Has your bag ever damaged your shafts?

JNewsted

Reaction score
Handicap
Mine just did.

After 200+ uses with this particular carry bag, I got major shaft damage (quite possibly the worst phrase I've ever spoken) on 4 of my best shafts. I usually keep my gear pristine. Now, they look like they've been sandpapered in a few areas where the shaft would rest along my hip when I walk. I'd done a full dissection of the bag to try and find the cause, but no luck. The ONLY variable was that I was playing in major rain - like 100% soaked. Not sure if rain will make a normally soft (enough) material become abrasive.

I'm really distraught. These were my favorites, and seeing them jacked up put a huge damper on my trip. I may have to buy fresh ones to make myself feel better.

Attachments

• D3C3122A-E27E-489A-A9C7-E47F1B6D2950.jpeg
    D3C3122A-E27E-489A-A9C7-E47F1B6D2950.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Never in 30 + years. My irons have metal shafts, and my graphite wood shafts are protected by the sock part of their head covers. I am very careful with the graphite shafts when placing them back in the bag.

Sorry to hear of the damage. I've not had a bag damage my clubs like that.

I have never had damage like this - only really a worn out grip.

What kind of bag was this?

I have a HotZ 4.5 cart bag that has rivets (the rounded end) that rubbed my driver and fairway wood shafts, due to the newer style OEM headcovers not having the sock that goes all the way down into the bag.

No, but I have a couple of times.

when I carried so long ago we had few if any dividers and I saw rub marks on my driver. I went to head covers on my irons and it stopped. It never dawned on me it might be the bag itself but headcovers on irons and long headcovers on driver and 3w stopped it.

Sorry to hear about the damage. I can honestly say I’ve never had that happen with any of the bags I use. Maybe I need to look a little harder.

i usually walk and carry and noticed that my hybrids have paint worn off but nothing like what you've shown

Callaway Hyperlite.
There’s no rough edges inside either. Total mystery. I’m still pretty bummed but oh well.

That sucks! I have had some wear after many years of use back in the day when there wasn't good bags but nothing like that.

I have surface wear spots on a couple of shafts that I have been using for about 7 years but nothing that affects performance. Those wear spots (white finish that is now black) came from when I was carrying my bag. Have not noticed any wear spots on shafts since I started using a push cart.

Funny that I was doing a search for “KBS white shafts” because I wanted to see if anyone had any experience in dealing with the white paint on the KBS shafts coming off from Bag Rub. Seems like a common thing right??? Can’t figure out why u and I are the only ones who ever thought of this🙄

Hopefully someone replies. I’m getting a set of clubs and I know the white paint has worn off some and was looking to see if KBS stands behind their work or what to do.

I honestly don't know that I see that much damage! If so you'll have to provide some better pics! I've never had that happen. When shafts began changing, bags and club covers began changing with them. And they have pretty much kept pace!

It is tough to tell if it is scratched or rubbed right off but if it is scratched one solution could be go to hobby store and get matching paint and with a little bit of tender care & some polishing compound you could probably cover them up pretty quickly.

You would add virtually no weight to the shaft so won’t impact performance. I have refinished many heads over the years for friends that have damaged them in some fashion during play but with a little paint and elbow grease, most times you can virtually never see original scars with the naked eye.

Finally you have to figure out what on the bags exactly rubbing against the club otherwise it will just do it all over again. You could always take some light cotton like the end of a Q-tip (more is better) and run it along the edge of the bag and if something is sharp it’ll catch it rather easily, identifying the source. Good luck.

Back