Happy Bobby Bonilla Day 2020!

Every second I can laugh at the Mets is a second I’m not dwelling on the Phillies recent failures!

Saw him play back in old Shea Stadium. Find this funny everytime it comes up.

One of my favorite sports days. The only person I can think of that has a better deal going is Chase Daniel. That dude makes insane money for being a backup.

Chase Daniel has made over $230,000 per completion in his career and that number will probably keep climbing in 2020.

retirement is easy

Really liked the player when he played for the Pirates. Brilliant contract negotiation by he and his agent with the Mets.

One of my favorite sports days. The only person I can think of that has a better deal going is Chase Daniel. That dude makes insane money for being a backup.

The pride of Southlake Carroll HS - kid had a great HS career and will be filthy rich for having accomplished nothing of note other then being in the right place at the right time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

great contract for him and very smart.. surprised others haven't tried something similar. And $1 million a year for the mets isn't anything to worry about for their cap either

Really liked the player when he played for the Pirates. Brilliant contract negotiation by he and his agent with the Mets.

He was one of my faves when with the Bucs. Always smiling, and he didn't have that contract then.

He was one of my faves when with the Bucs. Always smiling, and he didn't have that contract then.

Loved watching he and Bonds back then. They were definitely the NL team I pulled for because of those 2 guys. Despite all the other stuff, I remain a Bonds fan to this day. Still regard him as the best player I have seen in my lifetime though Trout may eventually take over that spot.

Loved watching he and Bonds back then. They were definitely the NL team I pulled for because of those 2 guys. Despite all the other stuff, I remain a Bonds fan to this day. Still regard him as the best player I have seen in my lifetime though Trout may eventually take over that spot.

I grew up in W Pa so it's in my DNA to be fans of the Pirates, Steelers, and Pens. You know how that can be. One of those has been harder than the others. That 1990-92 group was quite a team. Bon
ds, Bonilla, Drabek, Leyland. My personal favorite was Andy Van Slyke because a) he was a good ballplayer, b) he was goofy, and c) he once passed a kidney stone while playing center field.

Best I ever saw was Roberto Clemente. He had it all.

Last edited:
I was talking about this the other day. I can’t believe how much longer he has on this.

He worked the system the correct way.

The owners of the Mets needed the money to invest it with Bernie Madoff. So, rather than buyout Bonilla, they "invested" with Madoff.

If you think the Bonilla deal is bad, look up the Spirits of St. Louis, the former ABA franchise that was not included in the merger with the NBA in the 70s. The deal that their owners negotiated with the NBA in lieu of being merged into the NBA is mind boggling as to how it unfolded. Rather than accept a cash buyout, the owners of the Spirits agreed to accept a portion of the TV revenues in perpetuity of the 4 surviving ABA franchises (Pacers, Spurs, Nets and Nuggets). That deal cost the NBA hundreds of millions of dollars.

The buyout offered to the owners at the time of the merger was about 5 million dollars.

This is one of my favorites. Gotta love New York sports. :ROFLMAO:

As a Mets fan, I just hope Cespedes has more HRs this year than Bonilla. LFGM!

Bobby Bonilla's agent is the smartest man in the history of pro sports.

at some point the Mets should just pay the remaining balance and be done. Either way his agent deserves one hell of a high five.

The owners of the Mets needed the money to invest it with Bernie Madoff. So, rather than buyout Bonilla, they "invested" with Madoff.

If you think the Bonilla deal is bad, look up the Spirits of St. Louis, the former ABA franchise that was not included in the merger with the NBA in the 70s. The deal that their owners negotiated with the NBA in lieu of being merged into the NBA is mind boggling as to how it unfolded. Rather than accept a cash buyout, the owners of the Spirits agreed to accept a portion of the TV revenues in perpetuity of the 4 surviving ABA franchises (Pacers, Spurs, Nets and Nuggets). That deal cost the NBA hundreds of millions of dollars.

The buyout offered to the owners at the time of the merger was about 5 million dollars.
I was just about to mention the Spirits of St. Louis! Now THAT is a deal.

Bobby Bonilla's agent is the smartest man in the history of pro sports.

The Mets owner, Fred Wilpon, deserves his fair share of credit for the deal. What's $1.2 million a year when you had Bernie Madoff getting you more than 20% returns on your investments.

We kos
The pride of Southlake Carroll HS - kid had a great HS career and will be filthy rich for having accomplished nothing of note other then being in the right place at the right time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We lost to them in a close game my senior year at the old cowboys stadium. It was the third round and everyone figured whoever won would probably win state which they did. I remover watching him in Lubbock the next year as a true freshman run and lower his shoulder and plow over one of Tech’s safeties. He was a beast.

I've never heard of this and being a numbers guy, I had to look it up because it just didn't make sense to me when I read it. Part of the confusion was cleared up when I read that they didn't start paying him until 2011. However, if the excerpt below is accurate, they also agreed to an 8% (I'd assume yearly) interest rate which would compound that amount greatly.

In 2000, the Mets agreed to buy out the remaining $5.9 million on Bonilla's contract.

However, instead of paying Bonilla the $5.9 million at the time, the Mets agreed to make annual payments of nearly $1.2 million for 25 years starting July 1, 2011, including a negotiated 8% interest.

If we use $1,193,248.20 as the amount, I get the numbers below for his actual yearly payments.

$ 1,193,248.20
2011​
$ 1,288,708.06
2012​
$ 1,391,804.70
2013​
$ 1,503,149.08
2014​
$ 1,623,401.00
2015​
$ 1,753,273.08
2016​
$ 1,893,534.93
2017​
$ 2,045,017.72
2018​
$ 2,208,619.14
2019​
$ 2,385,308.67
2020​
$ 2,576,133.37
2021​
$ 2,782,224.04
2022​
$ 3,004,801.96
2023​
$ 3,245,186.12
2024​
$ 3,504,801.01
2025​
$ 3,785,185.09
2026​
$ 4,087,999.89
2027​
$ 4,415,039.88
2028​
$ 4,768,243.07
2029​
$ 5,149,702.52
2030​
$ 5,561,678.72
2031​
$ 6,006,613.02
2032​
$ 6,487,142.06
2033​
$ 7,006,113.43
2034​
$ 7,566,602.50
2035​

Best Contract in baseball... I need an annuity!

Back