Handicap Index for local charity tournaments.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
I think I already know the answer, yet still figured I would ask. Do you have to have a "real" handicap index to enter the charity fundraiser tournaments, or is that decided locally? I am referring to small time local stuff around the area. I only have the online GRINT thing and never really gotten a real handicap yet.

If it is something that is a scramble, then no you do not. The only way you might is if it was set up as individual entries and then they would place golfers together to try and get equal teams. But most charity and fundraiser tournaments you get a team together on your own. If it has something on the form asking for a handicap, you can just put down whatever you want, it won't matter as long as it is a scramble.

I've played a lot of charity fundraiser tournaments, and none of them have ever been flighted by handicap. Almost all of them are scrambles, and the winner is usually the biggest liar - whichever group has big enough cojones to walk in and post a -22 score with a straight face. :LOL:

Those kind of tournaments are usually more about raising money for the cause than they are about actual competition. They often have gimmicks like you can buy mulligans, or lengths of string you can apply for putts, or they'll have a couple very good golfers stationed on certain holes where they'll hit your drive for you for a donation, etc.

The best way to know is to read the flyer or website or whatever for the tournament - they should clearly state what the tournament rules are, and if they're using handicaps they'll say so and ask for them on the entry form.

Any that I’ve played were scrambles and it really doesn’t matter. Especially when you’re teeing off with a tennis racket or putting with a ping pong ball...

It’s mostly about raising funds and being out with your mates.

Agree with everyone else, the actual handicap generally takes a backseat to the amount of money that they can raise for the charity. Having said that, there are always people who just absolutely....have....to....win at any costs even at a charity event. They're easy to spot, then collect their prize with a completely straight face after collecting 48 points playing off 18.

Back