Has Anyone Built a REAL Green At Home

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone here ever tried to build an actual real grass putting surface on their home property? I’ve always wanted exactly how difficult it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dduarte85;n8876213 said:
Has anyone here ever tried to build an actual real grass putting surface on their home property? I�ve always wanted exactly how difficult it is!

I haven't, but I've watched Randy from Fried Eggs Golf on YouTube do it and then maintain it. Seems like a ton of work. But if you have the space like they do, them I'm sure it would be awesome to have.

A chipping green wouldn't be all that hard in theory. If you want a putting green that plays well building is probably easier then maintaining am imagine a push mower that can cut greens might cost a big chunk of money. Other then that the building is mostly the same as an artificial one and there are a few guys here who have done that.

I’ve never tried it because I know I’d never be able to maintain it. It would be awesome to have though.

Considering a new mower for greens would run $10k+ I doubt you will find very many people that have done this. Heck decent used ones run almost $2k. Would be really cool even though I can’t keep my normal grass green :)

I've never seen one, but obviously it's not easy.

I'll never understand the allure though, I can putt for about 20 minutes before I get bored.

Holy smokes didn’t realize the mowers were so pricy!

[video=youtube;cepSz-pE3Ak]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepSz-pE3Ak[/video]

I would absolutely tip my cap to anyone so ambitious!

There truly is nothing like the real thing. But considering the necessary effort for real, and the fact that artificial still putts very well, I'm extremely happy with my phony green.

I am building a tee box that I hope someday might be puttable. For now it is going to be a chipping area and a tee box for my practice net. I will sand and level it over time and experiment with cutting it low. Greens mowers can be had for under $1000 if you wait for the right deal. I am going to cut it like rough at first and lower it to fairway height after the sod takes hold.

20190614_132428.jpg

I started by killing a 20 X 20 area by covering it in plastic for two weeks.
20190626_133229.jpg

I then scalped the dead grass off with a weedeater.
20190706_131324.jpg

My neighbor dug out about eight inches with his bucket loader.
20190717_105441.jpg

I filled it with sand and leveled it. I am getting my sod Monday.
20190816_122748.jpg

thats going to be a great practice area

Good luck with that build badolds... I would love to have that much space to try something like this.

Man that’s epic!

Oh, this will be nice.

Nice Badolds!

At my old house I had a really crappy chipping green. It just consisted of me killing off a 30ft circle of grass and planting bent grass after I got all the dead out of there. I rolled it good and picked out all the rocks

I stuck a flag in the middle of it. I used a weed eater to cut it as I could cut it tight without torching it. Spent countless hours with the kids out there chipping on it and it’s probably why my middle son has such a great short game. For a long time Google Earth showed it but they recently updated the area and the new owner didn’t keep it, which is strange since he’s a golfer too. Thought it was pretty funny that from space you could tell a golfer lived there.

Total cost was about 8 hours of labor and a couple hundred bucks. Took about 20 minutes twice a week to cut with the weed eater.

It wasnt anything special but it was fun and it was better than nothing.

My Bermuda practice area is coming along nicely. I am not calling it a putting green because I doubt it will ever get nice enough for a putting surface. The sod is taking root and the squares are starting to grow together. I used a strain called Tiffgrand, It is not ideal for a putting surface but it is very hearty and tolerates some shade. It can be mowed from rough length down to 5/32" with reports of people mowing it even lower.

20190906_160946.jpg

It has been over 100 degrees every day this week and in the high nineties since July. I am keeping the grass tall while this heat wave is here. My little fibrebuilt mat is located between the two areas so I can hit into either one or from one to another.

20190906_161044.jpg

It is very bumpy where the sod squares meet so I get funny bounces when the ball hits a seam. Next year I will sand and level it and start cutting it at fairway length.

20190906_161105.jpg

I had some extra sod so I made a smaller area about 25 yards from the "green". I did not dig out a bed under this area or do any other prep work. I just scalped the grass off with a weedeater and threw the extra sod down on the hard packed ground. This area is in the shade most of the day which is not good for most Bermuda strains so we will see if it lives. This will be the tee box eventually if it survives.

20190906_161140.jpg

I located this in an area where I cannot be seen by customers at the service counter. Carol will tell a customer who is asking for me "he's busy" Yep, I'm busy practicing my short game haha. I have spent hours out here already in its current state and am looking forward to making it better. The native grass here is sparse and nothing like what you find on the course so I was practicing shots that do not matter. The ground gets hard as a rock in the summer and the balls bounce like ping pong balls so this allows me to get some check up while practicing.

Whoooaa that’s a heckuva labor of love right there badolds, very cool and great practice area

I aerated and sanded the smaller area today.

20191003_111923.jpg

The larger area is filling in quite nicely. The bermuda right on top of dirt is a very tight lie so I need to add some sand on top to make it lush. I am experimenting on the smaller area before I do anything to the main area.

20191003_111855.jpg

Back