 9-11 clubs.

I will carry my bag for 9 holes but will push it for 18. Glad you enjoyed and got great results by becoming a shot maker!

I had back problems when I was younger and don't ever want to deal with that world of pain again. If I walk, it's with a push cart 100% of the time, no carrying. My home course (where I play most of my golf) doesn't allow walking, and when we play other courses the guys I usually play with want to take carts, so I don't get to walk often. If I walked more I would definitely invest in a lighter bag even for the push cart.

I have a SunMountain 3.5 stand bag and it works like a charm. What has made it easier for me is that I know I have lighter shafts - I have graphite shafts in all clubs except for the putter and the lob wedge.

I never carried, bad shoulder, and it’s either cold or carry stuff-No brainer. I had a push cart but riding was luxurious when younger.
molder now, would like to walk but
EVERYTHING IS CLOSED
I would love to get out there

I have never played a round with a push cart so take this with a grain of salt. I generally like carrying my clubs. It is good exercise and I like being able to walk wherever I want without going around things.

That said I have considered getting a push cart. My concern is that I mentally see a push cart as admitting I am getting old (I will be 54 next month). I understand the point that it is easier on your back and will likely mean you feel fresher at the end of the round.

Back