Has purchasing a driver become too complicated for the average person?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
When viewing manufacturer websites such as Cal, Titlest, Tm, Cobra, etc.. we see different drivers offered by the same company and of course all the adjustments but is it too many and too much and is it all too complicated perhaps for its own good? Especially for those (and there are tons) who are not well educated about it nor want to be. Does it force a fitting? And could it be a deterrent?

Whether its a beginner or a casual player who doesn't play much or even an avid casual player, there are tons of people as you all know who don't want a fitting, perhaps cant afford one, perhaps don't understand and/or don't want to get that involved. lets face it...very many clubs have always been sold off the shelf. Most people are not like many of us here who understand a fitting and who may get them done. And even some people who do understand still don't (for any reasons) get them done. But varying choices and different adjustments and different drivers offered by even the same companies imo are possibly making it very difficult for any Joe to buy a driver without a forced good education and without a fitting.

if I view it even from myself. I have a 3yr old Titleist so I am set for a while if I want to be but as I recently looked (just for the heck of it) at some manufacturer websites I have to be honest and say (even with some decent understanding) it can be quite confusing and seem quite the task to make a choice. And also many people look for last year leftovers or slightly used clubs too due to saving good amount of money.

Bottom line is that the different drivers, with different and multiple adjustments and having more than one offered by each company in one sense a good thing but in another sense may be too confusing and be somewhat of a deterrent. People would nee to spend hours hitting each one and doing it at different settings and then move to the next one and have a good fitter who makes the good and correct efforts helping the customer. Years ago you just grabbed one and then a couple more but now its a whole process. Its no longer as easy as there may be too much going on for the average joe. It perhaps now is forcing an education and a fitting as well. But as in the past its not how very many clubs were ever sold. Its just not the average person to be like many here who go that route. Right or wrong, time and money and even ones desire to go through a process or any reasons may not be what many care to do when wanting to buy a driver.

The logical response by some here may be probably to say "well if they don't care then just pick any one cause it doesn't matter anyway"....but imo that response may have worked better when most drivers were somewhat more similar and not the different multi adjustable weights and slides etc and not as many. Even that person who doesn't care as much may now be too confused and get sort of turned off by his own ignorance of it all. His feeling may now be that of --"wow, what is all this" "what do I have to go to school now" "go through a process"....Im just saying its possible it could be a deterrent as very many clubs were always sold without education and fittings and now its possible it may be demanding it. I feel if I want to get a new one I will have to go through not only another fitting but also an enormous process as each manufacturer has multi choices that do different things. Its somewhat intimidating or even a deterrent and that's to someone who has some understanding of it. But to one who is more ignorant it could be even more a deterrent.

Is there just too much where its not as easy anymore? Too confusing for one to decide what to buy? Demands a process that many do not want (for any reasons) to go through? Sure, many here have the education and experiences and may feel the more choices we have the better it all is but that's not the average person and even having some education and understanding still can leave confusion and demand a process that many do not want.

No, if you don't want to educate yourself, or hit different options, or do a fitting, the process is still as easy as ever. Pick your favorite company, pick out their top of the line product (because it must be the best) or alternately the product that fits in your budget, and go buy it. I would say a good portion of the buying public does things this way.

With just a little more effort you can go to Golfsmith or wherever and hit a handful of drivers that tickle your fancy, and take home the one you hit best.

No, if you don't want to educate yourself, or hit different options, or do a fitting, the process is still as easy as ever. Pick your favorite company, pick out their top of the line product (because it must be the best) or alternately the product that fits in your budget, and go buy it. I would say a good portion of the buying public does things this way.

With just a little more effort you can go to Golfsmith or wherever and hit a handful of drivers that tickle your fancy, and take home the one you hit best.

+1 on this

If you do your homework, then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you buy from a big box store they will fit you for free. With adjustability you really don't need to be fit. Of course I'm referring to the average player. Stock shafts work just fine and the heads can be adjusted, so it's not that hard to locate a driver.

Agreed. Its actually easier than ever.
One can do the exact same thing they have always done, and just pick something.
Or one can get educated from tons of places, or right here on THP.
One can get fit at thousands more places for the consumer.
And choices are in just about every budget.

I here that. And sure (as I mentioned) is how very many without education buy drivers anyway. But see that easy process may now be a bit harder because that person may go to website and now see 2 or 3 choices and also with different adjustments and begin to question which one and why and then go to another site and do the same further compounding what was a bit more simple in the past. Simply because its just gotten to that point where even one who didn't care much now is perhapss forced to question his choice. Taking home the one he hit best may not be so simple because weights and slides and adjustments come into play too. He may not have cared much before these things became more dominant but now he may be forced to care simply because they are there. Im not saying this stuff is bad things. But just that it might be possible the whole thing may act as a deterrent to honest ignorance.

I here that. And sure (as I mentioned) is how very many without education buy drivers anyway. But see that easy process may now be a bit harder because that person may go to website and now see 2 or 3 choices and also with different adjustments and begin to question which one and why and then go to another site and do the same further compounding what was a bit more simple in the past. Simply because its just gotten to that point where even one who didn't care much now is perhapss forced to question his choice. Taking home the one he hit best may not be so simple because weights and slides and adjustments come into play too. He may not have cared much before these things became more dominant but now he may be forced to care simply because they are there. Im not saying this stuff is bad things. But just that it might be possible the whole thing may act as a deterrent to honest ignorance.
You know you can find another side to most things in the world. But sometimes things aren't that hard and need to be excepted. It doesn't always have to be so deep.

I don't think the tech is an issue for most golfers. Honestly, from what I see, it doesn't matter what driver most people hit. They develop an emotional attachment to a brand, a look, a gut feeling, whatever. And that's that. I am really amazed at how many golfers I play with and see who put in the hours but are likely permanently stuck where they are. They won't take lessons -- for a every imaginable reason -- and always have the craziest ideas of a quick fix -- usually for a slice and guaranteed added distance -- from some golf rag or youtube video. Call me cynical, I suppose. Credit cards at the ready.

I don't think it is difficult at all. There is some effort involved in how dedicated you are to find the "perfect driver & shaft" for you. I think most of that is in the heads of us golf nerds though!!

I don't see it this way. Sure someone could look at every website and end up very confused, but instead they could come to a place like THP and find out what drivers seem best for his particular struggles. Then research or hit just those. If someone wants to research everything it is easier than ever. I also think the clubmakers do a better job of differentiating who their clubs are for now than they used to.

Just by looking at Callaways site real quick I figured out the following
XR16-forgiving with high speed
XR16 Pro-high speed for better players
Sub Zero-Low spin
GBB-long for all players
Double Black Diamond-Long for better players.

So even though there are several different options, you can probably narrow it down to 2-3 really quickly. 5-6 years ago when I started playing it would have been more like this
Option 1-Long and straight
Option 2-Long and lightweight
Option 3-Long and straight

The next person I hear say, "I wanted a new driver, but there are just too many choices so I stuck to my old driver." Will be the first person I hear say that.

The next person I hear say, "I wanted a new driver, but there are just too many choices so I stuck to my old driver." Will be the first person I hear say that.
I can't fkn imagine how those people must feel shopping for new cars lol

I think the "average" golfer has one or two brands they like and just pick one from them like Wake said. I'm not sure they put much more thought into it.

Whether its a beginner or a casual player who doesn't play much or even an avid casual player, there are tons of people as you all know who don't want a fitting, perhaps cant afford one, perhaps don't understand and/or don't want to get that involved. lets face it...very many clubs have always been sold off the shelf. Most people are not like many of us here who understand a fitting and who may get them done. And even some people who do understand still don't (for any reasons) get them done.

One thing about fitting is that they are all not created equal.
To me unless it is truly comprehensive it isn't worth all that much.
Just to have some guy look at your swing speed and say you need a particular flex isn't very useful.
I know my swing speed drops quite a bit when I am feeling out a new club, only when I get used to it does the speed approach the optimum level.
Then you have to factor in swing flaws.
You need a TRUE Professional who will actually take the time to get you optimized and maybe a bit of a swing coach at the same time instead of someone just going through the motions just to sell a club.
Those sessions albeit useful are also expensive and should be, you will be paying for the session and probably not getting a bargain basement club either.

Those sessions albeit useful are also expensive and should be, you will be paying for the session and probably not getting a bargain basement club either.

Unless its with THP in TX every month, in which case its completely free.

I agree with most here that more options are better. I think a person can get as involved as they want to in buying a driver, which didn't used to be the case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Its not really about too many choices Blugold. My point is more about perhaps too many adjustment gadgetries that can be somewhat overwhelming especially when one doesn't posses the understanding of it all and even for those who do have some understanding. Some of these drivers are beginning to like they are from a James Bond movie. And Im not saying these adjustments are a bad thing for obtaining optimum use to an individual but may be too much for so many who are ignorant about it all.

I don't see it this way. Sure someone could look at every website and end up very confused, but instead they could come to a place like THP and find out what drivers seem best for his particular struggles. Then research or hit just those. If someone wants to research everything it is easier than ever. I also think the clubmakers do a better job of differentiating who their clubs are for now than they used to.

Just by looking at Callaways site real quick I figured out the following
XR16-forgiving with high speed
XR16 Pro-high speed for better players
Sub Zero-Low spin
GBB-long for all players
Double Black Diamond-Long for better players.

So even though there are several different options, you can probably narrow it down to 2-3 really quickly. 5-6 years ago when I started playing it would have been more like this
Option 1-Long and straight
Option 2-Long and lightweight
Option 3-Long and straight

Sure "Wake" I here ya with that. But after narrowing now we have adjustments and such. Look at TM site or especially current Cobra and you have 6 or more drivers and each one has different weights and slides and all kinds of stuff going on. Sure one with some education we can narrow things but even when we do we now have these front and rear sides of weights not to mention the shaft settings. All that stuff can be a tad confusing to one who has some understanding of it and certainly be too overwhelming and confusing to one who doesn't.

I mean I adjusted my Titleist club shaft but that's pretty simple. But it did (new to me at the time) require some small knowledge and also trial and error. Now if I had sliding front weights and changeable and/or sliding rear weights or both in addition to shaft settings? I have to be honest, that can get confusing. demands more knowledge, perhaps more fitting, experience, more trials and errors, whatever, etc... it does create a process even if a little and the more combos of adjustments on a driver the more the process so while I may go through it when/if looking for a new driver, there may be plenty who deter from it. No? I mean if I or you just went out and wanted to buy one of Cobra's new drivers and it had 3 adjustable areas to adjust. It would be a process. One isn't just going to use it without trying to adjust all the settings to their liking. Whether thats done by oneself or with professional fit help its still going to be a process of some sort and perhaps some would find that process a bit too much to bother and possibly be turned off by that from then buying that club.

It is possible to buy an adjustable driver and never make a single adjustment. In fact, it isn't recommended to keep making adjustments.

I'm just confused on the premise of this thread. I've never heard one person, outside of this thread, even hint that adjustability is too complicated so no new driver will be purchased.

Has purchasing a driver become too complicated for the avergae person?

Has purchasing a driver become too complicated for the avergae person?

I understand the point the OP is getting at but I don't think it is a problem. We have more resources available to us than ever before to learn about clubs ourselves before we make a purchase. If we don't want to do that we can simply go into a store and trust the employees to direct us toward appropriate equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is possible to buy an adjustable driver and never make a single adjustment. In fact, it isn't recommended to keep making adjustments.

I'm just confused on the premise of this thread. I've never heard one person, outside of this thread, even hint that adjustability is too complicated so no new driver will be purchased.
Perfect example of this is my buddies dad two summers ago. Saw him at the course with a new cobra driver (forgot which one) and he said he was loving it. I asked "what are you currently playing that at?" He looked at me and said no joke "I have no idea, I just liked the color" lol that's a true story and still makes me laugh but it's funny how well it fits into this thread. He's 61 and was not hesitant at all about having adjustments, he just doesn't use them.

Its not really about too many choices Blugold. My point is more about perhaps too many adjustment gadgetries that can be somewhat overwhelming especially when one doesn't posses the understanding of it all and even for those who do have some understanding. Some of these drivers are beginning to like they are from a James Bond movie. And Im not saying these adjustments are a bad thing for obtaining optimum use to an individual but may be too much for so many who are ignorant about it all.

Sure "Wake" I here ya with that. But after narrowing now we have adjustments and such. Look at TM site or especially current Cobra and you have 6 or more drivers and each one has different weights and slides and all kinds of stuff going on. Sure one with some education we can narrow things but even when we do we now have these front and rear sides of weights not to mention the shaft settings. All that stuff can be a tad confusing to one who has some understanding of it and certainly be too overwhelming and confusing to one who doesn't.

I mean I adjusted my Titleist club shaft but that's pretty simple. But it did (new to me at the time) require some small knowledge and also trial and error. Now if I had sliding front weights and changeable and/or sliding rear weights or both in addition to shaft settings? I have to be honest, that can get confusing. demands more knowledge, perhaps more fitting, experience, more trials and errors, whatever, etc... it does create a process even if a little and the more combos of adjustments on a driver the more the process so while I may go through it when/if looking for a new driver, there may be plenty who deter from it. No? I mean if I or you just went out and wanted to buy one of Cobra's new drivers and it had 3 adjustable areas to adjust. It would be a process. One isn't just going to use it without trying to adjust all the settings to their liking. Whether thats done by oneself or with professional fit help its still going to be a process of some sort and perhaps some would find that process a bit too much to bother and possibly be turned off by that from then buying that club.

The beauty once again is you don't have to. Its fitting options to help someone further dial something in if they choose to. And the education is available faster and easier than ever before. But then again, you could make the case that Every Single Consumer good is more difficult due to choices.

Phones? Oh my all of those gadgets. Where are the buttons?
Cars? - More than just regular gas?. Wait, now they have no gas cars?
Jeans? Sure are, different seam choices now.
Meat? Organic or not? What is this Kobe thing, isnt he a basketball player/rape guy?
Houses? Wait, I can get more than just a ranch house?
Power? Cmon, generators and sun powered? No way.
Pizza? Sauce on top? Thats a myth.
Hamburger? It can be made of chicken, turkey, beef or even veggies? Stop it now.
Golf Bag? Whoa. This one has legs.
TVs? What is with all of these sizes and numbers?

I could be here for a while.

it doesnt take much to do a little homework nowadays and find out what each OEM driver has to offer and it fits you. As a golfer you should know what you like and what works. A fitting will always provide the best results, but the internet (THP specifically) has tons of information at your finger tips.

As I think about this and the constant discussions about driver tech being maxed out, between shaft choices and adjustability, if as a consumer we can eek out a few RPMs of spin either way, and add or decrease launch angle with a simple fitting, why complain about all of the options? Instead of complaining about maxed out tech, how about we take full advantage of all of this tech.

The beauty once again is you don't have to. Its fitting options to help someone further dial something in if they choose to. And the education is available faster and easier than ever before. But then again, you could make the case that Every Single Consumer good is more difficult due to choices.

Phones? Oh my all of those gadgets. Where are the buttons?
Cars? - More than just regular gas?. Wait, now they have no gas cars?
Jeans? Sure are, different seam choices now.
Meat? Organic or not? What is this Kobe thing, isnt he a basketball player/rape guy?
Houses? Wait, I can get more than just a ranch house?
Power? Cmon, generators and sun powered? No way.
Pizza? Sauce on top? Thats a myth.
Hamburger? It can be made of chicken, turkey, beef or even veggies? Stop it now.
Golf Bag? Whoa. This one has legs.
TVs? What is with all of these sizes and numbers?

I could be here for a while.

hahaha this is funny and I tell ya why.

I often say what ever happened to the days when you ran to the store to replace something that broke or buy just about anything for whatever reason and all you had was one or two to chose from. Younger generations don't understand how it was. It was simple, you went and picked it up and came back home. Nowadays you run to the store and the simple little thing you wanted to replace or pick up ends up being a whole wall darn filled with a hundred different ones. Now ya got a friggin homework assignment trying to determine which one to get. Different prices and features etc... I can almost be sorry I even went in the first place. lol...but I suppose it can be somewhat similar here with this topic.

Back