Hanks' Morgan Cup Callaway Fitting

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
Being fit for the right equipment is important for anyone's game and as a part of being a Callaway staffer for the Morgan Cup 2.0, I was fortunate enough to have a fitting done at 1 of 16 Callaway Perfomace Centers in the country. I went to the King of Prussia (KOP) location in Golf By Design. Buck was awesome to work with (http://www.golfbydesignkop.com/) . Before I get to the equipment reveals, I want to touch on the process of how me and my Master Callaway fitter 'Buck' arrived at those decisions. Please excuse the long post

I was asked to bring my current driver (PING G20 stock S flex) and current 6i (Cleveland CG16 w/ KBS Tour R+ shaft) so we could take some baseline numbers before the fitting started. After some warm up swings and base readings Buck and I talked about my game, shots I like to play, desired results, and any preferences I had. I told him I was his piece of clay and to mold me as he saw fit with whatever equipment worked best for me according to the numbers. He said that were were going to focus on accuracy, side spin, back spin, ball flight, efficiency/smash factor, and distance. He said he doesn't like to get caught up in distance #'s because he'd rather see someone shorter and accurate rather than long and in trouble. Hmmm. He also explained to me Callaway's thinking around efficiency/smash factor. He said Callaway likes to see their Pros hitting in the 95-97% area and he likes to see 'better amateurs' hit in the 92-93% range which will help minimize accuracy issues and maximize distance. Armed with that info and setting a goal to be in the lower 90's for efficiency for all clubs we jumped right into the process.

Irons- Irons were first up since there were a lot, and I mean a lot, of combinations to sift through. There was every single iron from Callway's current line up with every single kind of shaft you could stick in them. Based on my baseline numbers from the CG16 we ruled out me hitting the Razr X Muscleback, Razr X Forged, and Razr X HL. First I hit the Razr X Tours. As much as I liked the look of this I didn't particularly like the feel and never got comfortable hitting it so we immediately took that off the table. Next I hit the Razr X. I really liked the look and feel of this and this was accurate to boot. I had good distance and great dispersion with this and felt like this was as close to point and shoot as I've hit in a while. 'Crazy consistent' according to Buck. I moved on to the Razr X Black and found slightly more distance (2-3yds more) yet not as accurate but the big difference is the black PVD finish which really helps frame the ball up nicely and noticeably reduced the glare of all the lights in the fitting studio. Finally I hit the Razr XF. Not only was this one long but it was accurate as all get out too. 'Lethal' is what Buck called it. The feeling was unlike any iron I've hit yet I never felt out of control with it. We decided to do try different shaft combos in the Razr X and Razr XF's and let the numbers tell the tale. Long story long we tried every combo there was and the best combo for me in the Razr X was a PX 6.0 shaft in R flex and the Razr XF combo was a TT GS95 R300 in R flex. Here are the average numbers (remember, 6i only):

Cleveland CG16 distance-167yds (157 carry) head speed- 80mph, ball speed- 106mph Smash factor- 88%
Razr X distance-170yds (161 carry) head speed- 82mph, ball speed- 109mph Smash factor- 90%
Razr XF distance-174yds (165 carry) head speed- 84mph, ball speed- 114mph Smash factor- 92%

Winner- Razr XF. Best feeling club I hit. Great distance without sacrificing accuracy. Everything about this iron and the shaft paried with it just clicked for me. Specs are +1" length, GS95 R300 shafts, 2* up, Winn Dri-Tac grips

Hybrids- Much faster process to decide on which hybrids to go with since there's only the Razr X, Razr XL, and Razr XF. First up was the Razr X and while this was accurate I did not like the harsher feel of it and felt I was losing some distance. Fortunately Buck agreed with me so we immediately took it off the table. Next was the Razr XF hybrid which felt like a cannon to me. I wish I had thought to bring my Mashie for comparison because the feeling was pretty much the same but the face felt 1000x hotter and had a great 'crack' to it. While I'm not a fan of the offset which will take some getting used to, every shot with the XF was on the target line or just slightly off it. My SS is borderline R and S flex and after hitting both options the numbers say I'm more accurate with the R than I am with the S. Buck said I'd be nuts not to put 2 of them in the bag and actually wants me to consider putting a 5h in my bag. Hmmmm...never thought of that before so I need to check some numbers on this possibility. Since I hit the XF so well we didn't even bother with the XL. Here are the average numbers (4h only):

Razr X distance-187yds (179 carry) Smash factor- 90%
Razr XF distance-192yds (185 carry) Smash factor- 93%

Winner- Razr XF. Long, straight, high but penetrating ball flight, accurate, and great looking. Such a good hybrid that took me by surprise a bit. Specs are std length, R flex graphite shafts, Winn Dri-Tac grips

<water break>

Fairways- Another quick decision process for me. The Razr X Black doesn't arrive to the CPC until next week so I was limited to hitting the Razr Fit and Razr Hawk. the Razr Fit sets up a lot like my current FW (Diablo Octane Tour) with a slightly larger profile but not too much. The sound is the same Callaway 'crack' that I like in their woods and this was no exception. The face feels 'springy' and has some good forgiveness out on the toe and on the bottom of the face which are my 2 most consistent misses. Distance loss? Not much which is another plus. The Razr Hawk was almost identical in every way to the Fit however the Fit has that adjustability capability which is a nice insurance policy to have. Sold! Well, kind of. Specs are 15*, S flex shafts, Winn Dri-Tac grips

Winner- Razr Fit 3w. For now anyway. I think I'd like to hit the Razr X Black when it's available but in Buck's estimation he thinks it's just going to be a hotter version of the Octane which he didn't care for so we'll see. He likes the idea of cutting the 3w down to a 'weak 3w or strong 4w' length for more control and accuracy which could help me make up some distance on a short drive on a par 5 or cut a short par 4 in half more consistently.

Razr Fit distance-220yds (211 carry) Smash factor- 90%
Razr Hawk distance-214yds (207 carry) Smash factor- 89%

Driver- At this point I'm gassed, hurting and have easily hit over 150ish balls. Looking back I wish I had started with driver instead of irons but now I know. This is the only part of the fitting where I told Buck that I'd like to stick with X club and just want to fine tune it but I did qualify it with that I've tested it and have been hitting with it prior to the fitting. He has the Razr Fit in his bag and loves it so he was ok with this. Unfortunately I did not have a consistent driver swing and everything was for the most part blocked, sliced, or hooked. We weren't able to really get into a lot of shaft options as Buck didn't want me to try and fix my swing during a fitting which while disappointing made sense to me. We were able to capture some data with a few shafts and the options that seemed to 'work' for me the best before we stopped for the night was the Mitsubishi Diamana Blue (63 S) and the Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li (60 S). Specs are 9.5*, S flex, 45.5"

PING G20 Distance-246yds (240 carry), Swing speed- 102mph, ball speed-152, launch angle- 15*, backspin- 3450 Smash factor- 88%

Razr Fit Distance-253yds (245 carry), Swing speed- 100mph, ball speed-150, launch angle- 14*, backspin- 3525 Smash factor- 87%

'Winner'- Razr Fit. Buck said he'd love to get me back on the monitor when I'm fresh so he can really see which shaft would work for me but thinks I'd be ok with playing the stock option too. I'm definitely going to go with the Razr Fit but the shaft option is still up in the air so it looks like I'll have to go back for a shaft fitting only at some point.

Sorry everyone, no putters were in the CPC and wedges have already been figured out. Buck liked the idea of going 48, 52, 56 for my wedges which he thinks will fill in nicely behind the 44* PW of the XF's.

The Callaway Performance Center was a great help for me to further decide on what to put in the bag for the Morgan Cup 2.0 but it also brought some new questions for me to answer...namely do I put 3 hybrids in the bag or 2? I'm looking forward to answering this question in the next few months! Sorry again for the lengthy post but if you've made it this far without falling asleep and have any questions for me let me know. Pics will be up later tonight as I forgot my laptop today

Last edited by a moderator:
this is awesome! it's too cool that you actually get to get fit at the CPC for your MC2 sponsored clubs. definitely jealous.
great report Hanks.

nice write up hanks! The whole process sound exhausting but well worth it. I think you'll really like those XF's and the XF hybrids!

Really excellent job with the write up, Hanks.

Great write up Hanks, sounds like a great fitting and I can't wait to do one. I'm a little confused about the PX 6.0 in R flex though, 5.0 maybe? Either way I'm glad you wrote and this and thanks again.

When I go, you would then recommend hitting driver first and then irons?

Very informative and detailed write up Hanks! Very cool that you had the opportunity go through this and KNOW that you are playing the right clubs for your game.

Love the description of the XF. It really sounds it's going to be a winner for you.

This write up is just unbelievable. Great write up Hanks.

Not even part of the MC, but loved the read. Not to mention makes me excited to go through a fitting someday.

Awesome experience! I'm definitely calling the Chicago Fitting Studio today! Sounds like an awesome process, and it sounds like you are ready to tear it up at the MC!

Good sh*t hanks!!!

I would man. Warm up with your iron then do driver. I couldn't consistently square the club head to save my life when I was doing the driver fitting. that's definitely user error for the most part but hitting almost 2 large buckets before doing the driver wasn't helping either

Great write up Hanks, sounds like a great fitting and I can't wait to do one. I'm a little confused about the PX 6.0 in R flex though, 5.0 maybe? Either way I'm glad you wrote and this and thanks again.

When I go, you would then recommend hitting driver first and then irons?

Wow Hanks that was chalked full of great info. That fitting sounds like it was an amazing and very eye opening experience. I like those numbers you're putting up with everything too. Did you hit the Razr X Black driver at all?

Great write up. I find it interesting you were fitted for R-flex with an 82mph SS. I'm at 85 and was fitted for DG S300s. Of course there are other factors besides SS. Do you have a slower tempo?

Very nice Hanks! Great write up with tons of info. One thing I miss is the sound of Callaway woods. They sound nice when you hit a good shot.

I enjoyed reading that. I really never knew what a real fitting entitled. I hope you like what you end up with!

Great stuff Hanks, thats gonna be one sharp looking bag

Great write up Hanks. Awesome info here.

Some great info you got there Hanks. I'm really liking your numbers well done dude.

Awesome write up Hanks. I'm gassed and my back hurts just from reading that. Love your choices or winners I should say.

Beast mode from tapatalk

Hanks was that PX shaft a 5.0 or 6.0? In your write up it says 6.0 in Reg Flex

Great write up! Glad you found some clubs that work as well for you as those irons promise to. I'll be looking forward to the update on your driver shaft fitting.

Great write Hanks, really makes me excited for my CPC fitting on Thursday!

I will definately hit Drivers first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up Hanks! I loved it. The CPC is definitely an awesome experience. Glad you found some options that worked. There are quite a few pros with going 5h but I don't think I'll ever do it again.

Great write up Hanks! I loved it. The CPC is definitely an awesome experience. Glad you found some options that worked. There are quite a few pros with going 5h but I don't think I'll ever do it again.

do they make a tour 5 hybrid?

Back