stewarthans45

Reaction score
Handicap
Last year I used an online calculator to figure my handicap from 10 scorecards and came up with a 22. Over the winter I did quite a bit of work and in the 6 rounds ive played so far this year I am playing better with the greatest improvement being in my short game. So i took my 6 score cards from this season so far and punch them in and it gave me an 11.6. I do feel like I am certainly playing better than last year but am not sure about my handicap being cut in half. So far Ive shot a 96, 94, 92 twice, an 88 and a 85 and have played 4 different courses. Im just not sure this number is right and am wondering if I should wait to calculate mid summer when I can mix in more scorecards from different courses and see what I am shooting around July.

I'm not entirely sure on GHIN but the system is probably only using your lowest 2 or 3 scores out of those 6 you posted.
Remember handicap is NOT your scoring average, rather it is your scoring potential and thus only uses your best scores. Once you have posted 20 scores it will always discard your 10 worst in your last 20 and use your 10 best to formulate your handicap.

Oob golf can calculate your handicap fairly accurately. It's unofficial so it can't be used in tournaments, but it can give you a great idea as to where you're at

I'm not entirely sure on GHIN but the system is probably only using your lowest 2 or 3 scores out of those 6 you posted.
Remember handicap is NOT your scoring average, rather it is your scoring potential and thus only uses your best scores. Once you have posted 20 scores it will always discard your 10 worst in your last 20 and use your 10 best to formulate your handicap.

I'd say it's only using the lowest score after only six rounds being inputted. That would be the 85 (most likely).

When the OP only used ten scores to figure his handicap last year, it probably only used maybe three of the scores.

I was noticing the same thing the other day. I had created a fresh account and just added the current season's games. When it got to 6 games it gassed 5 of them and just used the best round and told me I was an 11.6

When I get it up to 10 it will use 3 or 5 and when you get it up to 20 it will use the best 10.

I used oobgolf and enjoyed it but i recently started using the thegrint.com. They have an app and everything.

In congu, for initial handicap, it uses best individual hole scores across three rounds and the most you can score on a hole is a double.

My first three were all over a hundred so was expecting a 28 until someone explained it to me. My 100+ rounds were made up of several 7s and 8s (that only count as double), but also a couple of pars over the three rounds, which had the effect of impacting my potential (as the other guys have said) and I got a hcap of 24 on a par 70.
Maybe something similar in the calculation? Just guessing tho.

In congu, for initial handicap, it uses best individual hole scores across three rounds and the most you can score on a hole is a double.

My first three were all over a hundred so was expecting a 28 until someone explained it to me. My 100+ rounds were made up of several 7s and 8s (that only count as double), but also a couple of pars over the three rounds, which had the effect of impacting my potential (as the other guys have said) and I got a hcap of 24 on a par 70.
Maybe something similar in the calculation? Just guessing tho.

I am not disputing this with you JJJ, but are you sure about this?

Only asking as I have got the 3 cards used for my handicap calculation and using an online service it gave me a 17 (the club gave me 14 based on the conditions for 2 of the rounds which had an effect on the score)

But if I take the best individual hole scores for those three rounds, I would have shot a 75 (+3) - 13 pars, 1 birdie and 4 bogeys

You could well be right Doc, this was just how it was explained to me when I queried how three scores over a hundred could get me a 24.

I think I know how my morning will be spent now..... off to SGU website :)

Would be curious to see what you find out.....it is something I have never looked at as I have never had an official handicap before now

Edit - I thought that it took the total of your your three scores (with possibly a limit on how many over par you could shoot), subtracted par from them and then took the average of the difference?

This would work out for me as my rounds were 81 (+9), 95(+23), 91(+19) which gives a total difference of 51 compared to par, divide by 3 gives you 17

Seems I was misinformed :D

When reviewing the submitted cards, any score of more than 2 over Par for men and 3 over Par for ladies at any hole must be amended to 2 [3] over Par respectively. After these adjustments have been made an Exact Handicap shall,subject to the provisions of Clause 6.3(c),be allotted equivalent to which ever is the lower of:
the number of strokes by which the best of the submitted 18-hole rounds differs from the Standard Scratch Score, or -
the aggregate number of strokes by which the best two of the submitted 9-hole rounds differs from the Designated Nine-Hole Course Standard ScratchScore.

So it would seem it was the fact I had blowups causing the high scores that affected my initial hcap. 8s and 9s becoming 6s etc.

I was wondering, but you have got your reason now - my post above was slightly incorrect as I was using par rather than the SSS for the final calculation but it was near enough :D

Back