Handicap Tee box vs Strokes

brians

2023 GRANDADDY X (marks the spot)
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This came up briefly last week in a discussion.
Should there be an option in a golf match to trade the holes handicap strokes for an upgrade in the teebox department at start of match?

Playing from blue tees player A is getting a “pop” from player “B”. Instead of the stroke would you rather be able to move up to the white tees?

Is there any downside?

Last edited:
Would being able to decide hole by hole after seeing marker placements affect your decision?

I see this a friendly game between two people. As such, one can do anything they both agree on.

But the true handicapping...is based on a set of predefined tees. and calculating pops. It's not calculated on the fly. One could choose tees that reduce the total number of pops, but that may be very hard as one can only move so far back or front.

In the above stated situation....there is potential for a lot more "gamesmanship" IMO. as one could use their knowledge as to why they have a particular handicap to maneuver into a more favorable situation for the match.

I see this a friendly game between two people. As such, one can do anything they both agree on.

But the true handicapping...is based on a set of predefined tees. and calculating pops. It's not calculated on the fly. One could choose tees that reduce the total number of pops, but that may be very hard as one can only move so far back or front.

In the above stated situation....there is potential for a lot more "gamesmanship" IMO. as one could use their knowledge as to why they have a particular handicap to maneuver into a more favorable situation for the match.
Exactly! I know my handicap is based off of whatever tees I’m playing and my score in the system.
But I know I’m a short hitter off the tee so it’s ALWAYS beneficial to move up for me.
But a big hitter that is wild will want the extra stroke I would imagine.
The strategy would be a blast.

I don't think it would be worth it to give up a pop just to move up a set of tee boxes. That being said, I would gladly let my opponent move up a set of tees if they gave up the pop for that hole.

Ohhhhhh this sounds kind of fun!! I don't think it would be as beneficial as a pop but it would be a pretty cool way to change stuff up. Especially on par 3s and such!

Exactly! I know my handicap is based off of whatever tees I’m playing and my score in the system.
But I know I’m a short hitter off the tee so it’s ALWAYS beneficial to move up for me.
But a big hitter that is wild will want the extra stroke I would imagine.
The strategy would be a blast.
If a set of tee boxes is played. then the course handicap will take that into account and a "fair" match can be had with players using different tee boxes. BUT hole by hole specific is not the way the system is designed towork.

If a set of tee boxes is played. then the course handicap will take that into account and a "fair" match can be had with players using different tee boxes. BUT hole by hole specific is not the way the system is designed towork.
Yep. Real tourney no bueno.
But It would make a fun afternoon round with friends a little more interesting.

I play with an older guy that has a significant disadvantage in distance but refuses to move up a tee box. He says “I’m not that old.” Well he is 67. He doesn’t keep a handicap and has a great short game and putting. He doesn’t care to ask for 10 shots 😂. I think next time I’m going to scoot back a box and eliminate the shots to see what difference it makes.

Back