Hardest Golf Course you’ve played

Pelican hill was pretty tough , lots of slope and undulation .

Crandon Park golf in key Biscayne FL
Mangroves and water every hole.
Greens are wicked to say the least.
I shot to 2- 90s back to back, and walked away smiling.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I would say Greywolf in Panorama BC is the hardest I've played. You never have a flat lie apart from the tee boxes - the ball is either well above or below your feet and you're battling mountains and cliffs.
Runner up would be Tobiano in Kamloops BC.

Torrey South lol. I'm right down the street so I get to play there frequently. We played last month and it was brutal getting ready for the Open. Crazy rough with the kukuya grown in and the fairways were narrowed and the greens lightening. Torrey really crushed me in those conditions but it's always a ton of fun.

Im going to put in Eagle RIdge the General course. big elevation changes, but a difficult course. Lets check out that scorecard, cause I havent played it since I was 13.
TIMEOUT: this course is not difficult.

Kettle Moraine. it can be quite easy except the greens.

Royal Melbourne slapped you in the face with the tee shot, kicked you in the nuts when you hit your second and twisted your nipples with your short game , but the putting was the toughest part, especially if you finished above the hole. I'd go back in a shot.

:surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:
Oh I think I know this course. I never played it but it looks enticing, theres like a uh guy in a booth at the entrance right?

Easy... Ballybunion. So, so, so hard with wind and weather. The rough was borderline wrist injury level with all of the fescue. However, my dream is moving to Ireland and playing my final days on earth there. I’ve got about 30 years left but a man can dream.

Ballybunion with a 50-mph sustained wind was by far the hardest course I've ever played. We had a foursome and we just gambled, but had we kept score, no one would have broken 100. That's with 2 scratch players and 2 low-handicappers. I remember one shot on a par-5, all I wanted to do was hit the fairway on my 2nd shot. I played a low 4-iron and I could tell it was going to make the tall Fescue (or is it Marram?) grass that lined the fairways. This grass absolutely swallows balls!

Anyway, as soon as I hit my shot, I took off at a sprint, intently watching for the point of entry where my ball would reach that evil grass. I saw it go in, and I knew the ball had to be no more than 8" off the fairway; I kept my eyes glued on the spot it went in. Of course I never found it...

We were playing Animals, and a Gorilla is OB or lost ball. If you are the last to make one of the animals (Gorilla = lost ball/OB, Snake = 3-putt, Camel = sand, Fish = water) you owe each player in the group $1 x the number of that animal on the day. Gorillas were by far the most numerous and this shot was on #16 so I owned the Gorillas at that point. Luckily, another guy made a Gorilla on 17 and I played the 18th hole with a wedge the whole way to avoid losing a ball!

Played the Ocean Course in the mid 90’s and it was brutal. 9 straight holes into the wind in the days before urethane and titanium lol
But,
There is a course in the foothills west of Charlotte, Cleghorn Plantation, a George Cobb design. It was 7100 from the tips in the 80’s and was just brutal. Uphill, down hill, forced carries, elevated multi tier greens and that was just number 10.

I’m curious what is the hardest course you’ve ever played and what made it so hard?

Yesterday I was in Bloomington, IN for work and afterwards played the PFAU course, which is the University of Indiana’s home course opened last year. To say it’s difficult is an understatement. I found it impossible. While the course was beautiful, there was no room to miss and also required a lot of course knowledge just to understand where to hit it and how far you could hit it. And if you missed the fairway, forget about it. Finding the ball felt like a freaking miracle. There were 3 holes that I lost 3-4 balls on. If it wasn’t for ESC I would have posted a 121 in GHIN. The course was just stupid hard.

Here is the scorecard.
View attachment 9013264
I played the blue tees and it kicked my butt.

This was typical of the bunker complexes. If you landed between the bunkers you likely lost a ball View attachment 9013265
There was fairway, a first cut, rough, extra rough and then don’t even bother looking rough

View attachment 9013266

This is a very typical fairway - extremely narrow with lots of slope. I can’t tell you the number of times I was on the tee box thinking “what do I even aim for???”
View attachment 9013267
The greens were hard as a rock and must have rolled at least a 13. Any mid to long iron into the green meant landing it short and let it roll out. I hit a beautiful 5i into the 200 yard par 3 and it landed 5’ on the front of the green and still managed to roll all the way to the back of the green uphill!
View attachment 9013268

If I ever see a University of Indiana golfer in the NCAA championships, I’m betting the farm on them. If you can score here, you have a stellar game

Bethpage Black tipped out on every hole even when the tees weren’t back. Was fun experience but was brutal.

I'll add two more entries...Ha
2009 last day you were allowed to play Bethpage Black prior to the US Open...If you recall it was a monsoon Open.Lucas Glover won..Anyway did the outta state thing...Slept in car got bakery chit Son arrived just as the guy was handing them out at 5am. We played the tips at 7600 of which you got zero roll. Played really well and shot 96 as a 6 handicap....
2nd which was just to say I did.....and like nobody did....The International Pines Course in Bolton, Mass. It had a set of Tiger tees which were named before Tiger was golfing. It was the longest course in the world. It is under new ownership right now with Coore Crenshaw redoing...But it was 8325 yards and this was in 1995.......Played there many times but only once from the Tigers.

Back