chirpy

Reaction score
Handicap
Last weekend I tried a new ball: the Bridgestone B330S. Prior to this, I had been playing the B330RX. I thought I'd try the "S" model because my driver swing speed is 105-110 and wanted to see if I got more greenside spin.

I actually played really well with the B330S, but it felt like a rock when I hit it with my driver (compared to the B330RX). I actually told my friend that it felt like I was hitting a brick wall with it, whereas my old ball had that softer/compressed feel (which I prefer, but maybe only because it's what I'm used to).

Does anyone prefer the feel of harder balls? I'm trying to decide if I should stick with them for a bit or move back to the soft balls.

I like the harder balls usually. Did the 330 play better than the rx outside of the "feel" category?

Yeah, besides the feel, I actually preferred the play of the B330S over the B330RX.

Yeah, besides the feel, I actually preferred the play of the B330S over the B330RX.

I say go with the 330 and see if it grows on you. It's hard to argue with good results.

I have always liked a good frim ball. The Dunlop DDH 110 was one of my favorites all time.

I prefer a softer ball actually. I'm gonna get it out there a ways off the tee anyways, so if I lose a couple yards no biggie, plus the extra control around the green and on iron shots is great.

This whole hard and soft ball thing is confusing me. I see people talking all the time about how distance balls feel like rocks. Since those balls are made to compress easier, wouldn't they feel softer off the driver and the higher spin balls feel harder? What am I missing here?

This whole hard and soft ball thing is confusing me. I see people talking all the time about how distance balls feel like rocks. Since those balls are made to compress easier, wouldn't they feel softer off the driver and the higher spin balls feel harder? What am I missing here?

I think it all comes down to the cover to me.

That depends on the distance ball for me. Cheap ones definitely feel like rocks (Top Flite XL3000, Wilson MAXIMUM, etc...) while high quality ones (RBZ, Velocity, etc...).

I have found no other ball that fits my game better then the Bridgestone e6, and for the price I can't complain!!

If you like firm try the Callaway Tour I(Z).

Maybe you just like the S. Try the B330 RXS

Last weekend I tried a new ball: the Bridgestone B330S. Prior to this, I had been playing the B330RX. I thought I'd try the "S" model because my driver swing speed is 105-110 and wanted to see if I got more greenside spin.

I actually played really well with the B330S, but it felt like a rock when I hit it with my driver (compared to the B330RX). I actually told my friend that it felt like I was hitting a brick wall with it, whereas my old ball had that softer/compressed feel (which I prefer, but maybe only because it's what I'm used to).

Does anyone prefer the feel of harder balls? I'm trying to decide if I should stick with them for a bit or move back to the soft balls.

I don't think I've hit the RX but I thought the B330s felt soft. I think you have to play what you are comfortable with and the feel you prefer.

I'm not sure if I can even tell the difference or not. I've heard so much about certain balls being rocks that if I hit one now, I automatically don't like it and I don't know if I really feel it or I've just been brainwashed into thinking it's going to be hard feeling so I think it is.

I'd try the b330rxs and see what you think.
Your right on the edge of the ss for the 330/330s, I'd you don't get center contact you might not compress the ball.
Of course I'm just talking about things I've read, I'm by no means an expert.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I really like high compression balls. My two favorites off the driver are the nike 20xi from last year and the tour i(Z). I like to know when I get a hold of the ball and feel the club face and the ball compress. I Have played the lower compression balls and really dont like feeling like Im hitting a marshmallow. Prov1x is about as soft as I really like, the penat tp5, prov1, chrome, all in that area are ok on flush shots but still feel a bit mushy and lack of feedback to me. I dont like the I didnt even hit the ball feeling to be a good shot, i like the "man I felt that thing hit right on the screws" feeling. ( I use a older 905s driver or a geek gold DCT so the older heads might have something to do with it.)

I really like the B330-S (my SS with driver is about 102 mph or so). It just performs so well around the greens and on approach shots. I hear ya that it feels a shade hard off the driver, but I don't feel like I'm losing any distance with it. On irons I may actually be losing a couple yards, but only cause it spins so great - it just absolutely STICKS onto greens when you hit it nicely.

I really like the B330-S (my SS with driver is about 102 mph or so). It just performs so well around the greens and on approach shots. I hear ya that it feels a shade hard off the driver, but I don't feel like I'm losing any distance with it. On irons I may actually be losing a couple yards, but only cause it spins so great - it just absolutely STICKS onto greens when you hit it nicely.

Agree. I only played one round with it, but was really impressed with the greenside control. Even though I wasn't used to the rock hard feeling when driving (and I was definitely hitting it flush), I didn't notice any loss of distance compared to softer balls. Now I just need to get used to the harder feeling when driving the ball...

Agree. I only played one round with it, but was really impressed with the greenside control. Even though I wasn't used to the rock hard feeling when driving (and I was definitely hitting it flush), I didn't notice any loss of distance compared to softer balls. Now I just need to get used to the harder feeling when driving the ball...

As a few others have stated...they make a B330-RXS

That way you can have the softer feel off the driver and the added greenside control of the "S" series.

I play a so called rock; Pinnacle Gold.
But my swing speed is fast and I hit the ball high enough to get it to drop and stop even with long irons.
Since joining this forum I bought a 3 pack of Pro V1s to have a go but everytime I land on a green I get ridiculous amounts of backspin that the ball doesn't even stay on the green. I'm sure I could learn to control it but not for 3 times the price.

I should probably try one of these Bridgestones that everyone on here uses though.
Unfortunately here in Uganda they only sell Pinnacles, Topflites and Titleists.

I really like the softer ones. I hit it pretty good off the tee as it is, but I find I benefit more from the greenside feel of the softer golf balls.

Perhaps you simply arent compressing the B330-S enough. The RX is actually a softer ball because it has a core that is easier to compress, making it easier for the average person to, "boom it".

Back