Has purchasing a driver become too complicated for the average person?

Ok, I have a question. In reality, being totally honest and objective, how many strokes per round would getting fit for a driver really save me? 3? 5? 10? At my skill level, Really don't know spending the dough on a new stick, even if it included the fitting would really be that huge of a benefit. Money probably better spent on lessons/range time in my case.

A good fitting can help bring in your dispersion which woukd keep more balls in play, bring balls that just miss the fairway closer to the fairway and then add in the benefit if forgiveness/ball retention to minimize the bad results in bad shots. Also getting a fitting to help maximize launch and spin should increase distance to an extent

I think it's easier than ever to find the right driver. Hell all you need to do it get in the same city as the ball park. Buy it and adjust it to be fit to your liking. What's so complicated?

If it is not too complicated for this great grandfather I just don't think it is too complicated for anyone. A person can make a good choice by reading online for a very short while. I feel it is much harder today to buy a club you have not hit and it totally not be close to a good fit than it was say 10 years ago. Just a little effort is all it takes, if someone will go into a store that can give comparative numbers it is about as simple as can be then.

it's not the club head it's the shaft. I've hit a bunch of drivers recently and had the guy moving weights around, etc.... I came to the conclusion my swing isn't consistent enough for the adjustments to make that much of a difference. What I did realize is that the shaft makes all the difference in the world in the "feel" of the club and you need something that fits your swing. (duh) I hit all of them about the same. Similar results with each one but once I found the right feel, then nothing else really matters unless you're concerned with picking the one that has the right color/look/sound.

I think my new driver purchase was the hardest, I wanted to get away from the adjustable drivers and into something that I wouldn't tinker with....(more so taking my tinkering out of the equation). I didn't have a ton of options, but when I found the JGR I knew it was a must buy, it was everything I wanted in my price point that I wanted to spend. It took a little time and somewhat being stubborn to not change my initial want of a fixed driver, but I got everything I wanted.

Do I think the decision is really hard... Not really, sometimes you just have to wait for exactly what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This whole thread just feels like a fabricated problem being made for argument's sake.

No.....it was just made with an open mind (or a curious one) and one of which just simply wondered if there perhaps may be something to the idea and also at very least perhaps simply just interesting enough that others may wish to talk about.

I know my ideas and thoughts are not too often liked around here because they can at times go against the norm or the general flow and I also often dare to question the norm, the common knowledge, or the generally accepted which is also not often liked either. I can also get too analytical at times for the liking of many as well.

Perhaps faults of mine but I assure everyone I don't do these things to ruin peoples days or to start troubles just to stir the pot. I do them because I find some of my ideas and thoughts interesting enough to share even at the risk of some debate and challenge and even if my ideas are often outside the box of general thinking. And sometimes believe it or not they have sparked new thought in others for things they may not have thought of otherwise.. Its not so easy to often be the odd man out with my thoughts and at times be persistent with them yet still speak my mind knowing full well some resistance will follow and even at rarer times (as has happened) a tad of frustration, ridicule or mockery may even follow. But I do it anyway because of an honest and well intended interest. Never is it done for any bad reasons or ill intent at all.

As for this specific topic? Just seemed a good idea to put it out there and I don't think anyone was hurt at all nor do I think it was useless. Actually I still don't 100% exactly agree with everyone and can say a tad more but on this topic this time its not worth the percentage of poor responses I would get so I've let it go. But imo its been an OK thing to discuss and others are still chiming in so it must have brought some interest and theres never anything wrong with that imo..

Last edited:
Perfect example of this is my buddies dad two summers ago. Saw him at the course with a new cobra driver (forgot which one) and he said he was loving it. I asked "what are you currently playing that at?" He looked at me and said no joke "I have no idea, I just liked the color" lol that's a true story and still makes me laugh but it's funny how well it fits into this thread. He's 61 and was not hesitant at all about having adjustments, he just doesn't use them.

A while back on a Crossfield episode, can't remember if it was Henrick Stenson or Thomas Pieters who are both respected professional golfers, what they were playing there driver at. They said, "I don't really know, whatever the fitter set it at" and then they proceeded to look at the driver to see what the stated loft even was. I thought it was pretty telling as to what a professional golfer is concerned about and is probably more the way a lot of us should go about building our bags.

No.....it was just made with an open mind (or a curious one) and one of which just simply wondered if there perhaps may be something to the idea and also at very least perhaps simply just interesting enough that others may wish to talk about.

I know my ideas and thoughts are not too often liked around here because they can at times go against the norm or the general flow and I also often dare to question the norm, the common knowledge, or the generally accepted which is also not often liked either. I can also get too analytical at times for the liking of many as well.

Perhaps faults of mine but I assure everyone I don't do these things to ruin peoples days or to start troubles just to stir the pot. I do them because I find some of my ideas and thoughts interesting enough to share even at the risk of some debate and challenge and even if my ideas are often outside the box of general thinking. And sometimes believe it or not they have sparked new thought in others for things they may not have thought of otherwise.. Its not so easy to often be the odd man out with my thoughts and at times be persistent with them yet still speak my mind knowing full well some resistance will follow and even at rarer times (as has happened) a tad of frustration, ridicule or mockery may even follow. But I do it anyway because of an honest and well intended interest. Never is it done for any bad reasons or ill intent at all.

As for this specific topic? Just seemed a good idea to put it out there and I don't think anyone was hurt at all nor do I think it was useless. Actually I still don't 100% exactly agree with everyone and can say a tad more but on this topic this time its not worth the percentage of poor responses I would get so I've let it go. But imo its been an OK thing to discuss and others are still chiming in so it must have brought some interest and theres never anything wrong with that imo..
I stick with my thought. I understand and can appreciate wanting discussion. But I still feel like you're trying to force discussion on a problem that doesn't exist. Again, the next person I hear say they didn't buy a new driver because there are just too many options, will be the first person I hear say that.

I will tag along on the idea if there are too many fitting options a golfer can't be bothered to explore, that golfer cannot say that driver tech is maxed out.

I stick with my thought. I understand and can appreciate wanting discussion. But I still feel like you're trying to force discussion on a problem that doesn't exist. Again, the next person I hear say they didn't buy a new driver because there are just too many options, will be the first person I hear say that.

I will tag along on the idea if there are too many fitting options a golfer can't be bothered to explore, that golfer cannot say that driver tech is maxed out.

Blu- my last post (on the topic) was #36 at about 20 posts ago and a page back. So I havnt forced anything and even then in that post it only explained why I was thinking about the topic and didnt force anything. The topic itself has been bringing its own interest for others to further chime in about. I did start the thread and I own that part. . I never once said this was a real problem but I only questioned the possibility. To me that was an interesting thought and I felt to share, ask, and discuss it. My apologies if you think its ridiculous or hate the idea of it or think my reason for bringing it up should have never materialized.

I like the blue one

#decided

'Blugold" with due respect I will try to answer both your implied thoughts as to why I thought of the subject and also why I thought it possible a person may get deterred from buying.

I was tinkering with the idea of a new driver the other day and so I went looking at some different brands websites. As I started to see the multiple driver lineups offered by each brand, I was a bit surprised at the different types of drivers and different adjustable gadgetries within very many of them. To me, at first glance it felt as though it was a lot to absorb. It felt as though some great efforts and investigating and trials and errors and figuring what all this stuff does was required and also to learn how/what/why they work and differ etc, etc...It sort of left me with a first impression that this was to be a long and intensive process much more so than it was when I bought one 3 years ago as a leftover from the year before that. That process at first seemed a bit too much a daunting task that I would be in for. It was a negative feeling and it kind of turned me off as for tinkering with the idea of a new driver.

With that said and like most anything, once we figure out a few things and understand it a little better the assumed daunting task isn't so daunting anymore after all. But at first glance it was how it felt initially and so I thought to myself....If I (being one who does have some understanding of this stuff) felt that way, then I wonder how one who has very little or no knowledge of this stuff would feel. I thought, would they feel its too confusing? Would it be a turn off to them?. It did initially turn me off so I thought just perhaps there is a possibility those who have even less or no understanding would be turned off too.

I felt the topic would be good to discuss. I simply had an honest thought that due to my initial (at first glance) negative experience then perhaps others (especially those with even less or no understanding of it all) might feel the same and even worse about it, too confused or turned off. I wondered if this might be the case at all for anyone out there and if by chance there were any percentage turned off by it then that would of course hurt sales at least to those would be buyers.

That is the reason why I thought to bring up the subject. Just was an honest and curious thought I had. And felt to share and ask about it. And this specific post is not to force ideas or opinion on the subject but is only written for the purpose to explain to you or anyone why I started this thread in the first place and why I thought its idea of one possibly being deterred was at least worthy of discussion.

Rollin, I can say from experience, you're not the only one to get overwhelmed from the amount of info. Have people come in saying, "there's so much out there, I have no idea where to start". We're not a big box store, so the experience is different for everyone, but in my case, getting them booked with a professional club technician is not a problem.

I think reading online, for those who are looking, though maybe have no stayed up to date, the best bet is to take your time and get out in person to find information. Go to demo days, different stores, etc. It may not be perfect, not everyone has the time, but if someone is concerned about the options before spending $400+, as they should be, taking the time is well worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was tinkering with the idea of a new driver the other day and so I went looking at some different brands websites. As I started to see the multiple driver lineups offered by each brand, I was a bit surprised at the different types of drivers and different adjustable gadgetries within very many of them. To me, at first glance it felt as though it was a lot to absorb. It felt as though some great efforts and investigating and trials and errors and figuring what all this stuff does was required and also to learn how/what/why they work and differ etc, etc...It sort of left me with a first impression that this was to be a long and intensive process much more so than it was when I bought one 3 years ago as a leftover from the year before that. That process at first seemed a bit too much a daunting task that I would be in for. It was a negative feeling and it kind of turned me off as for tinkering with the idea of a new driver.

What did you find different than 3 years ago? When I look at it there are pretty much the same amount of new drivers on the market today as there was 3 years ago. There are adjustable drivers which we had 3 years ago, there are forgiving drivers and not so forgiving drivers which we had 3 years ago. One thing that has changed IMO is the amount of free upgrade shafts from various OEMs to help get those who want it better fit for a driver.

I felt the topic would be good to discuss. I simply had an honest thought that due to my initial (at first glance) negative experience then perhaps others (especially those with little or no understanding of it all) might feel the same and even worse about it, too confused or turned off. I wondered if this might be the case at all for anyone out there and if by chance there were any percentage turned off by it then that would of course hurt sales at least to those would be buyers.

A majority of golfers don't care to get fit or may get fit for a specific brand that they are loyal too and don't care what other brands offer. Many just walk into DSG, GS, GG or local pro shop and pick out a driver from their favorite player or brand, in the loft they think they need and in their desired flex...whether all of these are right or wrong they don't care because they want to play a certain driver.

Like War Eagle said in another thread a knowledgeable staff at a store would be better for some experiences when walking into a golf store. In reality the purchasing of a driver or any other club is as simple or as difficult as a person makes it. IMO it's no different than the purchase process for any item that has a large selection of models and options within that model, whether it's a car, washing machine, lawn mower,etc.

Rollin, I can say from experience, you're not the only one to get overwhelmed from the amount of info. Have people come in saying, "there's so much out there, I have no idea where to start". We're not a big box store, so the experience is different for everyone, but in my case, getting them booked with a professional club technician is not a problem.

I think reading online, for those who are looking, though maybe have no stayed up to date, the best bet is to take your time and get out in person to find information. Go to demo days, different stores, etc. It may not be perfect, not everyone has the time, but if someone is concerned about the options before spending $400+, as they should be, taking the time is well worth it.

And this in part is part of the point. It can get to be more a process (physical and mental) than one wished for. And the less the knowledge while the more the variations , then the more that process can become.
Can that then be a deterrent and even a turn off for someone? I don't really know for sure. According to most here they are saying no not at all. But its just the reason I brought up the subject.

And this in part is part of the point. It can get to be more a process (physical and mental) than one wished for. And the less the knowledge while the more the variations , then the more that process can become.
Can that then be a deterrent and even a turn off for someone? I don't really know for sure. According to most here they are saying no not at all. But its the reason I brought up the subject.

To that I will say that its no different to purchasing anything, just that the education is more accessible than ever before.
I used a bunch of examples previously and its true. EVERY consumer good has evolved as technology has allowed it. Yet the education on said products is that much easier to find.

Why does everyone make it so hard? No one is making you hit every thing you can get your hands on. If you like a company and want the latest and greatest go buy it. If you want older tech because it fits the budget it's simple to find that as well.

Let's stop over think this release cycle nonsense and thinking that everything is always so complicated. It's a game after all and we should be having fun playing it, not worrying about that fraction of a degree the face was open to miss the fairway by 3 feet.

Can that then be a deterrent and even a turn off for someone? I don't really know for sure. According to most here they are saying no not at all. But its the reason I brought up the subject.

Think it depends on the person, for sure. Some will pursue the information. They're spending quite a bit of money. Some just won't care. Think they look at the process ahead of them and then just end up going with something they know, rather that be brand, price point, etc.

It may lengthening the amount of purchasing time, but not sure how many give up on the process completely. I'm sure there are some, think it depends what someone wants from the game.

To that I will say that its no different to purchasing anything, just that the education is more accessible than ever before.
I used a bunch of examples previously and its true. EVERY consumer good has evolved as technology has allowed it. Yet the education on said products is that much easier to find.

IMO it's no different than the purchase process for any item that has a large selection of models and options within that model, whether it's a car, washing machine, lawn mower,etc.

I wouldnt disagree with these posts. mention was made earlier and it makes sense.

Think it depends on the person, for sure. Some will pursue the information. They're spending quite a bit of money. Some just won't care. Think they look at the process ahead of them and then just end up going with something they know, rather that be brand, price point, etc.

It may lengthening the amount of purchasing time, but not sure how many give up on the process completely. I'm sure there are some, think it depends what someone wants from the game.

FWIW, its not really any different than it was 25 years ago. Just that the clubs are easier to test locally, and more information is easily accessible. And guess what was the case then? The same conversation that it was too hard to make a decision, that the tech was too hard to understand and that they were confused.

This continues to be an interesting discussion. I think the crux here is "average person." THPers are not the average golfer. We are a supportive network sharing information and experiences. That can lead to some serious nerd-level nuts and bolts details and extended debate. But I think to the average person out there, they are aligned with the manufacturer-level marketing around more general attributes like brand values, longer, more forgiving, adjustability, and price point. I'm not sure there is much nitty gritty that goes into it, other than maybe anecdotal things like Bubba or that one guy I played with recently sure hits driver XXXX a long ways. That was certainly me looking to get back into golf a year ago before I joined THP. Honestly, I think after one year here I can start to make informed decisions on golf equipment. In other words, I am now on the road to golf-driven financial ruin like all of you. :bulgy-eyes:

Totally agree with the OP on this particular subject. I currently am gaming a Callaway diablo edge in my bag for my driver.....pretty old club...works for me....but I was ready for a refresher. Wife gave me the go ahead and I started looking and doing some research...went to a local big box store and looked at some. Hit a couple and enjoyed them....but then they started selling me on the "technology" of the club....what happened to the days of buying a driver that didn't need to be adjusted to fit your swing? What happened to the days where you actually had to practice and get lessons instead of having to adjust this or add weight to that to keep the ball in play? What happened to the days where I could just buy a regular flex shaft with a 10.5* loft without any adjustment aside from me adjusting my swing for where I'm hitting it that day?

Why does everyone make it so hard? No one is making you hit every thing you can get your hands on. If you like a company and want the latest and greatest go buy it. If you want older tech because it fits the budget it's simple to find that as well.

Let's stop over think this release cycle nonsense and thinking that everything is always so complicated. It's a game after all and we should be having fun playing it, not worrying about that fraction of a degree the face was open to miss the fairway by 3 feet.

Well, its the same reasons we learn that a ball spins backwards off the driver or that an overly in/out swing causes a hook or that the face angle is what starts the balls path direction or that we don't compress a ball into the ground with an iron. All simple things that very many out there still think the exact opposites is what happens because they never concerned to think enough. Understanding things better and properly via thinking has its great benefits towards what one does. I don't think any of this is about whether or not our golf is any more or les fun than the next guy. But understanding more (like those simple things mentioned which many still do not yet know) leads to more satisfaction of knowing, a better chance at correcting things, and more fun.

Totally agree with the OP on this particular subject. I currently am gaming a Callaway diablo edge in my bag for my driver.....pretty old club...works for me....but I was ready for a refresher. Wife gave me the go ahead and I started looking and doing some research...went to a local big box store and looked at some. Hit a couple and enjoyed them....but then they started selling me on the "technology" of the club....what happened to the days of buying a driver that didn't need to be adjusted to fit your swing? What happened to the days where you actually had to practice and get lessons instead of having to adjust this or add weight to that to keep the ball in play? What happened to the days where I could just buy a regular flex shaft with a 10.5* loft without any adjustment aside from me adjusting my swing for where I'm hitting it that day?

You don't have to adjust anything. In fact you can go just like the old days and play what is there and only there. The good news is that now, you CAN adjust something for proper fit, whereas previously you had no option of doing so.

Its like the technology or having the ability to get something even more dialed in? No big deal. You can play it as it is and choose the one you like based on looks, sound and feel or even how they all test in their standard setup.

And as always, those on THP are here to help.

Now this is part of what I meant that could possibly happen to someone.
Now, "for-left" can be educated and offered advice and gain a better understanding and in fact learn a lot about it all from many sources including a lot of us right here. And may in the end even see its not that big of a deal after all just as you do now. But none the less he (if Im not mistaken) is a bit lost or confused right now and perhaps abit intimidated by all the adjustments and what have you. It could be a deterrent that prevents him from making that purchase if it wasn't already. May be even only temporary but he'll have to go through a bit of a process with some learning curve before continuing. Not nearly as simple as he thought when he walked into the store.

You don't have to adjust anything. In fact you can go just like the old days and play what is there and only there. The good news is that now, you CAN adjust something for proper fit, whereas previously you had no option of doing so.

Its like the technology or having the ability to get something even more dialed in? No big deal. You can play it as it is and choose the one you like based on looks, sound and feel or even how they all test in their standard setup.

Proper fit as in how? you always hit a slice so you adjust it so that you don't have to fix your swing? What's wrong with just practicing to fix whatever your adjusting on the driver?

Back