Hardest shot you hate?

I really dislike the 50-65 yard chip shots. I just don't practice it enough and really never want to put myself in that position - If I'm playing well I'll choose shots to try to eliminate that shot... I either chunk it, blade it 900 yards, or hit the purest shot that goes 95 yards...

The bunker shot beyond my explosion and before a full swing. The results can be very short and very long...

For me it's the over 200 yard par three. If I'm playing a course between 6200 yds and 6500 yds, why is there an over 200 yd par three?

Any shot that absolutely must fade. I just can't control the ball moving that direction
I can't hit a fade on purpose to save my life. One of the local courses we play semi-regularly has a lot of dogleg rights, and it tears me up because I can't shape those shots. I either have to try to fly the trees to cut the corner (low percentage shot), or aim at the right side of the fairway and be satisfied playing from the left rough.

Anything 200+ out where I feel like I have to use a fairway wood. I don’t have any confidence in them and due to that most of the time I’ll concede to a hybrid the wedge in.

me also, that's a tough shot!!!
Add me to that list as well, I have absolutely no idea how to hit that shot. Fairway bunkers I'm fine with when there is no expectation of anything other than getting out. Greenside bunkers I'm pretty decent at, but those mid length shots to get to a green are just a complete mystery to me.

The downhill putts at my home course after they’ve rolled the greens and the pin location leaves you no chance other than if you make it. Many times the best you can hope for is stopping the ball 10 feet below the hole and a couple times each summer I’ll putt off the green and have to go back to my bag to get a wedge for the next shot.

Our greens will drive the best golfers crazy. They held the women’s Minnesota State Open Championship at our club last summer for 74 of the best golfers in the state and only 20 of them broke 160 for the two days with pin positions that were mild compared to one of our club tournaments.

Last edited:
Bunker shot from high up the front face. Impossible.

Ball below my feet for sure. I can never make good contact.

Little pitches from soft wet bare lies. "Bonus Points" because they're almost always needing to be hit up softly to elevated greens:beat-up:. My delivery is pretty shallow so you'd think I'd be decent enough with this shot but there's just too much scar tissue from past sh!t shows. So I usually tense up and try to 'precisely steer' the clubface to desired contact rather than just feel and trust the little stroke required. Steering it NEVER works out for me.

Ball below my feet doesn’t seem to be much of an issue for me as it does for some. Now above my feet…… that’s always cause for concern and it can happen a lot at my home course.

Water right off the tee.. no matter how far left I aim, the lovely fade that I've had all day, becomes a massive slice that will find water no matter what club is my hand. I might as well hit putter off the tee and approach from there.

I have a mental block on shots 50 to 80 yards. I seem to flub my SW or over hit it. Not much touch lately.

Downhill lie, ball below my feet. :(

This was mine as well. I have these all too often & they rarely work out well in the end. Problem is ... finding somewhere to practice them. :unsure:

Downhill lie in a bunker with a high face in front of you is another tough one.

the next shot. Always dread it.

I hate hitting a hard, very low slice from out of the woods. It's often hard for me to keep it low enough, especially if I need to keep it low for the first 15-20 yards to get under a branch or something.

Long explosion bunker shots, flops over a bunker, and pitches/chips to a severely downhill green all give me varying degrees of agita...

Down hill lie with a mid or higher iron to the green

Probably bunker with water the other side of the green. Not that great on downhill lies either.

downhill slope lie behind the green, and the green is downhill.

Downhill lie. Doesn't matter the distance.

Back