ANNOUNCEMENT Live Chat: Ethan Ganot with Callaway Golf

What was your most fun marketing run you did at MillerCoors, as well as Callaway?

@EthanatorCG What is your background and what was your first marketing job out of College?

@EthanatorCG Callaway has their name in everything golf related (i.e. soft goods vs hard goods). As far as the little things go like foam balls, ball markers, divot tools, go is it just a "We'll brand it for brand recognition" or is there an active thought process in display setups required for retailers for your smaller products?

Second question. I'm looking at a push cart and have seen a couple of the Callaway branded ones. What would you compare them to and in your opinion is the motorized one really worth the extra money?

@EthanatorCG What is the biggest challenge you face when marketing your product?

Hi everyone! I am looking forward to this chat tomorrow. In advance I will say that if I cannot get to all questions during the 60-90 minute window that I have tomorrow in between meetings, I will jump back in after meetings are done to do my best to answer everything!

For those that don't know me, some quick background -- I grew up in NYC, started playing golf when I was in college (growing up in the city, I actually thought you needed to be a member of a golf club to be able to play golf, ha!), and have been in love with the game ever since.

I've lived in NY, PA, Durham NC, Milwaukee WI, Chicago IL, and now just outside San Diego CA in the town of Encinitas. My role at Callaway is within Marketing, where I manage our Advertising [tv commercials, print ads, etc.] and our Media spend [meaning: what partners do we advertise with and how do we do fun interesting things with them.]. Yes, it's as great as you'd think it would be.

Various jobs I've had -- worked in a bagel store, an electronics store, a Day Camp with 50 kids 3-8 years old, as a roofer, some boring consulting jobs, in sales strategy and marketing at MillerCoors, and now for almost 7(!) years I have been at Callaway.

Outside of golf (ha, like there's anything else!) - I enjoy music (including poorly playing the drums), movies, most sports, drinking beer, and tending to my backyard passionfruit vines. The crowning achievement of my social distancing time thus far was sewing a button onto a pair of pants, a project I had put off for at least 6 months.

See you all tomorrow, thank you to @JB and @GolferGal for the opportunity!
@EthanatorCG What is your background and what was your first marketing job out of College?

Here ya go Nate, he answered some of that here.

When did you realize that internet golfers are the perfect subject for a blockbuster nationwide advertising campaign?

@EthanatorCG Callaway has been a R&D leader in the industry, especially using AI in the drivers, irons. Will we see the AI technology soon in putters and wedges to help hackers like us out on our pulls and pushes?

If Ethan was in a competitive speed eating contest what food would he choose? AND. who would he want his opponent to be and NOT to be...cause that is my question..

I can tell you for certain I would NOT eat cannoli. I learned from experience that that ends POORLY and painfully.
I would eat tortellini. I love pasta and you don't have to chew much and you don't have to worry about scratching your mouth or brain freeze.
Opponent - Maverick McNealy, who told us he is the slowest eater in the world.
Non-opponent - Tyler Shean, Callaway Marketing team. He views food as a necessity and a fuel and just shovels it in and then gets back to being a man of action. An accidental speed eater.

Living in both NY and PA, what is the better food, NY Pizza slice or Phila cheesesteak?

Thanks for joining us Ethan, we appreciate it!

1. What’s the biggest challenge for Callaway Marketing during this Covid-19 shut down?

2. What was your most memorable project that you’ve worked on while at Callaway?

3. Any aspirations to move beyond just passionfruit in your backyard garden? If I was in California I’d be growing all sorts of fruit!

@EthanatorCG Who is the funniest member of the ZooCrew.
Also, best ribs ever? Go!

@EthanatorCG forgot one! ERC was a great marketing campaign for Callaway and a really good product. Can we expect any updates to the ball soon or was it considered more of a one-off?

I can tell you for certain I would NOT eat cannoli. I learned from experience that that ends POORLY and painfully.
I would eat tortellini. I love pasta and you don't have to chew much and you don't have to worry about scratching your mouth or brain freeze.
Opponent - Maverick McNealy, who told us he is the slowest eater in the world.
Non-opponent - Tyler Shean, Callaway Marketing team. He views food as a necessity and a fuel and just shovels it in and then gets back to being a man of action. An accidental speed eater.
Follow up. would this need to be eaten in Tupperware? gotta stay authentic

@EthanatorCG Who do you feel is Callaway's biggest competitor?

Question for Ethan - which way are cookies best served, with a warm glass of milk or with a cold glass of milk?

So @EthanatorCG which Pro Golfer would you most like to beat on the Peloton and who among the zoo crew is the peloton leader.

It’s 95 and humid. I haven’t had a drink since the front 9 and I’m facing a brutal 4 hole stretch to close out the round. Do I drink the ice cold Bud Light Lime in the cart cooler?

It seems like a number of the names we have come to associate with Callaway marketing have left recently. Is this indicative of structural changes at Callaway? A change to Callaway‘s marketing strategy? Normal / inevitable turnover?

@EthanatorCG Callaway has several lines of irons in place to fit a variety of golfers and their swings. When it comes to marketing, how do you approach creating a campaign to differentiate the sets so that the consumers aren't confused about which they should be leaning towards?

Ethan are you a craft beer kind of guy? If so what is your favorite and have you ever brewed your own beer?

What is the most thing you’re proud of during your time at Callaway?

I am an every kind of beer guy. Love craft beer. I have an app called Untappd that I use to keep track of everything I've tried over the last 8 or 9 years.
Favorite is such a tough thing to define - beer is very mood/occasion dependent. I'm always a sucker for anything on nitro so I love stouts, but being here in SoCal, IPAs are so huge. So a nitro IPA is always a win. I just had some stuff from Scofflaw brewing in ATL that was great, and anyhting from Modern Times is fantastic.
I did brew beer for my old job, twice. One was a blueberry witbier and one was a hybrid beer that was supposed to be the beer version of a Dark & Stormy cocktail

HEre's a video I made about the brewing of one of them

As for most proud at Callaway - I'd have to point to our PLaying THrough commercial during the Open Championship a few years ago. The format was new and to the best of my knowledge we were the first people to leaverage the split screen with a custom commercial. Mike Tirico gave us a shout out when they came back from break. We shot this and edited it internally!

Back